Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Curious, has your Radio Station's format changed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Curious, has your Radio Station's format changed?

Hey Folks,

Where I live in a modest metropolitan area, the Virginia Tidewater region, we have essentially 2 basic rock stations. One is the first original ROCK station in the region of 30+ years. The other station "WAS" a classic rock/hits type station that took over a useless Country Music station some 15+ years ago.

The younger classic rock station has now changed to classic HIT's=POP stuff, like James Taylor, Carly Simon, Paul Simon, Genesis, Phil Collins, etc.! The still play some of the classic rock artists, but their Pop hits, like the Michael McDonald version of Doobie Bros, Chicago, etc..

And the ROCK station, that mostly played a lot of the modern stuff, Nickelback, Metallica, Kid Rock, etc., has now added much more of the classic rock artists more often, ie. Aerosmith, BadCo, AC/DC, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, ZZ Top, etc.!

SO....I was just wondering if this was a local occurance, or if this is a nationwide transformation of rock stations that is happening??

We also have a newer station that advertises they play ANYTHING, called BOB, playing disco, pop, rock, soul, etc.! I listen to it as well, liking to hear stuff I don't hear with my rock stations.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

The radio stations here are frequently changing formats. we had a top40 station go to "classic pop", easy listening go to pop then to country, a modern rock go to classic rock (which made me feel old cuz the music i listened to in high school is now classic) and i'm sure the multi-cultural stations have changed around lots as well, but i don't listen to them.
    K. Johnson
    -1978 XS750SF - brought back from the dead with carb
    triple clean and boots
    -1982 XJ1100J - brought back from the dead by
    replacing motor after throwing #4 rod
    -1985 XJ750XN - shim job, oil change, ride. not bad for
    $500 including new rear tire.

Comment

None have changed in my area recently, but they do from time to time. We have 2 classic rock, 1 grunge, 99 Latino, 50 Hatian, etc. Internet radio is the way to go. I listen to pandora.com. It sure ain't like is was years ago, huh?
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I have not listend to standard radio in quite a while. We have had a couple new stations recently though. Most still play the same stuff they did when I was a youngster. (20 years ago) Stations here do change their formats every now and then. Like everything else, they are almost all part of national conglomerets now anyway. Very few "local" stations left.

Now I primarily listen to either sattlelite when in my personal vehicle, or my MP3 when in my company vehicle.
        Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
        80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
        93 GSX600F
        80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
        81 XS1100 Special
        81 CB750 C
        80 CB750 C
        78 XS750

Comment

"All part of the plan..."

Paradigm shifts...
          Simple behavour modification techniques.
          Replace the familiar with the unfamiliar...
          Constantly shift focus... till there's no more focus.
          One must understand that once the locus of control is confused, the subject will lose all higher cognitive processing and resistance to authority will decrease.

An individual in a fugue state is easy to control... manipulate...
          What was once bad, is now good. What he once hated, he will now love.
          Desensitization... familiarization ...
          There's a reason why everyone watches "Dancing with the Stars" or those "Retard Island" survival things... they aren't given any other option.
          And if that's all they offer us, we soon learn to become entertained by it.

Conditioning... social engineering...

Music... was Michael Jackson ever that good... with all his screeching or hoot owlish "Woo Hoo"s? Or were you forced to think he was good, only because every radio station played his songs almost non-stop?
          Familiarity not only breeds contempt, but it also breeds acceptance.

I can't recall which TV exec. stated:
          "If they can't shut off the shower, they at least will soon get used to getting wet"

There's a reason they call it TV (or radio) programming.

"I now return you to your regularly scheduled program, currently in progress."
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Here in Spokane everything used to be a good clip behind the times.Music,clothing styles,information,pretty much everything.With technology most everything caught up .
            Music really hasnt though.We also have a "Bob" station.I think it is 103.9 bob fm ,plays music from the 80's 90's and whatever.(Thats their slogan).
            It gets so monotonous listening to our stations ,I spend a lot of time listening to talk radio anymore(does that mean I'm getting old?) or changing stations a lot to hear different songs.
            It's funny though and I dont know if this is common other places but I see a lot of kids listening to the "old" stuff from the 70's and early 80's now.You know the good stuff. Maybe they're getting smarter?Ok maybe not,they probably just realize that a lot of the new stuff sucks.
            80 SG XS1100
            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

We have a BOB too. It does generally have better variety than other stations.

The biggest change in radio here is the morning shows. They are all leaning terribly left, and are more political lambasting of anyone who has a shred of common sense (for continuity purposes we will call them conservatives and christians). The worst one is Todd and Tyler. They routinely attack people for their beliefs, when those beliefs don't include sexual perversion and giving all the money to the government. Only a notch lower than Bob and Tom, since B&T don't get political. When was it ruled that you can't be conservative and still enjoy good music?

So, before 10am, its either country (if you call that music) BOB, or brainless morning shows.

As for format changes, around here they shift with the wind. What ever their advertisers say is what they play. Even T95, our hard alternative rock with Nine inch Nails and such will play Brittney spears, if it gets people to call on their advertisers.
              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

We just recently got a NEW station here in St. Louis. It's "80's, 90's, Whatever we want". They even play some 70's stuff. I listen to one station only though, unless they are stuck on the football game. My Oldies station changed a little about 4 years ago, and moved up one full decade. They lost the doo-wop, and added disco. I don't mind the BeeGees, but I miss the doo-wop... I have no idea what the other stations have done, except for the fact that none have changed to become oldies stations.
                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                -H. Ford

Comment

Music? What's that?

All I get around here on radio or TV are COMMERCIALS! TENS. HUNDREDS. THOUSANDS. TEN THOUSANDS OF #@$!@! COMMERCIALS.

CAPS LOCK "off".

Step back. Breathe.

Pixie dust.... pixie dust...

Okay..... so, where were we? I think the radio stations here have pretty much stayed the same for 20 years. +1 for Pandora (internet radio).

Seriously about the commercials, though.... Count how many car commercials you are exposed to in every hour of radio or TV. I am so sick of spamvertising that I mute the commercials. One can't even switch radio stations or TV channels because the commercials happen at the same time.

End rant.
                  1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                  1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                  1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                  1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                  1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                  1982 XS650
                  1980 XS1100g
                  1979 XS1100sf
                  1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

[QUOTE=Shuriken;189502] +1 for Pandora (internet radio) QUOTE]

Great to listen to while surfing xs11.com or fark.com

No commercials, create your own station(s) with only music you like. Also free.
                    2H7 (79)
                    3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

I heard some rumors that one or two in the area have changed their format, I don't have first hand knowledge as I abandoned terrestrial radio a couple years ago. one thing that does irk me is that my favorite radio station has been for a couple months and will for the next couple weeks play AC/DC all day and all night, was interesting for an hour or so, but has gotten mundane. haven't found a permanent place to listen as late...mostly sports talk. have a nice day and ride safe
                      I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

I listen to CBC.
                        Nothing changes.
                        Not that I wish the lady anything but good health and a long life,
                        but if Sheila Coles does pass on they may well get another announcer
                        and there will be a different voice at least.
                        Fred Hill, S'toon
                        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Seems around here (western Colorado) the radio stations change formats quite often. My favorite station turned Spanish a few months back. Now I listen to 107.9...greatest hits of the '60s and '70s. Trouble is there has been some good music since then. They do play a range of music from that time, not just the pop stuff, but still wish I could have more contemporary music mixed in.

Have taken to listening to my Walkman mp3 player while commuting, OK as long as I keep adding some fresh material but you can only listen to the same stuff for so long.

Getting deparate...have downloaded Audacity to try and rip some of my old cassettes and records, had planned to try over the holidays but didn't get around to it.
                          Jerry Fields
                          '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                          '06 Concours
                          My Galleries Page.
                          My Blog Page.
                          "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

The station has changed a bit..sorta music blocks of harder and then lighter and then specialized programming at night...kinda cleans out your ears and hear some old or never heard of tracks...a not for profit station..it's what I listen to when not listening to talk radio..
                            http://classxradio.com/listenspeed.html
                            '80 XS1100 SG
                            Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

Comment

Back in the days when I listened to radio there was a talk station that I really liked ...then they changed to a jazz station...now they are an oldies rock n roll station. There isnt any consistency from one region to another as for when or why a station changes its "tune".Nowadays I just listen to my CDs' as radio is over-commercialized and ui-imaginative and repetitive....zzzzzzzz
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X