• A legend is born

Check this thread out

What NOT to do
    XS1100SF
    XS1100F

A real pair of boobs!

(And I don't mean that in a nice way)
    I mean... how dumb can one be?
    And all those "test" holes in the sub fender...
    What'd the guy do?
    "Hmmm... I must have hit the frame... I'll drill over here. Hmm, frame again, maybe I try over here. Ahh, that's it... drill went through nicely!"
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Looks like that guy learned a lesson about screwing up and asking for help. Those posts are vicious.
      Does that speak of the maturity of their posters? Makes me feel mighty glad I own a XS1100. I'm not up and running yet and the day may come where I get screwed up. However I feel pretty comfortable that if the day comes and I really step in it, I can expect some help without 40,000 posts telling me I'm an a$$ hole.
      You really got feel sorry for the guy. For whole bunch of reasons.
      Here is hopin that I don't drill any.............
      RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

It ranks right up there with those of us that have bent valves adjusting the tensioner....

Or should I mention that? :^)
        Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
        '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

It ranks right up there with those of us that have bent valves adjusting the tensioner....
          Or the guy... with his head(the bike's, not his)on his work bench, using a wrench to rotate the cams around, and sending the intake valves on a collision course with the open exhaust valves.

Oh Latexeses... that's all part of the fun.
          Like WildKat says: "You might as well laugh at yourself... everybody else is."
          If you work on stuff long enough, you're bound to do something stupid.
          Ask me sometime why I have JBWeld holdin' part of my cylinders together.
          "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Don't doubt for a second that if I drill into the recifier to anchor some sadlebags that I'm not expecting some gas.....
            Thats the stuff that girds up your resolve to be more careful..
            like bustin your knuckles...

It only hurts when you find out no one is looking.

You are right, that is funny.. Don't think I would laugh in the guys face though... Just might be me someday. I am the butt of my own jokes most of the time.. Wouldn't want to be laughing at myself as hard as that guy is going to have to laugh....

JB Weld is like liquid duct tape. I buy it in tubes about the size of toothpaste tubes... Keeps you goin.
            RIP Whiskers (Shop Boss) 25+yrs

"It doesn't hurt until you find out no one is looking"

Everything on hold...

Comment

If you work on stuff long enough, you're bound to do something stupid.
              Well, its been my experience that I generally did more bone headed stuff when I was bending my first sets of wrenches. That part about long enough... well that just increases the "quality" of the bone head mistakes, because you have already learned not to make little ones. All my stupid mistakes are now in the "catastrophic holocaust" category. At least I don't strip out spark plug holes anymore.
              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

I dunno.
                This guy trancends mere stupidity. I can't equate an honest mistake with the almost willful ignorance displayed in this incident.

Everyone, myself included, does dumb things. But, I don't think I anyone here has admitted doing anything which would turn their name into an internet verb.

"Dude, you really Lumianed that thing!"
                XS1100SF
                XS1100F

Comment

Egon, this reminds me of the time you tried to drill a hole through your head. Remember that?

That would have worked if you hadn't stopped me.
                  Randy

"I didn't break it! IT FAILED!"

'82 XJ1100 "yamama"
                  '09 Buell Ulysses
                  '01 HD softail std - crunched

Comment

Hey that reminds me,

If it ain't broke, you're not trying hard enough!

Paul
                    1983 XJ1100 Maxim
                    1979 XS1100 Standard
                    1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Jeese,, I only made it thru the first page of that.. ridiculous. Did I read that right?? The liscense plate wasnt in a cool enough place? So start drilling? I feel bad for the guy but that is just plain stupid. And I thought marine mechanics were bad about drilling holes in stuff and hacking it up. No kidding, people pay quarter mil for a boat and then let the kid at the marina start boring holes to mount electronics or whatever hhaha.. its sad really..
                      XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
                      Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

I went to a friends one weekend and he was out front running a drill in the trunk of his car. When I asked what he was doing, he said the rubber seal on the trunk had hardened and cracked to the point that when it rained the trunk filled with water. I asked him if had said thank you God for not blowing his dumbass off the face of the earth and he was confused....
                        Only when I asked him where his gas tank was did he catch on but he insisted that he hadn't drilled in to it. He was plenty sheepish a couple months later when i had to go tow him and we found his car wouldn't run becuse of all the water in the gas.....
                        "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                        1981 LH

Comment

I love random Ghostbusters quotes...

Yes, your honor, its true. This man has no dick.
                          Corey J. Bennett
                          '79 XS1100SF

Comment

First off look what forum it's on. I mean come on if they had any brains they would be riding Yamaha's. Secondly ZX riders usually cleanse themselves from the gene pool one way or another. Thirdly it's a 650 zip splat who really gives a ****? I'm sure Kaw will pump thousands more out this week.
                            I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

Measure twice, drill once??? I am sure thats gonna cost a few bucks.

Off topic but ranks up there. Working for a Sea Ray dealer, young guy buys a new 18 footer and picks it up on Saturday. Comes back on Monday and wants us to fix the four screw holes in the side of his boat when he tried to mount a cup holder, 1-1/2 stainless screws thru a section of the hull only a 1/2 in thick.

I still remember my major dum-a_ s move. While mounting a tranny cooler in Plymouth, I was greated by a drip of green stuff, hence, measure twice, drill once.

Lets not forget the customer of the same Sea Ray dealer that decided his trailer bunks were loose and a few deck screws would cure the problem. Could not figure out why he could not get his boat off the trailer, 3" deck screws thru 1-3/4 bunks would be his first clue, but he was a little clueless. He had the balls to ask if it would be a warranty fix.
                              When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Working...
                              X