Bogus members

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Warning

If you know whats good for your computer DO NOT CLICK ON ANY LINKS OR ANYTHING THESE SPAMMERS ALLOW YOU TO OPEN...YOU'LL BE SORRY YOU DID.I Made the mistake of doing so and I got this Trojan security virus BS...I had to resset my computer to an earlier checkpoint.
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Security

Ben
      What are you runnung for security?
      I saw that one too but it looked like an invite to disaster.
      Doug
      Doug Mitchell
      82 XJ1100 sold
      2006 Suzuki C90 SE 1500 CC Cruiser sold
      2007 Stratoliner 1900 sold
      1999 Honda Valkyrie interstate
      47 years riding and still learning, does that make me a slow learner?

Comment

Hey Ben,

I'll bet it was Ultimate Antivirus 2009 wasn't it!?

I've had to clean a couple of fellow worker's computers that got infected with this bastard virus! They(Spammers) are getting fancier and smarter, using the little shield popup in the programs running tray area to mimmick the Windows Security Alert type warnings, or the upgrade warnings, etc.!! Some of these NOVICE users don't know that it's a bogus warning!

Lots of fun editting the registry, using the task manager to end processes.....however, they have several things running so that when you shut down 1 process, it restarts automatically, so that you can't delete the offending *.exe file that way. Have to start the computer in SAFE mode to access and delete them!!

One person even went so far as to PAY for the service using their credit/debt card, had to kill their card, etc.!!!
        T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

AVAST

I have found that AVAST is the best protection against all those things and it's free. It was recommended by a very reputable computer tech company here in SoCal. Supreme Solutions (.com)
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
          Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system
          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
            Lots of fun editting the registry, using the task manager to end processes.....however, they have several things running so that when you shut down 1 process, it restarts automatically, so that you can't delete the offending *.exe file that way. Have to start the computer in SAFE mode to access and delete them!!
            I've seen a few that cannot be deleted even in safe mode but they can be renamed to something that won't run after the next boot. After that it's a simple matter to delete them. I've seen a lot of this over the last few years. In my 10 years away from the bike biz, I was working in computer IT and MS support and I have about a half dozen clients that I just can't cut loose.

Geezer
            Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

This thread is quite interesting. As a pretty much computer
              " no nuthing " I had no idea all this stuff is going on all the
              time.
              Thanks to those who are keeping it clean for us.

Skip
              1979 XS1100SF
              2005 VTX1800S3 ( Dailey ride)

Comment

Why does it show as an active member on a board?
                Do not click on these links ?

Members: 4,152, Threads: 19,151, Posts: 178,579
                Welcome to our newest member, Rdbfypqb

Currently Active Users: 30
                There are currently 13 members and 17 guests on the boards. | Most users ever online was 383 on 06-28-2007 at 12:24 PM.
                Axel, John, Ken Talbot, latexeses, prometheus578, Rdbfypqb, Scootstado2, virgsr62, wa407mpp, yamman

Profile For Rdbfypqb Search for all posts by this user.

Date Registered: 10-05-2008
                Total Posts: 0 (0 posts per day)
                Last Post: Never

Contact Rdbfypqb: Click here to email Rdbfypqb
                Homepage:
                ICQ Number: 657308040
                AOL Instant Messenger Handle:
                Yahoo Instant Messenger Handle:
                Referrals 0
                Birthday September 16, 1984
                XS/XJ Model 1
                Real Name Hitilayov
                Biography
                Location Kepbehay
                Interests Pinicae, Miuyeyu
                Occupation Zelijame
                Current Rides: '82 XJ w/Jardine 4-1's, GIVI flyscreen, '97 Triumph Trophy 1200
                Former Rides: '71 CB350, '78 400 Hawk, '75 CB550/4;
                while in Japan: '86 KLR250, '86 VT250Z, '86 XL600R, '82 CB450(Hawk II), '96 750 Nighthawk, '96 BMW F650

Comment

harvesting addresses?
                  Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                  Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
                  and SOXS
                  2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Originally posted by barberad
                    Why does it show as an active member on a board?
                    Do not click on these links ?

Members: 4,152, Threads: 19,151, Posts: 178,579
                    Welcome to our newest member, Rdbfypqb

Currently Active Users: 30
                    There are currently 13 members and 17 guests on the boards. | Most users ever online was 383 on 06-28-2007 at 12:24 PM.
                    Axel, John, Ken Talbot, latexeses, prometheus578, Rdbfypqb, Scootstado2, virgsr62, wa407mpp, yamman
                    Barberad,

They are SPAM-BOTS, and like HamJam said, are searching the site for email addresses, that's why you don't want to post yours in an OPEN message, but send it to folks via PM if you want!
                    T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58
                      Hey Ben,

I'll bet it was Ultimate Antivirus 2009 wasn't it!?

I've had to clean a couple of fellow worker's computers that got infected with this bastard virus! They(Spammers) are getting fancier and smarter, using the little shield popup in the programs running tray area to mimmick the Windows Security Alert type warnings, or the upgrade warnings, etc.!! Some of these NOVICE users don't know that it's a bogus warning!

One person even went so far as to PAY for the service using their credit/debt card, had to kill their card, etc.!!!
                      T.C.
                      I knew it was bogus from the outset just by the way it popped up and was incessant ...I had to do a system restore to an earliuer checkpoint...actually the day before the infection and so I was lucky I didnt lose any data or what not...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Re: Security

Originally posted by mitch
                        Ben
                        What are you runnung for security?
                        I saw that one too but it looked like an invite to disaster.
                        Doug
                        Actually at the time I had let my Norton...Symantec security subscription lapse..DOH...
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Re: AVAST

Originally posted by planedick
                          I have found that AVAST is the best protection against all those things and it's free.
                          Yes, it does work very well.
                          2H7 (79)
                          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Avast is a good anti-virus program. Another one equally as good - and the one that I use - is AVG Anti-Virus. And, as with Avast, it too is FREE

I have been using it for about 10 years and have NEVER had any one of my computers infected with a virus. I have also used Norton and McAfee and, IMHO, neither of these stack up to AVG.
                            1980 XS11 LG (Diablo)
                            1980 XS11 G (Bagger)
                            1978 XS11 G (White Knight)
                            1978 XS11 G (Skeleton)
                            2016 SS (S.S. Flyer)

Comment

Hey BNE nice 'hearing' from you
                              both Anne and myself had Norton 360 on out 'puters Norton kept screwing up on her laptop and I installed AVG on hers it is much happier now . Mine still has norton I have a couple of months left on the subscription ., although my 'puter is starting to act funny ,the cpu will be running between 4 and 8% then leap up to 80% and then back to the 4 % I think it's the norton and maybe by tomorrow it will have AVG as well.

Jim
                              Seamus Ó hUrmholtaigh
                              Niimi Moozhwaagan

NOTICE: No trees were destroyed in the sending of this message. We do concede, however, that a significant number of electrons may have been inconvenienced.

Any connection between your reality and mine is purely coincidental.

Member of "FOXS-11" (Former Owner of XS-11)
                              and SOXS
                              2008 Nomad "Deja Buick'

Comment

Hi all I'm new to this forum stuff but here goes.
                                I was having problems with windows all the time with hacks and such.Went to linux and no more problems. In windows I found norton really ate up resources also. Avg was free back then and seemed to be better.

Comment

Working...
                                X