Shipping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shipping

Thanks to efforts of Cobia(sp) we have found a way to ship large items like fairings, exhaust systems etc. that is fast and cheap. I sent a '79 F fuel tank to Omaha, big ugly duct taped box, and it was there in 48 hrs, cost, $28.40. The only problem is the recipriant must go to the nearest Greyhound bus terminal to retreive the package. Oops, I think I gave away the secret.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Greyhound terminals are also great places to pick up run-away teenage girls.
    What it cost to ship them, I don't know.

I wrote recently that AMTRAK ships too, but Greyhound seems cheaper and more convenient... having more terminals.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

And one of the nice things about Greyhound is for relatively short distances you get same day delivery. Years ago, when I worked for newspapers and photographers shot on film, the stringers we hired in outlying areas would ship their film to us on Greyhound. Quick, cheap and there by deadline.

Also, when we moved to Texas from Wisconsin many years ago, we shipped all of our household possessions that would fit in big boxes from Milwaukee to Dallas on Amtrak. Had to pick them up at the depot and had to claim everything inside the boxes was books and clothing (unbreakable) but we shipped seven big boxes for less than $30. Dirt cheap.

Both good options.

Patrick
      The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
      1969 Yamaha DT1B
      Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

I thought everyone knew about the bus lines. Back in the early 60's, when I worked for a wrecking yard, we used to be on a cross country tel-type network, and that is how we shipped the rush orders. You don't find out things like that if you don't ask us old guys
        Fastmover
        "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
        lion". SHL
        78 XS1100e

Comment

You don't find out things like that if you don't ask us old guys

Yeah.. but then we have to put up with the, "In my day... Uphill both ways to school in the snow barefoot" thing. By the time you get around to teaching us something, we've either fallen asleep, or you have forgotten what it is you were saying!

I better hush.. I'm creeping up on that old guy status in a hurry! lol.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Fed ex ground really isn't too bad on big boxes that aren't too heavy. I shipped a stock fairing and trunk one time for $17. If you do the paperwork on line and ship from business to business. I shipped a frame on a bus, the guy I sent it to said, it looked like the dragged it behind the bus when he got it.!? As far as young girls at the bus terminal.. they like candy.
            79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
            80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
            80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
            79 DT 100

Comment

High priced

Cobia said that FedEx wanted $500, UPS wanted $400, that's why he started ooking around. The package was still intact when the fairing got here, no damage at all.
              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
              Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system
              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Working...