80 Special Paint color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80 Special Paint color

With the onset of winter... I think I might be painting Something Special... Giving her new clothes for the Spring riding season...

I really like the look of the 80 Special paint color (which is why Something Special is sporting that color instead of her original black with blue flake)... and I know I remember someone saying something about getting a pretty close color match but I can't seem to find it in my search (maybe it's just too early in the morning)

I've seen reference to a "Black Red" and a "New Ruby Red" for that year model... What's the difference? is the black red the black base with the red metallic flakes?
    81 SH Something Special
    81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
    81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
    80 LG Black Magic
    78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
    For those on FB

If you want it to look authentic you'll need to paint it, then leave it out in the sun for 20-25 years to achieve the nice two tone effect that I have on my tank.
    I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
    3J6 003509
    Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
    Fuse Block Upgrade
    Mike's XS Green Coils
    Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

Wildkat:

The Ruby Red is really red without any black base. I was going to order some of the Ruby Red from an online supplier but the price 125.00 per pint stopped me. My 80G has the Ruby Red on the fairing and the side covers and the tank was re-painted to match by the PO about 8-9 years ago and still looks good, but I wanted to touch up a spot on the fairing where I had dropped it. If you like I can snap a few pictures of the color and post them.

Comment

Hey Kat,

I know my 79 is Black and I can notice a slight red metallic in it. I think its still the factory paint. FWIW
        Ernie
        79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
        (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Originally posted by egleaves View Post
          If you want it to look authentic you'll need to paint it, then leave it out in the sun for 20-25 years to achieve the nice two tone effect that I have on my tank.
          lol

yeah... that's the same effect I have on mine right now... I'm trying to get back to stock color but not quite that way...

Originally posted by boyat68 View Post
          Wildkat:

The Ruby Red is really red without any black base. I was going to order some of the Ruby Red from an online supplier but the price 125.00 per pint stopped me. My 80G has the Ruby Red on the fairing and the side covers and the tank was re-painted to match by the PO about 8-9 years ago and still looks good, but I wanted to touch up a spot on the fairing where I had dropped it. If you like I can snap a few pictures of the color and post them.
          That's kind of what made me wonder... I've seen the really red bikes... and I've seen the macho maroon... but I don't think the 80s came stock with the macho maroon... Yet... the 80 pieces on my bike are maroon... or burgundy.. or SOMEthing along those lines... I know that some of the stock colors were black with red metallic flakes and the 81 originally had black with blue metallic flakes... so I'm kind of at a loss here... Pics would be GREAT (I'm very visual)

Originally posted by egsols View Post
          Hey Kat,

I know my 79 is Black and I can notice a slight red metallic in it. I think its still the factory paint. FWIW
          Sounds like it might be... I'm going to have to brush up on what year models came in what color, I guess...
          81 SH Something Special
          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

Hey Kat.

These folks carry an exact match for the New Ruby Red I bought three tubes of touch up paint from them: base coat, color coat, and clear coat. Looks like an exact match.
            Nubee

Comment

Originally posted by nubee View Post
              Hey Kat.

These folks carry an exact match for the New Ruby Red I bought three tubes of touch up paint from them: base coat, color coat, and clear coat. Looks like an exact match.
              Excellent! thanks a bunch!
              and I realize that it wasn't that long ago that I saw your bike... but it is the same color as mine... yes?
              81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
              80 LG Black Magic
              78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
              For those on FB

Comment

Wildkat, the original paint on my SG is the black with subtle red flakes when it catches the sun just right. I like it but it would be nice to have that red be a little bit more noticeable, without having to actually try to see it buried in all that nice black.
                80 SG
                81 SH in parts
                99 ST1100
                91 ST1100

Comment

Pics Kat,

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=cimg0110.jpg

http://s164.photobucket.com/albums/u...omepolish6.jpg
                  Nubee

Comment

Originally posted by laxdad View Post
                    Wildkat, the original paint on my SG is the black with subtle red flakes when it catches the sun just right. I like it but it would be nice to have that red be a little bit more noticeable, without having to actually try to see it buried in all that nice black.
                    I know what you mean... I hated to paint over the tank and sides from the 81 because I really like the blue flake... so when the Bag Lady showed up with the beautiful maroon (New Ruby Red? It is NOT ruby red Where do they come up with these names? lol) ... it saved me from painting over the other... When I painted the FJ... we found a paint that had really nice multi-colored flakes that have a similar effect as the stock paint on the Specials... John used it on Twilite and it looks REALLY good.. especially in the sun when it catches all of the color.... ohhhhhhhhhhh coloooor...

Great! That's exactly what I'm looking for.... Thanks a bunch, Craig... MUCH appreciated!

81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                    80 LG Black Magic
                    78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                    For those on FB

Comment

Wildkat:

That site that Nubee posted http://www.colorrite.com/product/yam...d-nrr-1960.cfm New Ruby Red, that is my color and it is really really red.

Comment

It's only taken 6 years to get to this point

John surprised me a year and half ago with the paint code for the New Ruby Red. One thing leading to another (one being the cost of any paint with red in it) it never happened.
                        Yesterday, he surprised me with everything needed to repaint my bike. She will be wearing new clothes this Spring!
                        I'll post pics when she's done.
                        81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                        80 LG Black Magic
                        78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                        For those on FB

Comment

Hey, Good to see you posting again Kat!!

Also, would you be so kind as to share that code with he masses? I has an SG in that color last year and wanted to match the color, it turned out a nice shade of maroon red, but would be nice to know the code if it comes up again.
                          Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                          80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                          93 GSX600F
                          80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                          81 XS1100 Special
                          81 CB750 C
                          80 CB750 C
                          78 XS750

Comment

'tis the season, you know lol

I was going to hold off on posting the code until I actually shot it, just to be sure. But after sampling a bit yesterday, it looks VERY close. (and I do mean VERY close)
                            I'll have to get the code back from John and will post as soon as I have the info.
                            I am SUPER stoked about it!
                            81 SH Something Special

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                            80 LG Black Magic
                            78 E Standard Practice

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                            For those on FB

Comment

OK, I can wait, since I sold that bike anyway. If might consider repainting my bike with that color. I do like a good deep dark red like that.

Hope yours turns out great!
                              Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                              80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                              93 GSX600F
                              80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                              81 XS1100 Special
                              81 CB750 C
                              80 CB750 C
                              78 XS750

Comment

Working...
                              X