A cold ride this morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cold ride this morning

Well it was a cold ride to work this morning, 37F to be exact. Anyone have some tips for staying warm when the weather isn't? I've already got Chaps and coat, mostly its my hands that get cold despite leather gloves.

Somewhat related, I've got a windjammer that would help keep me warm but I can't mount it. Anyone got a vetter mounting bracket they want to be rid of?
    1979 xs1100 Special -
    Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
    Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
    My Bike:
    [link is broken]

Find something warmer than Leather.Alot of materials out there taht work better than leather gloves.It really depends on how far you are going..the longer the ride the more likely you are of getting cold.I've been out in 20* weather with a 30 mph wind and I was still relatively warm...but I had on two underlayers and then a one piece ski suit.I felt like the michelin man...LOL Mounting brackets for the Windjammer are hard to come by.I always see them forsale on e-bay..but most all of them are off bikes other than the Yammies.Good luck...
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

I have seen electric gloves. Both the kind that plug into an accessory outlet, and the batter-powered kind. Same for jackets and even helmets.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Yeah, I looked at heated gloves, jacket liner, pants ect but they are expensive. The whole reason I'm riding the bike in the cold is to save some money. Every day I ride the bike I save about 4 bucks over driving my truck. If I spend a hundred bucks on new heated gloves my savings just vanished.
        1979 xs1100 Special -
        Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
        My Bike:
        [link is broken]

Comment

Get yourself a gortex (or equiv) turtleneck sweater.

Under the leather coat a thin decent sweater makes a HUGE difference. Also the turtleneck will help you stave off throat infections. Red Throat is a common malady for those of us that ride in colder weather.

AS for the hands, as long as your body core is warm, it will keep blood flowing to the extremities, and your goleves will work better.

I do have a pair of Thinsulate ski gloves for around 32F or less, though, and I used to use a snowmobile helmet, instead of a motorcyle one.
          Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
          '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

So I guess you don't want to hear about my 63 degree ride in and the estimated 93 degree ride home? The windjammer will do wonders for keeping you warm(er). Throw a set of lowers on it and you will be downright toasty. During my tenure in Albuq., it was not uncommon to be greeted with a sub 20 ride in and a "high" of 40 going home. I had armed myself with a full dress XS, HEAVY leather jacket with a liner (some mornings required a liner windbreaker under the jacket), a set of ski bibs, (get the kind that zip all the way up the leg), and after alot of trial and error, a pair of snow mobile gloves. My local Yammie dealer also sold snowmobiles. I told him I needed very good gloves but I would not know if they were any good till I tried them out first, at 6am during the ride in. He sold me a set of gloves and said bring em back if they don't work and we will try something else. We did this three times till I found a pair of $45 snowmobile gloves that did the trick. They were a little bulky at first, but I made the 27 mile drive in and I could still feel my fingers.
            When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

I'm not big on turttlenecks, so I cut the top out of an old knit cap to make a nice neck warmer that is easily removable. It's part scarf and part hat; I call it my scat. I park about 6 blocks away from my office and wearing my scat in the winter makes a huge difference keeping my core warm. It works just as well when I ride in cold weather.

I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
              3J6 003509
              Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
              Fuse Block Upgrade
              Mike's XS Green Coils
              Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

Hippo hands

Does anybody have the old "Hippo hands" made by Vetter in the '70's? They fasten to your bars and cover the grips so you just slide your hands in. They are vinyl outside with a fleece-like lining on the inside. I've seen them on e-bay and they look kinda cool, but I've never actually used them.
                Chuckster

'78 XS1100E

Money can't buy happiness, but it can get you an XS11 and that's a start.

Comment

egleaves - great minds think alike, just two days ago I decided my neck was a bit cold and cut the top off an old hat I've had in a basket in the garage for a couple of years. I thought I was the first to think of it, oh well now I guess i'll have to call it a scat. It does work wonders.
                  1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                  [link is broken]

Comment

Oh yeah, another thing, wear it sorta like a head band and it also makes a good ear warmer.
                    I know this, because Tyler knows this.

1980 SG
                    3J6 003509
                    Kerker 4-1 (sans baffles)
                    Fuse Block Upgrade
                    Mike's XS Green Coils
                    Pods w/Homemade Velocity Stacks

Comment

I've got the vetter mounting bracket. Not 100% sure what I'm doing with it yet but will know by Sunday.
                      I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

If you decide your not going to use it let me know, I could come down and pick it up. Do you still have that junk tank too? Two for one trip makes it worth the drive I think.
                        1979 xs1100 Special -

My Bike:
                        [link is broken]

Comment

Come on its michigan, just get a full suit of black lined carharts and call it good hehe.. they make some plastic ones now that should resist the wind. Its red flannel time in cedar springs might be a deal there..
                          XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
                          Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

Seeing how I aquired another one today I can let one go. PM for details. I wanted to keep on so I could bend some up at a later date if needed.
                            I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

there are the Hotgrips, for the cold weather riders.
                              http://www.hotgrips.com/reviews.php

http://www.shopxr.com/showproduct.as...5204&aid=10050

Hit up google shopping with "Hotgrips" in the search. can be had for around $50
                              Dan

Good work gloves like CAT work good for me. 40 and windy in the morning lately.
                              Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
                              Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
                              while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

Working...
                              X