Just my luck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just my luck

Finished up the 750 final drive mod, got the larger jets in the carbs, filled up the tank, checked the oil, it was time to kick the tires and light the fires for a great day of riding with my buds from work.

Then I noticed my license tag missing. I tend to use overkill on bolts, and the thing had ridden there for over 3k miles, so I doubt it fell off. I guess it could have though.

I am now in clinical depression. I am having morbid thoughts like driving the cage or playing the kids Sponge Bob video game, or even watching Days of our Lives with SWMBO. Its really bad...

Sherrifs deputy said I would be constantly pulled over if I rode without it, even though I filed a report.
    Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

That really sucks. How big of a deal is it to replace other than a trip to the dmv?
    Harry

The voices in my head are giving me the silent treatment.

'79 Standard
    '82 XJ1100
    '84 FJ1100

Acta Non Verba

Comment

Re: Just my luck

Originally posted by Ivan

Then I noticed my license tag missing. I tend to use overkill on bolts, and the thing had ridden there for over 3k miles, so I doubt it fell off. I guess it could have though.

I am now in clinical depression. I am having morbid thoughts like driving the cage or ...

...or some dirtbag on a ratty harley doing nasty things to sully your good reputation

Whats the proceedure/cost to get a new one? Here in UT you can get a temp paper tag.
      Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
      Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
      while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

Sheriff issues a report and gives out a paper that is a voucher for a new tag. I can go to the County Clerk during the week and get another.

Still doesn't do much for the Sunday ride.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

As long as I have the letter, I'd be out there.

They can waste thier time pulling me over, if they want.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Plate mounting

Hi Ivan,
            way back in 1986 I'd just gotten an XS650. After a month or so the local cop stopped me and asked where my licence plate was.
            Like, on the back?
            Look again, eh?
            Well, oh my, just the two nut'n'bolts and two little triangles of plate, each with a fatigue crack edge.
            Why don't you ride right back home and park until you get a replacement?
            That's when I invented my fatigue-proof plate mounting system.
            Two fastener stacks, each comprising an M6 bolt & Nylok nut, 2 plain washers and 3 flat rubber washers. Attachment sequence:- bolt, plain washer, rubber washer, bike plate, rubber washer, bike plate mount, rubber washer, plain washer, Nylok nut. Ain't lost a plate since.
            Fred Hill, S'toon
            XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
            "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The plate on my bike is from 1984.....

I use two bolts with nuts and lock washers.
              Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
              '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Sounds like someone needed that plate more than you.
                At least they didnt take the whole bike.
                This thread started a week ago.Did you ride last Sunday or wait and get a plate.
                80 SG XS1100
                14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Working...
                X