Hard Core Astronomist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hard Core Astronomist

Here is a diversion from the normal motorcycle and political fare.

Anyone into astronomy as a hobby. Looking for an answer to a question without having to go through the trouble of registering and posting on a star forum.

This photo was taken 9-23-08 on the Alabama Gulf coast looking East at sunrise about 6:30 - 6:45 Central time. The camera is an Olympus E510 dslr with a 100mm Zoom. Setting -.3 below 4.5 No photoshop editing only a crop and size.

When I showed the print to my friend who is an amateur telescope junky he was convinced I caught the planted Saturn as it was setting while the Sun was Rising. He checked the star charts and on that date they were awfully close. Look at the upper left quadrant of the sun.
    There is a spot that is washed out that has the shape. The rings appear. Being that low on the horizon the atmosphere would magnify it a little. Any ideas or opinions.

How would that be even remotely possible?? Saturn is NEVER between the Sun and the Earth. There is no way, unless there is some kind of reflection happening, that you would see Saturn in front of the Sun.
    1980 XS850SG - Sold
    1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
    Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
    Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
    -H. Ford

Comment

It must be Uranus

Comment

Are there rings around Uranus?? :P
        1980 XS850SG - Sold
        1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
        Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
        Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
        -H. Ford

Comment

Kind of like

Those Jesus pics on everything from toast to trees...... LOL
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
          Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system
          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

I don't know if it is Saturn or not but it sure is a really good picture
            United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
            If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
            "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
            "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
            Acta Non Verba

Comment

Its obviously a UFO.
              80 XS11 Standard Australia

Comment

no no not the jesus photo. thats just a simple planet. now this, this is the jesus photo.

Comment

No No its Aliens I tells ya...watch out ,they be lookin for some anal probing
                  80 XS11 Standard Australia

Comment

Might want to check out somebody's rings....

Patrick
                    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                    1969 Yamaha DT1B
                    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

1. When the moon or any other object appears in front of the sun it shows up as a dark area.

2. Saturn's orbit does not cross between the sun and the earth.

What I suspect you captured was a massive solar flare or a more distant cloud magnified by the sun?

I would check to see if there were any solar flares reported for that date and time.
                      Last edited by mstic2000; 10-07-2008, 01:19 AM.
                      My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by kf4anm
                        no no not the jesus photo. thats just a simple planet. now this, this is the jesus photo.

OMG! That's not Jesus! That Timmy from southpark! LOL

Look at the feet! Dead giveaway!
                        My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

It's not Timmy, that's Kenny! He died and went to heaven
                          But really though, it looks like clouds.
                          1978 XS1100E Standard
                          Kerker Exhaust
                          Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
                          TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
                          Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

You guys are way off track. Thats not Jesus, its just Prom doing his levitating trick again.
                            When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Hm Ive heard of this before, I dont know what it is called but there is something about the sun rising over water sometimes it happens here when the sun sets in the west over lake michigan.. before the sun is up over the horizen it can reflect off the water and up into the sky (on clouds, moisture whatever) so you see a fake sun and then the real one comes up ( or goes down)>. Not sure if that is one of these but Ive heard of them before.
                              XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
                              Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X