On the road again....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On the road again....

The Pathfinder, though slightly different parts in some places is on the road again. Only thing left to replace is the exhaust as the right side was dented some. It's still functional, just cosmetics to deal with. One thing different is the forks which are much stiffer than the original. Formally, when hard braking with the front brake, I could almost bottom the forks out. These forks are so stiff I can't see any movement when hard braking and only about an inch when going over a speed bump which rattled my teeth for sure. I dumped any oil I could get out of them and refilled with 15W fork oil. Do you think that's too thick? Anyway, tomorrow I go on a little shakedown cruise. Probably go to Chino to see Pete since he has offered me a new exhaust system.

SPECIAL THANKS to The Whiz, Garthxs, PPV, Cobia, Andreas Weiss any others I may have forgotten (old f**ts memory) and all who were instrumental in helping me get on the road again.
    Last edited by planedick; 11-13-2008, 11:12 PM.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

congrats!

That's great news let me. Know when you can come down to SD
    91 kwaka kz1000p
    Stock

( Insert clever quote here )

Comment

Let me know if there is ANYTHING you need for the bike. I should have most parts in the shed, so just ask!!
      Ray Matteis
      KE6NHG
      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Fabulous news!

It's great to hear that you're back in the saddle once again and, that the 'Pathfinder' is up and running and well on its way to its former glory.
        1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
        1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
        1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
        1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
        2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Yee haw!

Isnt it a great feeling?After a 16 month hiatus my '82 XJ came back "online" this past summer.After a tug of war between me and all those who have helped.It finally surrendered and we were all victorius.Congrats and hope you not only regain its former glory but that you also bring it to a greater glory as well.Ride safe...you all have my envy living out WestJust one more reason why this site and the people here ROCK!
          1980 XS650G Special-Two
          1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Glad to see you climb back on the horse.I know that must have been difficult.
            80 SG XS1100
            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Still glad you're okay

Originally posted by planedick View Post
              The Pathfinder, though slightly different parts in some places is on the road again.
              but getting your bike fixed and ridable again is good news, too!

Regards,

Scott
              -- Scott
              _____
              ♬
              2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
              ♬

Comment

Back in the saddle!!

I bet it feels real good to twist that throttle again.
                Happy riding. And, oh yeah, no more rock walls please. We're running out of parts....lol!!!
                1980G Standard, Restored
                Kerker 4 - 1
                850 Rear End Mod
                2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                Automatic CCT
                1980GH Special, Restored
                Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Way to go, Planedick! You inspire me to finish my bike, down now 13 months. Gotta do it! Ride safe.
                  1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

oil weight

When I changed the oil in my forks this summer I changed from 5wt. with air to 15wt. without air and found the forks to be to be too stiff so I changed to a mix of 15wt/7wt. Which still seems to be too stiff at low speeds , but a 50mph and above it smooths out and handles like a dream, even so I think I will be dropping down to 10wt. or back to 5wt. and air, in the near future.
                    Fastmover
                    "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
                    lion". SHL
                    78 XS1100e

Comment

You know the rules....

In your excitement you may have forgotten the # 1 rule around here....
                      Where are the PICS ?? Want to see that fairing on it!!
                      1980G Standard, Restored
                      Kerker 4 - 1
                      850 Rear End Mod
                      2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
                      Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
                      Automatic CCT
                      1980GH Special, Restored
                      Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
                      '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
                      Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Pics

Well, getting "back on the horse" was easy, in fact it wasn't nearly as quick as I would have liked. Yesterday was the first time on the freeway for a "high speed run". Everything seems OK. I plan on going to the car wash today to clean it up then I will take some pics. I still have the rt side exhaust to deal with and get some bags again.
                        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                        Drilled airbox
                        Tkat fork brace
                        Hardly mufflers
                        late model carbs
                        Newer style fuses
                        Oil pressure guage
                        Custom security system
                        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

"...finish my bike, down now 13 months. Gotta ..."

Poprock .... I wonder about that ??? .... bought an SF in a thousand pieces on the Central Oregon Coast up above Florence and hauled it back two years ago now, and it STILL ain't all the way done. Must be somethin' in the water up there. Everytime I'm just about finish this one, it gets broken up again .... long stories. Hope you get 'er done for the next season, bro'.

Don't worry about Planedick either ... he'll be fine.... once he zeros in on somethin' , watch out ... no stoppin' him !!
                          80G Mini-bagger
                          VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                          79SF eventually dismantled for parts
                          79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
                          79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
                          79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Well, it's always something. The water isn't it, it's me. All I need is to replace some fuel lines and put the tank on. If the carbs are still OK it should fire right up. We waited on parts, then we goofed up. Geezer came to my rescue on the cams and chain and got me to this near point. I caught a bad cold trimming hedge this week and it's just beginning to go away. As soon as I kick this bug I'll button it up and see if it starts.
                            It reminds me of the insurance ad in Rider mag that says "Life without a bike is just...life." Only I didn't wear my bike gear to trim the hedge.
                            1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

Originally posted by Poprock View Post
                              Way to go, Planedick! You inspire me to finish my bike, down now 13 months. Gotta do it! Ride safe.
                              Congrats Plane Dick. You are an inspiration. Poprock, It was sure fun riding with you and Ray too. Spring time is coming. At least one running bike will be a good thing!

Hope to see y'all again & ride with you again soon.

Brent in GA
                              It is a great big beautiful world out there
                              Brent in GA
                              Yamaha 80XS1100SG, HD Firefighter Special Edition 02 Road King, Honda 450 rat, 08 Buell 1125R tour modified, 83 goldwing parts bike gone-traded for XJ1100, 2014 HD electraglide police

Comment

Working...
                              X