2nd gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd gear

Does every year of the XS eleven model share the same 2nd gear slip? I want to buy a tranny off a 78 standard for my 79 special.

Every year and model of the XS and XJ have the same gears... so all have the weakness. Some never show it.. some show it in 2nd, some in 1st.. but they are the weak link when stock. If buying some, I would dremmel them before using. Since that's only going to save you a few hours by having them done beforehand.. I would skip buying the "New" gears and just fix what you have.
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I agree with trbig. If you buy used gears you should backcut them before installing. If you are going to do that, just backcut the ones that you have.
      Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
      '82 XJ1100
      '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Im going to back cut then. So there are really no changes at all int the tranny over the years? A 78 standard will swap into an 82 special?

Comment

Gears

All the same unless you buy new ones ( very xspensive) Lots of info with pics on this site on how to do the fix. The newer gears are all ready backcut but for 500 bucks . @ 2 hours to do the backcutting max. You can do it we all have and i never had a tranny apart before. good luck
          Doug
          Doug Mitchell
          82 XJ1100 sold
          2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
          2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
          1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
          47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

washer

Also, don't forget about the washer swap. I have found that this will double the life expectancy of 2nd gear.
            2H7 (79)
            3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Yes, this job seems very intimidating to me, so when I do it Ill be asking several questions. I found multiple step by step processes in the tech tips, so thats what Im going to follow. Is the washer swap tip in one of those?

Comment

Do a search for washer swap, something should come up. It's very simple. There is a washer on the left side of 2nd gear. When re-assembling the gears on the counter shaft, relocate the washer to the right side of 2nd gear. That's it. Everything else the same as in the diagram.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

Comment

Here's a thread I posted a few pics on. Maybe it will help with the washer questions..

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=washer+swap

And yes...every bike, every model, every year XS/XJ has the same gears.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

I tried the washer swap on my bike when I dremeled the gears. I found that the gear woudn't completely clear when the transmission was in neutral. It was just interfering by a few thousandths, so I reverted and went with only the back cut gear. I may have done something wrong, but I don't think so. This is just a warning to make sure you check it before you reassemble it, just in case.
                    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Ivan,

Sounds like your shift fork for 5th gear maybe be a bit worn or bent then? There shouldn't be any problem clearing. That washer doesn't move it much.. but every little bit SHOULD help.

The problem I have had with the washer swap, was after I put the retaining clip back in, the 2nd gear was very stiff on the shaft. I don't understand that since you are still taking up the same amount of room with the same pieces.. just in a different order. But I have never seen a problem and it will loosen back up after being run a bit.

Tod

Current bikes:
                      '06 Suzuki DR650
                      '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                      '81 XS1100 Special
                      '81 YZ250
                      '80 XS850 Special
                      '80 XR100

Comment

Originally posted by trbig View Post

The problem I have had with the washer swap, was after I put the retaining clip back in, the 2nd gear was very stiff on the shaft. I don't understand that since you are still taking up the same amount of room with the same pieces.. just in a different order. But I have never seen a problem and it will loosen back up after being run a bit.

I've had that problem too. It seems that the retaining clip gets distorted when being removed. That type of clip can be a pain in the arse. My solution was to straighten the clip out as best as possible and carefully re-fit. Seemed to help. Also, I had a few extra washers which I mic'd to find the thinnest one. This also helped.
                        2H7 (79)
                        3H3

Comment

That could very well be Tod. Like I said it wasn't binding up at all, just the tops of the cogs were grazing the gear. I haven't had a problem since I back cut the gears though, so I am not terribly worried about it.
                          Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                          X