More Automotive help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Automotive help

I recently bought a 2005 Neon, since it was about 10k less than anything else and had less miles.

Long story short, the cruise control lever is broken off, and '05s are a bit after my time of wrenching.

How does one get the steering wheel off? I didn't see any bolts to take the airbag module off to get at the main nut. Could be I haven't contorted my self enough to see them (small car big guy)
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

be very careful

Air bags have an explosive charge in them and you could lose some fingers !! Take it to a pro should cost around 150 to 200 to replace , but who needs cruise control anyway?
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

but who needs cruise control anyway?

* Being first to raise hand!! Hate driving without it.

Tod
      Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
      '06 Suzuki DR650
      *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
      '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
      '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
      '81 XS1100 Special
      '81 YZ250
      '80 XS850 Special
      '80 XR100
      *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I can't speak for your neon but on my blazer you can remove the air bag safely but there is a specific way to do it. You have to remove the battery, wait some time then unplug 2 or 3 bright yellow plugs with big warning stickers on them. When your done ensure you put all the plugs back, otherwise your airbags won't work!

If you get a manual for your car it should detail the steps, my clymers for my blazer does.
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
        Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

Airbags are usually held in by a type of spring clip, hook on the bag or something similar. typically, there is a specific tool used to remove the bag. once the bag is separated from the wheel, remove the wired connectors from the bag. once the connectors are pulled, the contacts for the inflator are shorted together and the bag in inoperative. this makes it safe to move around without unintentional discharge of said inflator. at this point, the wheel can be removed and the offending parts serviced. mot terribly easy, not terribly difficult, but possible. you definitely want to get the bag unplugged asap, you should probably disconnect the battery as well. I spent a year as a crash test dummy, it was fun, got paid to tear stuff up. did side impact testing for the most part, amazing how much damage a pole can do @ 20 miles per hour. have a nice day and ride safe
          I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

steering wheel

2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Originally posted by garthxs View Post
              Air bags have an explosive charge in them and you could lose some fingers !! Take it to a pro should cost around 150 to 200 to replace , but who needs cruise control anyway?
              Was ASE certificated for five years in everything but automatic transmissions.

Had every electrical and electronic certification that Ford and GM had available, and in every factory training seminar, I got 100% on the pre test, which made attendance optional.

As far as pros go, I think I qualify. However, with out a parts breakdown, it is at times difficult to find the hidden bolts, and attachments, which no amount of electrical experience or book training can teach.

Oh, I was also a guilded member in the Detroit Diesel 600 series, and 149s.

And to top it all off, I put over 100k on a Fiat. If that doesn't impress you, you know nothing about cars.

Thanks for the scans Biker Phil. Looking at it, I don't think I will even have to pull the wheel. Probably just the inflation module, and the wheel will stay in place.

Comment

Hey Ivan,you must be Tony.As in Fix It Again Tony.hehe
                80 SG XS1100
                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Tarzan, that is kinda like asking an alcoholic if he is drinking again. Most of them say "No, still."

Comment

Working...
                  X