Networks, I really hate 'em

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Networks, I really hate 'em

just added a netgear wireless router to my growing list of computer equipment

but I can't figure it out.....

I've hooked it up, appears to be working, internet everywhere, but I had that before

dsl via ethernet cable thru the house, 2 PC's (both running XP) an Xbox 360, and a notebook (vista)

notebook has www thru twisted and wireless

BUT, I don't have access to files from one to another

sharing is enabled on all, the workgroup is the same on all,
    1 Pc and the laptop see no computer or workgroups
    1 pc sees all other computers but cannot access

can anyone help
    1980 XS11 Special aka The Monster
    "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
    My Photo Bucket

Sorry Dude,

No help from me! I,too, have a wireless access point, wired router, 2 desktops, the access point with 4 wireless devices running thru it...mine and swmbo's and sister-n-laws laptops, and the Wii.

BUT I never bothered trying to set up an actual NETWORK among the 'puters, just wanted to have/share internet access!

I know with routers, you have to access them via a hardline to set them up, hope you set up at least WEP security, possibly even MAC address filtering?

Have you checked out the Windows XP home network setup up wizard? Have you checked the Windows XP site/knowledge base?

Hope some 'puter guru's will chime in, but just like with the bikes, will probably need more info on what you've tried and setup before they can troubleshoot it with you!? Good Luck.
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Local Network IP Addresses and Firewalls

Have you reset the connections on all machines on your network since you installed the new router?

Check the new router's configuration options. Some routers can block file sharing and there may be an option to allow/not allow wireless devices to communicate with each other.

Are you still using the same local network addresses on your new router that you used with the old router? You didn't say which wireless Netgear router you have, I have a WPN824, but some Netgear routers use 192.168.0.1 local addresses by default and others use 192.168.1.1 local addresses.

If the individual connections and firewalls on the machines on your network are set to allow, say, local file sharing on the 192.168.0.1 address range and you install a new router that uses the 192.168.1.1 range, you'll have Internet but no local file sharing.

Do you have a third-party firewall? Norton was the problem in No file sharing on the Netgear forum.

To test for a firewall issue: Disconnect the WAN uplink or the DSL modem while you do your local testing.
      Turn off the firewalls on the local machines that have connectivity issues.

If we can't get you up and running here you can talk to other users in the Netgear Wireless Forum about your specific router.

Regards,

Scott
      -- Scott
      _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
      1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
      1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
      1979 XS1100F: parts
      2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

If disabling the firewalls doesn't work then something else you can try is to create an account with the same user name and password on all of the machines, log in under that account on one of the machines and see if you can then access the others.

I've come across this type of thing several times on XP machines and at one time I knew how to get around it but its been forgoten and so now I just create a user name and password and then "hide" it using the power tools for XP.
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
        Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

Well, near as I figure, I've bought the wrong piece of equipment

I bought a NetGear WGR614,
          I think it's only meant to share an internet connection,
          just like my dsl router which is a Speedstream 6520 (provided by my ISP)

I tried for about a week to get the speedstream to 'network' with the other computers, nothing

looking like the same for the netgear

SO what is it that I need????????
          "My life used to be a Soap Opera, until I realized something, I own the network."
          My Photo Bucket

Comment

On my machines, I used the "master" XP Pro machine to create the files needed for the network. I then loaded the files on the laptops, and the "master" is the print server for both the inkjet and the laser printer. If you DO NOT use the XP as the master, and run the rest as part of "its" network, you may have problems.
            I have NOT looked at other issues, as this has worked with TWO wireless routers. my old one was an SMC2804WBRP-G, the new one is a Belkin F5D8233-4v3. Worked with both of them.
            XP does have a "helper" program for setting up a home network. it's easy to use, and does work.
            Ray Matteis
            KE6NHG
            XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
            XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Originally posted by renegade_xs11g View Post
              Well, near as I figure, I've bought the wrong piece of equipment

I bought a NetGear WGR614,
              I think it's only meant to share an internet connection,
              just like my dsl router which is a Speedstream 6520 (provided by my ISP)

I tried for about a week to get the speedstream to 'network' with the other computers, nothing

looking like the same for the netgear

SO what is it that I need????????

Renegade, you should have everything you need to create a shared Internet connection and a local wired and wireless network. If you couldn't use the LAN with your old Speedstream router and now you have the same problem with a new Netgear router, then the problem is most likely not the router.

Now, <ducking> before you throw the keyboard and the monitor through the nearest wall or window: Are your two PCs using XP Pro, XP Home, or XP Media Center?

What version of Vista do you have on the laptop?

Is a simple power-saving feature messing with your mind and your LAN?

How is the XBox connected to the network?

Have you tried Ray's suggestion to run one of the XP Network Setup wizards?

Regards,

Scott
              -- Scott
              _____

2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Magic, all magic!
                RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

Originally posted by
                  Now, <ducking> before you throw the keyboard and the monitor through the nearest wall or window: Are your two PCs using XP Pro, XP Home, or XP Media Center?

What version of Vista do you have on the laptop?

Is a [url=http://www.practicallynetworked.com/support/wakeonlan.htm
                  simple power-saving feature[/url] messing with your mind and your LAN?

How is the XBox connected to the network?

Have you tried Ray's suggestion to run one of the XP Network Setup wizards?

Regards,

Scott
                  laptop is running Vista Home Basic service pack 1
                  Desk Computer (the main pc in house) is running XP Home Version 2002 service pack 2
                  Travisdesk (my sons) is running XP Home 2002 service pack 1
                  Everything is hard wired (ethernet cable) including the laptop even tho it is capable of wireless

the speedstream is still hooked up, I need it for the DSL, but I didn't think after all I tried it would act as a HUB, which is why I bought the Netgear

Now I must say sometimes I can see the other computers, I have seen the Xbox pop-up and last night the xbox accessed pictures and music from the laptop, but that was after I'd unhooked the netgear

boy am I confused
                  My Photo Bucket

Comment

... the speedstream is still hooked up, I need it for the DSL, but I didn't think after all I tried it would act as a HUB, which is why I bought the Netgear

Now I must say sometimes I can see the other computers, I have seen the Xbox pop-up and last night the xbox accessed pictures and music from the laptop, but that was after I'd unhooked the netgear

boy am I confused
                    Okay, the computers are all using simple editions of Windows with no fancy networking and file and directory permissions to get trampled under foot.

Did you turn off the firewalls on the PCs and the laptop?

To use both routers, set up the Netgear router to serve as a wireless Access Point. This link has a picture and instructions: Using WPN824, WGR614, or WGT624 Routers as an Access Point
                    These instructions — for bridging wireless clients to a wired LAN — apply to WGR614v6, WGT624v3, and WPN824. They may also work on other wireless routers.
                    <more>
                    After you set up the Netgear router as a Wireless Access Point, try Ray's suggestion and run the XP and Vista Network Setup Wizards for the PCs and the laptop.

Okay, how are you doing so far? No urges to grab the bundle of Ethernet cables and swing the routers over your head like John Wayne and slam them into the wall?

Great! You're doing just fine! Disable the firewalls on the PCs and the laptop, restart the network and reboot the computers.

<cue Jeopardy music>.
                    </cue Jeopardy music>

Okay, why can't all of your machines see one another and share files?

Have you allowed enough time after restarting the network for the Windows Browse List to update? It can take some time.

If a computer or share isn't showing up in Network Neighborhood, Windows Search can find a machine or a shared folder by using its UNC name:

\\server\share\file_path

If you know the network IP address, type it into the Search box and the computer and its shares should show up.

If you've:
                    reconfigured the Netgear router as a Wireless Access Point
                    run the Network Setup Wizards
                    turned off the firewalls
                    restarted the network
                    rebooted the computers
                    used the Search feature

and you still can't see the other computers and shares on your network then have a beer or several and come on back!

Regards,

Scott
                    -- Scott
                    _____

Comment

Geez, sounds like the old "did you clean the carbs", .. "did you clean the carbs", .. "did you clean the carbs", "did you clean the carbs", scenario!
                      Ken Talbot

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean Ken, but I've cleaned them three times, or maybe 4
                        at any rate Yes I have disabled the firewall on all pc and the laptop etc.etc.etc.Still notta

I gotta go back to work the first chance I'll have to try anything else, will porb be Saturday

Thanks Again for the help
                        My Photo Bucket

Comment

Yeah, I know what you mean Ken, but I've cleaned them three times, or maybe 4
                          at any rate Yes I have disabled the firewall on all pc and the laptop etc.etc.etc.Still notta

I gotta go back to work the first chance I'll have to try anything else, will porb be Saturday

Thanks Again for the help
                          You're welcome, but I really don't know if I've helped or hindered.

I'll be out in Arizona this weekend - no Internet. I'm testing the new clutch on my bike and putting a newly-rebuilt engine in a ladyfriend's (yes, the one that was riding with me when I almost hit a deer) '65 Ford van.

Regards,

Scott
                          -- Scott
                          _____

Comment

It was the Firewall

Ok, well, it was the firewall!
                            I got home, had been thinking on this for a while, double checked, main computer had the third party firewall still on,

Disable it, and it works, using the speedstream not the netgear

Now I just have to fix a few other things, like one of the computers crashed after updating to service pack 2,

oh, and fixing my wifes Saturn, the starter, after un-seizing, yeah un-seizing the motor, gave up
                            My Photo Bucket

Comment

Ok, well, it was the firewall!
                              I just got back from Arizona and I see you had a merry Christmas!

Regards,

Scott
                              -- Scott
                              _____

Comment

Working...
                              X