Buy a house right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shuriken View Post
    Okay, thanks everyone for the replies so far.

Let's get more specific. Would you buy a house in Utah right now?
    I wish I could buy a house in Utah. SWMBO was born & raised in SLC, and wants sooo badly to go back and be close to her family. I wish I could afford to sell and move her back there.

The problem is that the value of my house has dropped to the point that I couldn't pay off both mortgages with what I would get. If I didn't have a house now, and I didn't have the drive to go to Utah, I wouldn't buy right now. I see our economy falling much lower than it is at the moment, and I think the house prices will be dropping considerably lower in the next few years. I wait until it's on it's way back up again.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

I think it is a buyers market. I have my Mothers house for sale. It is nearly 2000 sq.ft. It has four bedrooms with 2 1/2 baths. Insured for $104,000 replacement cost.
      I would take $50,000. I have a couple that has applied for a loan. I do hope to sell this house so i can settle the estate. If it doesn't sell i will buy it myself just to close the estate. Roy

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...%20for%20sale/
      Roy Bean ebay moniker roy-b-boy-b
      1982 Xj 1100 2002 V Star

Comment

I put in an offer on a house and then was told I had to prequal with Countrywide. Already have 2 prequals from A+ lenders. Screw that. I ain't gettin' into bed with CountryFried....

Offer promptly withdrawn.
        1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
        1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
        1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
        1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
        1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
        1982 XS650
        1980 XS1100g
        1979 XS1100sf
        1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

I don't get it, why would a seller care where your money is coming from? Thats stupid on their part and I don't blame you for walking away.
          1979 xs1100 Special -
          Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
          Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
          My Bike:
          [link is broken]

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
            I don't get it, why would a seller care where your money is coming from? Thats stupid on their part and I don't blame you for walking away.
            Here are 3 reasons Countrywide would do it:
            1. They already foreclosed once, they don't want to risk doing it again. By forcing you to prequal through them, they have less risk.
            2. They want you to prequal through them so that they have the chance to finance you.
            3. They want access to all your financials so they can make the highest possible counter offers.

All of it is crap, IMO.
            1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
            1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
            1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
            1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
            1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
            1982 XS650
            1980 XS1100g
            1979 XS1100sf
            1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

I guess I get 2 and 3 from a greedy business perspective, I hadn't thought about it that way.

1 makes no sense, if you qualified through some other company then when you buy the house Countrywide gets whatever the agreed price is from whomever your loan is through and they no longer have any risk associated with the house. Thats to say that if you didn't make a single payment countrywide would still have their money and whatever bank you used would foreclose on the house.
              1979 xs1100 Special -
              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
              Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
              My Bike:
              [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
              X