Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My turn

It is said that it's not if but when.

When was Sunday on Rt 30 near Big Bear Lake, CA. Traveling between cages on a twisty mountain road. For some reason I was in the middle of the lane as I usually ride in the right track. Looking ahead and not down I was surprised when the front wheel suddenly went out to the right in a left sweeper. Automatic reaction got under it and straightened up, but now too close to the dirt and too late to change that. Went straight into a rock cliff and did a face and right shoulder plant into said rock at about 30 - 40 mph. Needless to say I did the ambulance ride to the hospital and the Pathfinder is in sad shape with bent fork tubes, rt side muffler with a big dent, rt side bag demolished and destroyed fairing. Lucky I wasn't on the freeway doing my usual 80 - 100 mph although when I saw that rock cliff coming, I was sure it was all over. I got scratches on my face, some missing skin on my rt arm even though I was wearing a leather jacket and a couple of broken ribs. I still consider myself a real lucky guy for that.

Looking at the accident scene I could see rocks in the middle of the lane, but the area where cage wheels run was clean and it was new pavement. Looked like someone had did a burn out from the side somewhere and the traffic had cleared it up where cage wheels ran but the center was littered with rocks.

I am wondering if maybe I'm too old for motorcycles as I don't heal as fast as I used to. I do love to ride so I'm gonna wait until I am healed to make any decisions in that area.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Man I can almost feel your pain! Glad you're still with us, no doubt because of your riding abilities and skill!

"Broken bones heal and chicks dig scars", at least that's what my teenage son keeps telling me.

Sorry to hear about you and your bike.

Get well soon!

Paul
    Paul
    1983 XJ1100 Maxim
    1979 XS1100 Standard
    1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

So sorry to hear of your ordeal! That had to be both scary and really painful! Too bad you can't just put a bandage on the bike and have it heal itself too

I hope you get back to 100% real soon.
      1980 XS850SG - Sold
      1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
      Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
      Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
      -H. Ford

Comment

Glad you're still alive and well When it's time to put the open road out of your life you will know. You'll probably wake up one morning and be very sure of it. Even though you don't heal as fast as you used to atleast you still heal
        1978 XS1100E Standard
        Kerker Exhaust
        Tkat Fork Brace

On Hold
        TopCat S.O.F.A. + Fuse Block
        Mike's XS Pod FIlters

Comment

Like riding a bike

Hi Dick,,,,glad you survived and hopefully back in the saddle soon enough. I remember being behind you at the Yosemite rally watching you and TKAt ride and seeing how smooth you rode your xs. I was amazed at the clean lines and swiftness in your travel. You and Tkat are amazing riders, you with the xs and Tkat with that huge Goldwing and wife on the back. Anyway,,,heal well and maybe think of going slower than your usual 100+ mph on the freeway next time around. Regards, Mike in S.Diego
          mike
          1982 xj1100 maxim
          1981 venture bagger
          1999 Kawi Nomad 1500 greenie
          1959 wife

Comment

Glad you survived that, brother. Sounded ugly.
            My dad asked me once back in 83', when I was ridin' a 920 Virago, why guys on bikes always rode out near the yellow line.
            You just lived through my answer.
            Hope you heal up quick. Hope you can get your bike well too. Also hope you come to a decision about riding that makes you feel right.

We are praying for your quick recovery.

Rodger
            RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

I've been riding a lot of rocky canyons myself; too close to home there for comfort, Dick, way too close!

I'm glad you're mostly alright - heal up soon and don't sweat the bike!

Regards,

Scott
              -- Scott
              _____
              ♬
              2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
              1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
              1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
              1979 XS1100F: parts
              2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.
              ♬

Comment

OUCH

Hey Dick glad your still in one piece. heal fast , i was just riding in the canyons here and tehre was all kids of crap on the road in places especialy where the cars pull back on after taking pictures and toss gravel everyplace once again glad your still with us.
                John
                79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
                80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
                06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
                2000 Concours
                84 Kawi KLR600
                79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
                79 XR250
                Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
                John

Comment

Time for another wheel?

Hi Planedick,
                  planning for the next curve instead of looking where you are going, eh? That'll larn ya! Good to hear you are not too badly hurt and that the bike is fixable.
                  Think about sidecars, they don't fall over.
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

It's the cages

Was really paying attention to the cages as they scare the hell outa me in the twisties. Mostly they don't stay on their side of the road. Was new pavement and rocks hadn't been a problem 'till then.
                    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                    Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system
                    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Glad to here your able to talk about it Dick.
                      I became a little ole lady rider awhile back after learning the limits of the XS the hard way. Getting old sucks too. Some times you heal just fine on the outside but....some of it just never goes away

mro

Comment

That's not a good early birthday present. In 2005 I busted
                        myslf up pretty bad just nineteen days before my b'day. And
                        those busted ribs can be a real bear.
                        Heal soon.

Skip
                        1979 XS1100SF
                        2005 VTX1800S3 ( Dailey ride)

Comment

Heal quickly, Dick!!
                          I can let you have the fairing off the bike I bought from you once I get the '78 fairing repainted. The mount goes with it, of course. The forks can be fixed with a new set from Forks by Frank, so you should be ready to ride again in about six weeks, when you can take a deep breath once again.
                          All the best, and send me a PM if I can help in any way!
                          Ray Matteis
                          KE6NHG
                          XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
                          XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Get well fast, Dick. I hope to ride with you again someday.
                            1980 XS 11 Special: The King of Kong, 9th wonder of the world. Pacifico fairing, chopped shield, Yamaha hard bags, Diamond seat, T-Kat fork brace, XJ top end, YICS Eliminator, '80 carbs from Spyder Cycle Works, K&N Air filter, Fuse block, stainless steel valves & reg/rect from Oregon MC Parts. Raptor CCT, XJ air shocks, 850 FD, Sportster mufflers, Standard handle bar, Tusk Bar Risers, SS braided brake lines. Cat Eye speedometer. HID projector beam headlight, LED running lights.

Comment

planedick,
                              I hear ya on the rock wall thing! Very glad you came through the experience without major injury!
                              Dave
                              1978 XS1100E
                              Tacoma, WA.

Comment

Working...
                              X