Buy a house right now?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buy a house right now?

Would you buy a house right now? (should make for an interesting discussion!)
    Yes
    46.43%
    No
    32.14%
    Maybe
    21.43%
    1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
    1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
    1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
    1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
    1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
    1982 XS650
    1980 XS1100g
    1979 XS1100sf
    1978 XS1100e donor

Got one

Originally posted by Shuriken View Post
    Would you buy a house right now? (should make for an interesting discussion!)
    But if I didnt..I doubt I would only because I am un-employed.I would think that the market is good for buyers and not so good for sellers.At least at this particular time.My neighbor just sold their house a few months ago...they were asking $565,000 and actually sold for $510,000 which I feel is pretty good for both the seller and buyer.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I would if I felt my job was secure. If you can afford it and you feel sure that you won't be "cut" then I'd go for it for sure. You've got a lot going for you right now if your a buyer, however you may have a tough time getting a loan if you don't have 10 or 20% to put down. A few years ago it was easy to get a home with "no money" down but I hear thats getting a lot more difficult.
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

it was easy to get a home with "no money" down but I hear thats getting a lot more difficult
        That's not what the guy on the late night infomercials says.
        "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Originally posted by psycoreefer View Post
          A few years ago it was easy to get a home with "no money" down but I hear thats getting a lot more difficult.
          We got into our house about a year and a half ago and it was a pain to get it without a down payment. And I have an 802, 797 and 792 on my 3 credit scores! I had a down payment but I used it for a truck from an estate sale. I couldn't pass it up, over $10,000 below NADA and $8,000 below KBB! We put in $3,500 to $4,000 a month to the mortgage, so 17 more months and it's paid for!
          http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

We close escrow this week. We got lucky enough to buy from a seller willing to carry the note, otherwise we wouldn't have a chance at traditional financing due to my student loans even though I only pay 165 a mo on them.
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

I think prices will go down further within the next several months.Although who knows how much.I wouldnt personally buy right now unless I came across a really smokin deal,which unfortunately for a lot of people it looks like that could happen.
              I'm pretty lucky so far.The company I work for has 90% of its sales out of country,so aluminum casting equiptment has been on sale figuratively speaking.Since the US dollar has shrunk .Were booked into 2010.Thats not to say we couldm't get some cancellations.
              80 SG XS1100
              14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im View Post
                But if I didnt..I doubt I would only because I am un-employed.I would think that the market is good for buyers and not so good for sellers.At least at this particular time.My neighbor just sold their house a few months ago...they were asking $565,000 and actually sold for $510,000 which I feel is pretty good for both the seller and buyer.
                I forgot to mention that I inherited this house from my parents and that its paid off.I only have state property taxes to pay..which in this state come to $9k per yearWhats bad is that over half of these taxes are for the local school district...what a freakin' ripoff.NJ has some of the very highest property taxes in the nation...Bro' and I are looking to sell and relocate to NC...where your disposable income isnt disposed of before you get it
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

A great deal depends on what part of the country you are in. Here in western Colorado the economy is still growing and housing prices keep going up. We bought 2 years ago, so don't know what the current scoop is on "0 down" financing.

We have good credit scores, both work, but took advantage of a state-run program that gave us the downpayment at 3% interest. Program goes by its initials, CHFA. Stands for Colorado Housing Financial Assistance (I think) and is still giving loans, last I heard. There are a few stings, can't have owned another house in the last few years, verified income / assets, even contacted the management company from our rental to verify on-time payments. Both loans rolled into 1 payment, which is convenient.

So, if I were looking in western Colorado, I would go ahead and buy if I could arrange the financing. Financial help does not seem to be lacking. I have heard the rate of buying is not as steep as it has been in recent years, making it more of a buyer's market, but very few foreclosures in either Garfield County (where I work) or Mesa County (where I live.)
                  Jerry Fields
                  '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                  '06 Concours
                  My Galleries Page.
                  My Blog Page.
                  "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

This would be a great time to buy a house if you have the means. They stopped making land a long time ago, I hear. Even if it's devalued now it's only going to go up in the long term. Interest rates are also still really low.

Property values haven't dropped all that much in my area but the credit crunch has made buyers scarce. Many sellers are finding they they have to come down just to get people to even look at their houses.

I'm too cheap to want to move right now even though I'd love to. It's getting too crowded around here. Maybe If I can find a ridiculously good deal on a place somewhere deeper in the country I'd try it, but for now I'm content with my tiny little nearly paid off house.
                    80 XS1100SG
                    81 XS400SH

Some men miss opportunity because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

A Few Animations I've Made

Comment

I don't think I would buy a house here in Oregon. Even with the property values down, the prices are still insane. I've been thinking about relocating to a state that is more affordable and more business friendly.

Geezer
                      Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

house

BUY BUY BUY Your home dont think to long or you will talk yourself out of it. its the right time.

Tonio
                        tonio
                        81 xs eleven special

Comment

Buy a house in Utah?

Okay, thanks everyone for the replies so far.

Let's get more specific. Would you buy a house in Utah right now?
                          1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
                          1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
                          1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
                          1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
                          1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
                          1982 XS650
                          1980 XS1100g
                          1979 XS1100sf
                          1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Oh, buy a HOUSE

I thought it said HORSE. Wondered why everyone was going on about real estate prices.

Dan
                            Lunatic.
                            Automotive Imbecile.
                            Proud owner of 'The Swiftcicle'. (Swifty for short)
                            '78E Full Vetter Dresser.
                            1196 Big Bore Kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Shuriken View Post
                              Okay, thanks everyone for the replies so far.

Let's get more specific. Would you buy a house in Utah right now?
                              So are you selling one in Utah?The best place and best value in real estate on the east coast would be South Carolina...Myrtle beach to be exact...lots of ppl flocking down there...Personally I'm interested in North Carolina...BTW sounds like you need a new poll....
                              Last edited by madmax-im; 11-13-2008, 03:02 PM.
                              1980 XS650G Special-Two
                              1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Working...
                              X