Backrest help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backrest help

The XS11 I have has a luggage rack with a back rest that will slide forward for the driver. It has carriage bolts with wing nuts that should secure it in this or other positions. But it looks like something is missing as the backrest still slides when they are tight. I've searched but found nothing on this. Anyone have one like this or have any thoughts ?

Thanks
    Richard

Pictures help

With the aftermarket stuff that could have been rigged onto your rig, hard to say without seeing it. Got any pics of the beast?
    Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
    80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
    93 GSX600F
    80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
    81 XS1100 Special
    81 CB750 C
    80 CB750 C
    78 XS750

Comment

Richard

Comment

Something is missing. This looks like the same rack I've got on Tsunami and Purple Reign. I'll snap a couple of shots today to show you how it should look.
        Ken Talbot

Comment

Isn't there supposed to be some knobs on the sides that tighten the outside sleeve down onto that sliding bar? Something you can tighten and loosen while going down the road if needed.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

There are no other holes to tighten a bolt into the backrest tube inside of the rack tube. I have one like that for the XS750.

It had to have something to jam up that backrest tube where that carriage bolt goes in, to keep it from sliding. I just dont know what was there.
            Richard

Comment

I have that same rack/backrest combo. It has only the bolt/nut and mine dosen't slide. Mine also dosen't go far enough forward for me to lean against.
              Pat Kelly
              <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
              1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
              2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
              1999 Suburban (The Ship)
              1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
              1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Well, after looking at what appears to be the cinch bolt hole, On the bottom It's opening was 1/2". I cut some oil line I had and stuffed in in on the bolt put a spacer I had laying around and a wingnut to compress it and it locked the backrest in place.

Thanks all,
                Richard

Comment

Just back in the door - here's a photo of the mechanism on both of my 'Hs

Ken Talbot

Comment

A bit of a different lock. This one actually goes through the rack cross bar and had something wedging that backrest tube.
                    I used the existing ss carriage bolt, a piece of rubber oil line(red) a chrome spacer and a ss wingnut.
                    Here's what it looks like:
                    Richard

Comment

Maybe I am missing something

How does a bolt n that location lock the sliding bar of the backrest into position? I sit supposed to be pulling that adjoining tube together enough to sinch up the connected tube and hold the backrest?

I do not see how that is doing anything since all your hardware is through the bottom hole in that tube, therefore not clamping anything.

Mine is a very similar rack and the hardware is identicle to Ken's. That hardware is in the tube that the backrest tube slides into.
                      Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                      80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                      93 GSX600F
                      80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                      81 XS1100 Special
                      81 CB750 C
                      80 CB750 C
                      78 XS750

Comment

The carriage bolt is held in place on top in that square hole, the hose compresses outward and wedges against the backrest rail. What you cant see is the cross brace that the bolt goes into actually is open on the side where the backrest tube slides in. The rubber expands enough to grip that tube and hold it here.
                        There was something else there at one time but was probably lost. When I pulled it apart for cleaning I cleaned the rust off of it that was holding it in place. The carriage bolts, washers and wingnuts were just there filling the holes.
                        Richard

Comment

My backrest on my 78E is the same as Kens as well. Looking at the pics of yours, I wonder if it were not some type of camlock that went in that hole. It would be something you could make up to fit if you wanted. I imagine that works the way it is though, so no refinement is needed.
                          2-79 XS1100 SF
                          2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
                          80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
                          Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Locking up the Backrest pad

I had this problem and solved it easily by using a stainless steel hose clamp on each tube. Position the backrest where you want it and then just put the hose clamp on the tube and it can't go any further into the receiving tube. . . . Bohn
                            Bohn
                            78 XS750SE Bought New In 78
                            80 XS1100SG "XS Combination"

Comment

Working...
                            X