Creative Driving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creative Driving

70 degrees blue skies no wind what couold possibly go wrong LOL.SWMBO took the day off so we headed out to the canyon to see how the trees were turning ride was great all was good untill we took off after lunch i was shifting into 3rd when snap there went the clutch cable, no we are 125 miles from the house in the middle of no where so i figured out the most direct route home with the least amount of traffic lights.
    the otehr half said how we gonna do this lol i said watch we did good judging the lights until and old man stopped about 500 yrds from the light luckily we were on a steep downward hill, i got hr into neutral and we rolled then popped her into 1st and off we went i got a few strange looks as i was peddling this 700lb bike then taking off. with a few Califorinia stops at stop signs we got all the way back to the house un scaved the wife had a whole new appreceation of my riding skills. but i did get some great pictures in the canyon which i will post just goes to show no matter how good your maintanence is Murphy can strike anytime lol just thought i would share.

John
    79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
    80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
    06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
    2000 Concours
    84 Kawi KLR600
    79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
    79 XR250
    Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
    John

You can stop for lights, and what have you, you just have to use the starter in first and shift w/o the clutch.

The fun one was when a buddy of mine lost the shift linkage off of his Shadow 1100. He was in 5th, and we managed to drive it back to his place, through town... in 5th.
    Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
    '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Good Job Paintman!

Paul
      Paul
      1983 XJ1100 Maxim
      1979 XS1100 Standard
      1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Murphy likes to jump in at the worst times!!!

Kinda off topic but, I use a cable luber I got from the Yamaha dealer many years ago and I use it every couple of months. Still on the same clutch and throttle cable that came with the bike!!!

But, I still keep a spare clutch cable zip tied along the one in use. IF the one I am using breaks, I can replace it quickly without having to pull the tank. Just make sure you have 'nuff tools to do the job. This practice became a habit when I had my Norton. It would eat a clutch cable 'bout once a month.

And talk about riding with no clutch cable. I picked up a brand new 2-1/2 ton truck in El Paso to drive back to Albuquerque. Less than 10 miles from the dealership, the clutch linkage came apart. I had to drive it back to the dealer, in rush hour traffic with no clutch!!! That 3406 Cat didn't seem to mind chugging along in 4th all the way back.
        When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Working...
        X