Handlebars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handlebars

These horned handle bars just dont cut it for me. After 25min of riding I feel like I've progressed years on the path to carpal tunnel syndrome. I'm looking for suggestions of other types of handlebars that members have found to work well with the XS and that are more ergonomic and comfortable, especially over long trips.

bars

I've got CB650 or 750 bars on my 79 Special. Very comfortable. Check out Mikesxs.com for handlebars. There are many to choose from and inexpensive.
    2H7 (79)
    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Is that on your SF? What throttle and clutch cables do you use? 1100 Standards?
      Last edited by adam79; 01-12-2009, 11:44 PM.

Comment

I've had a few sets of clubman bars. I like them alot, some don't. Didn't have to change anthing but the bars. I think maybe they are upside down, as i've noticed Nortons with them on the other way.....

Last edited by Ken Talbot; 01-13-2009, 10:56 PM. Reason: image spacing, sizing
        79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
        80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
        80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
        79 DT 100

Comment

Phil,

What are the dimensions of the CB750 bars? I always liked the feel of the bars on CB750's and rode them for hours/days at a time.

Don
          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
          93 GSX600F
          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
          81 XS1100 Special
          81 CB750 C
          80 CB750 C
          78 XS750

Comment

bars

Originally posted by adam79 View Post
            Is that on your SF? What throttle and clutch cables do you use? 1100 Standards?
            Adam,
            I'm using all the cables and brake line that belong on a stock 79SF.

Dgxser, 30" width, 9" pullback, 8" rise. All dimensions are approximate.
            Last edited by bikerphil; 01-13-2009, 12:43 PM.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

Comment

I used some bars from an old goldwing on my 79SF. Same pull back but a little wider so your hand are in a more natural position. I didn't have to change any cables.
              1979 XS11SF (Shiny Red Sled)
              1982 XJ11 (winter project- Black Beauty)
              1992 XT225 (yard sale find)

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

[QUOTE=xs11lover;190147]I've had a few sets of clubman bars. I like them alot, some don't. Didn't have to change anthing but the bars.QUOTE]

I'm running a set of clubmans right now. Had to move the clutch cable to the other side of the frame and then loop it over. Also made an s bend in the brake hose. Love 'em.
                Shiny side up,
                650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

CB750 bars on a 79SF

2H7 (79)
                  3H3

Comment

The goldwing bars I have look just the same as bikerphil's picture.
                    1979 XS11SF (Shiny Red Sled)
                    1982 XJ11 (winter project- Black Beauty)
                    1992 XT225 (yard sale find)

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

omar's

Checkout the slideway2 bars on omars streettracker page they are the business!
                      91 kwaka kz1000p
                      Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Great looking ride Phil. I bet the wider angle of the bars makes the mirrors a better angle also! I have been fighting mine to get any kind of view out of them.

Previously owned
                        93 GSX600F
                        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                        81 XS1100 Special
                        81 CB750 C
                        80 CB750 C
                        78 XS750

Comment

Thanks, DG. I bought that bike with drag bars, so I've never had the pleasure of riding a Special with rototiller bars.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

Comment

I doubt I would be considering changing mine if I had not had the "incident" and bent them. I got them pretty close with a pipe on the end of the one that bent, but they are not quite even. I do like the wider look of the CB bars and the better wrist angle. At best my wrist are bent a bit more than I woudl like.

Before I got the 11, I would have said I wanted drag bars. In fact my dream bike was this

I think if I ever actually get down to building one that might be the look I would go for. But I can't see taking one in as good of shape as mine is and tearing it up that much. Maybe if I find a $50 version that has been left in a swamp or something. I do like the drivetrain on these bikes.
                            Last edited by DGXSER; 01-13-2009, 09:44 PM.

Previously owned
                            93 GSX600F
                            80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                            81 XS1100 Special
                            81 CB750 C
                            80 CB750 C
                            78 XS750

Comment

I need to find me some cb750 bars! That looks almost perfect for what i'm going for! Without having to change the cables and crap!!! Anyone wanna donate theres or trade for stock 79sf style bars? Hahahaha!!!!
                              Yes it's a damn nice bike, yes it's in REALLY good condition, yes it would be a shame to chop it, BUT damn how cool would it look with ape hangers?

Comment

Working...
                              X