New Winter Project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Winter Project

Sold my Xj650 Turbo Last week. Been looking for another project. It didn't take long...Picked up a 79 XS ELeven Special for $200 tonight. Not running, 54k on it. But in decent shape and it's all there, been sitting 3 years in a garage 6 miles away. 4 into 1 Header, New seat, Backrest/rack, 3 year old tires w/500mi on them.

Richard

Richard

Looks great for $200, Any custom plans or stock?
    79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
    80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
    80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
    79 DT 100

Comment

Nice find!

Congratulations!

Paul
      Paul
      1983 XJ1100 Maxim
      1979 XS1100 Standard
      1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Great find!

and you have enough time to have it all completed by the Meeting of the Minds in June between Dallas and Ft Worth...

Welcome to the board
        81 SH Something Special
        81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
        81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
        80 LG Black Magic
        78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
        For those on FB

Comment

Thanks all. I've been lurking around for a while. I have actually been looking for an XS/XJ 1100 for a while now. Most of my time in the last 3 years has been spent with XJ650's, XS750's, XV700, CB900 and a couple a smaller zukes and hondas.

Obviously I didn't get the memo about the meeting! Guess I'll have to do a search.

Not much for customizing. Just recondition, ride em then sell em.

Gonna tear into it today. Compression looked good. Typical rubber deterioration, So intake rubber will have to be dealt with. Carbs will be the first thing off and gone through as soon as I can get the side cover lock unlocked!
          Richard

Comment

Richard,

You sure that's a '79? I'm no expert, but that one has the same tank as my '81 MNS. Looks like the PO did some customization with the handlebars and grips, so maybe the tank was swapped out too?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!!
            1980 XS850SG - Sold
            1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
            Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
            Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
            -H. Ford

Comment

here's a link to the meeting information... hope you can make it

Meeting of the Minds 2009

Aren't the Special tanks the same? The Midnights have the gold trim and chrome emblems... looks like this one has the regular gold emblems, silver gas cap and the trim isn't gold...
              81 SH Something Special
              81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
              80 LG Black Magic
              78 E Standard Practice

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
              For those on FB

Comment

The process for unlocking the side cover:

Insert key, gently twist and wiggle like hell.

Works on mine.
                Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Originally posted by Wildkat View Post
                  Aren't the Special tanks the same? The Midnights have the gold trim and chrome emblems... looks like this one has the regular gold emblems, silver gas cap and the trim isn't gold...
                  I was referring to the shape. I thought the '79 tanks were a different shape than the '80/'81 models. Like I said, I'm no expert...
                  1980 XS850SG - Sold
                  Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                  Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

-H. Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan View Post
                    The process for unlocking the side cover:

Insert key, gently twist and wiggle like hell.

Works on mine.
                    I wish mine locked... The keyhole is there, and the metal thing that is supposed to latch into the hole is there, but I just give it a tug and it comes right out on mine. Of course, it looks like the metal latch is a home-made replacement, epoxy'd onto the cover.
                    1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Thanks Wildkat.

Interesting CatatonicBug. The Guy was calling it a midnight special, which I dont think it is. VIN is a 3H3011XXX which is a 79 XS1100SF Black/Gold.
                      So far it all looks factory. Original paint which is all the same on tank & sidecovers. Bars could have been swapped out. And yes, has those crappy foam grips that are rock hard!

Sidecover lock got freed up from sitting all night after spraying with some Aero Kroil. Time to get busy!
                      Richard

Comment

Nice find.That seat looks comfortable.Midnights have a blacked out engine too.It isnt a midnight.
                        80 SG XS1100
                        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by tarzan View Post
                          Nice find.That seat looks comfortable.Midnights have a blacked out engine too.It isnt a midnight.
                          Definitely not a MNS. According to several posts on this forum, a VIN starting with 3H3 means a '79 Special. However, we all know that hybrids are a very common thing with these older bikes, so there is a possibility that you have parts from several other bikes.
                          1980 XS850SG - Sold

-H. Ford

Comment

Yup, It's a 79 special all the way. This is what it looked like new and all stock.

Last edited by Ken Talbot; 12-31-2008, 05:04 PM.
                            79 XS11 Special (Lazarus)
                            80 XS850 Special (Old Faithful)
                            80 XS11 Standard sorta stock (Beatrice)
                            79 DT 100

Comment

Ahem...
                              Show off...

Originally posted by xs11lover View Post
                              Yup, It's a 79 special all the way. This is what it looked like new and all stock.

81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                              80 LG Black Magic
                              78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                              For those on FB

Comment

Working...
                              X