Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry for you guys in the snow!

Hi,
    Today is Jan 1 09- Happy New Year I was thinking while riding my XS1100 MNS this morning at 9am going to town to visit friends, yea you guessed it no jacket, or gloves needed, just great weather on Jan 1st, perfect for a local putt here in Southern Cal.
    I hear the warm air goes from west to east, so take heart and shine up you scooter, it'll be riding time in a short while!
    1980 Xs1100 MNS Sold for $1800
    2004 Roadstar XV1700
    45 to 50 MPG
    Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before it is too late!

39 and raining here in the Seattle area. Haven't ridden the bike to work in almost three weeks! I don't mind the rain and anything around 40 degrees. I haven't seen anyone riding these past couple of weeks. Even the freeways had a lot of compact snow and ice most of the time. Not good for two wheelers. The snow and slush is finally getting off the side streets after our record snowfall.

It's been fun having an excuse to put the big old diesel Suburban in four wheel drive. But am looking forward to riding on Monday.

Dick
    Last edited by greatnw; 01-01-2009, 02:04 PM.
    Bothell, WA
    1980 XS1100SG

Comment

Every day

Hardly a day goes by I don't ride somewhere. Maybe I should take a ride to Hemet sometime. Gonna be in the mid 60's here today, gotta ride........
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
      Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
      Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system
      Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

CCCCCold

Well it is -25C here right now and with the wind chill it is -35C. We have about 6-8 inches of snow in the front yard so not much chance of a new years ride here. But hey we get loads of time to fix em up...lol.
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Yea ,we've had over 60 inches of snow in the last few weeks here.I had to snowblow and shovel twice today.I did glance over at the XS ,its kinda sad.
          Maybe I should put it on the centersatnd and fire it up.Then turn on a box fan and sit on it for effect.

Well at least you guys down south can ride.
          80 SG XS1100
          14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

26 when I left for the polar bear ride this morning at 9.... It was up to 32 when I rolled back in at 5. Had the hippo hands and lowers on; rollin old school with a bunch of wingers in electric suits.
            "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
            1981 LH

Comment

It warmed up to 18 degrees here.Not much in the line of riding until the salt is off the roads.Years ago -maybe 12- i stopped at a stop sign and slid and fell on the side because of the excess salt on the road.I'm looking forward to fixing my stuck caliper and installing a new master cylinder.Tomorrow i will fix the caliper.But always fun to ride my Jeep in the snow!
              1980 XS1100 SG
              Inline fuel filters
              New wires in old coils-outer spark plugs
              160 mph speedometer mod
              Kerker Exhaust
              xschop K & N air filter setup
              Dynojet Recalibration kit
              1999 Kawasaki ZRX1100
              1997 Jeep Cherokee 4.5"lift installed

Comment

Blizzard of the East

I've not been posting much lately but just went thru a blizzard here in Nova Scotia Canada...white outs , power outages, 12" ns. of snow.....but its a new year and summer will come again....and "Ride East" 2009.....if you live somewhere warm, enjoy and ride, ride, ride.....
                Bruce in the...
                "The Great White North"
                78XS1100 with a 79 Special heart....
                Bruce Doucette
                Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

Yep, 69F this morning at 9AM. Had to break out the leather.
                  2H7 (79)
                  3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

☮

Comment

yea you guessed it no jacket, or gloves needed
                    There is no weather that requires no jacket or gloves. Wear your gloves, jacket, helmet, and boots every time you ride; no matter what. I wear them when it's 100 degrees. If the horror stories don't scare you, then at least do it for the sake of those that love you. ATGATT

Ride safely.
                    Tim Ripley - Gaithersburg, MD
                    1981 XS1100 Special "Spoiled Rotten" Just sold - currently bikeless!!
                    23mm float height
                    120 main jets
                    42.5 pilot jets
                    drilled stock airbox with K&N
                    Jardine 4 to 1 Exhaust
                    spade fusebox
                    1st and 2nd gear fix

Comment

Amen to that!

Amen to that Pastor.....got to have protection if the going gets rough!
                      Bruce
                      Bruce Doucette
                      Phone #1 902 827 3217

Comment

You guys talk like snow is all bad. While I miss riding my XJ in the winter, snow does have some good qualities:

Taken about a week ago on Grand Mesa. This is my "new" 2005 Yamaha RX-1 snowmobile, which uses an engine based on Yamaha's R1 motorcycle engine. Many of the engine components are interchangeable.

Colorado River Valley (I-70 corridor) in background of bottom photo. I live about 34 miles from where this photo was taken.

Sorry you "sunny weather" guys can't enjoy more than 1 type of riding season....
                        Jerry Fields
                        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                        '06 Concours
                        My Galleries Page.
                        My Blog Page.
                        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Nice Ride Jerry

Nice ride Jerry,,,,I lived in Ohio before the snowmobiles were invented. Damn I feel Old. Since then, have rented them up in Mammoth Ca. and they are a blast. Like motorcycling with speed and a super cushy ride, like snowboarding with 100 hp engine, snow flying everywhere. Cool. You are right, motorcycling is one fine type of riding, but yours a huge amounts of fun. However, not a lot of snow country in San Diego, just surf, xs1100 riding and bikinis, life is tough. Regards, Mike in S.Diego
                          mike
                          1982 xj1100 maxim
                          1981 venture bagger
                          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
                          1959 wife

Comment

I love snow. I often turn on the weather channel to watch it fall. I hear that it is cold - is that true?

Washed my bike today in the front yard. Got into a hose squirt fight with my wife. Got soaked. It was a nice way to cool off. It's 5 p.m. and still 77.

I would say something about going for a ride, but I do that every day.

Patrick
                            The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                            1969 Yamaha DT1B
                            Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Went out today for a quick ride and after about 50 miles I headed back home because it got too cold (45) for me. Even with the Windjammer my hands got cold, got painful to pull in the clutch lever. Actually feeling good to type on my laptop right now (it's rather warm, I refer to it as my little convection oven). Did have an enjoyable ride other than the cold hands though (do need lowers for the windjammer though).

The heat off the engine sure felt good when I had to stop.
                              Cy

1980 XS1100G (Brutus) w/81H Engine
                              Duplicolor Mirage Paint Job (Purple/Green)
                              Vetter Windjammer IV
                              Vetter hard bags & Trunk
                              OEM Luggage Rack
                              Jardine Spaghetti 4-2 exhaust system
                              Spade Fuse Box
                              Turn Signal Auto Cancel Mod
                              750 FD Mod
                              TC Spin on Oil Filter Adapter (temp removed)
                              XJ1100 Front Footpegs
                              XJ1100 Shocks

I was always taught to respect my elders, but it keeps getting harder to find one.

Comment

Working...
                              X