Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7500 miles across America on a Honda Rebel 250

Hey Folks check this guy's story out. Pretty cool:

"I took a trip across country on a honda rebel. Try something like this some time in your life!!!"
    (His quote)

http://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18512
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

I can't imagine riding around the country on a lawn mower engine! Just kidding, my first bike was a Kawasaki LTD 305, it wasn't too bad to ride. It was like a rebel without a cause!
    http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

I would have guessed it would blow up long before it did,but not from a loose oil plug.I wish I had that much time.I would like to travel across the country on my bike. My keaster would never allow that trip,LOL.
      It would be funny to see someone do that on a china bike.
      80 SG XS1100
      14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I have a better challenge!

How about on one of these! I do have one in the garage........... it was free, ok!

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

Comment

Yeah, over 500 miles a day would be tough on the old keister. What amazed me is that he could line up all the nice people that hosted a complete stranger in their homes. Kind of restores a little of the faith in humanity. Doesn't it? I wish he wouldn't have made the oil plug mistake.
          1980G Standard, Restored
          Kerker 4 - 1
          850 Rear End Mod
          2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
          Automatic CCT
          1980GH Special, Restored
          Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
          '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
          Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

I'm sure if you posted the same scenario on here for free boarding during your travel, you would find a few kind people on here too. Maybe not strangers on the net, but in person.....

Famous Myspace quote:

Comment

Montreux

I have absolutely no doubt that the good folks of this board would open their homes to a fellow exsessive were he/she on such an adventure.
              1980G Standard, Restored
              Kerker 4 - 1
              850 Rear End Mod
              Automatic CCT
              1980GH Special, Restored
              '82 XJ1100 (Sold)

Comment

I can testify!

Without a doubt, the folks here at Channel 11 are among the kindest-hearted around. A couple summers ago, when I was in Cali on a hiking trip, I put it out there that I was hoping for a place to crash closer to the airport than the nearest national park. My buddy and I were just looking for a friendly driveway to crash out in the back of his truck. LoHo opened up his famlies home to us; -put us up in the den. Never met before, but even ordered extra Chinese food for us that evening. I'm still humbled at times by people's overwhelming generosity. I still hope to return the favor some day. (LoHo, you guys should still consider MI as a destination someday)
                -Do what makes you happy.

'79 Honda CB 750 K (2)
                '78 XS 11 E - "Rhona"
                ...and a 2nd E, for the goodies on it.

Comment

My 1st bike was an sr250, I got it after college and rode around the country for 18 months. Who knows how many miles...I wasn't keeping track. Kept going until I ran out of money and got tired of odd jobs. And camping, I was really missing actual beds there at the end.

Sold the bike not long after I got my 1st xs11. Regretted it ever since the next day
                  I've been in more than one Hemisphere, and I wrote a book to help you do it too (or just prepare better for that week long road trip). Going Small, not just for the little guys.

Comment

Me too

I rode a Honda 450 across country in '74. It was a three and a half week journey, plowed snow all day once in Utah/Colorado, got rained on for a week from Denver to Illinois. It was a real adventure. Sadly I don't have half as many pics as shown by Andrew. Did make it all the way on the Honda and rode it around there for nearly a year as well before engine failure.
                    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                    Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system
                    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I did a cross country when I was in the Army. Rode from California to North Carolina on a 650 XS1. Probably the best motorcycle trip I've ever been on. Sleeping on the bike in the desert southwest, then in a motel lobby in Pecos, Texas because of a leaking fuel tank. The list just goes on, as does the type of people I met, both good and not so nice.
                      Ray Matteis
                      KE6NHG
                      XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                      XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Boy, that was some trip.

I did a lot of small bore touring when I was younger. Hell, back then a 250 2-stroke was a lot lighter and a lot faster than my previous WD Harley "45". More comfortable too. I did quite a few 450 mile days.

In the '80s my wife and I took a trip up Highway 50 from San Fran up to Placerville where a friend had offered a cabin. We rode a CL 350 Honda with our gear plus a guitar on the luggage rack. Didn't handle too well like that but it cruised at 65 mph no sweat.

After a couple days in Placerville we got bored and headed up 50 over the summit to Tahoe, Carson City and eventually up to Silver City and Virginia City.

Bike was a bit down on power above 5,000 ft. altitude so I just downshifted one gear and continued at 65 mph.

We got tired long before the bike did...
                        Shiny side up,
                        650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                        XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

Working...
                        X