Saw a guy almost wreck today.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw a guy almost wreck today.

Was just thinking bout this and its something to think about..

Good friend of mine drives dumptrucks, once someone tried to pass him on the right when he was turning right.. they barely clipped his front end but made it (as he was in all the brakes he had, after seeing em fly around em as he's turning). well they lucked out that day and didnt get crushed into a ball..

Today I took a ride to my folks place to test out a different seat I have now, about 30 miles round trip.. on the way home there was several gravel trains heading down this long straight country road. Open country with cornfields or soybeans ect.. After a busy intersection started a long stretch. Well there was a green pickup in front of me that passed one gravel train right away, and I also passed it.. then that pickup tailgated that next truck constantly. Oncoming traffic or no passing zone kept him from going around. Even seemed like he became complacent at some point and was just lagging.. Well, needless to say I was about 150 yards behind all this, I'm not stupid.. gravel comes outta those things, off the fenders, out a leaky gate whatever.. plus I like a lot of cushion, if someones messing up I give em a lot of room..

Well same old story.. I had the feeling the truck was gonna pull over at the upcoming gravel pit, turns out it was turning right at the road just before it.. well the big truck started slowing down.. the green pickup tried to go right and around I think, or he just didnt see that the big one was stopping and to me it looked that way from so far back.. well it was all that pickup could do to not go off the road completely he was on off on off a few times and I swear he hit the back of that rig but didnt . but darn close.

Moral of the story, Always leave room in front of ya. By the time I got to the the "scene" it was just that. No rolling gravel (although the shoulder was tore up bigtime). I just cruised by, looked to my right and saw that gravel train cruising up that road, and the guy in the green pickup ahead of me. The pickup guy did a weird look to his right at that truck.. I imagine he must have seen me at some point back there with my headlight and knew that I watched the whole thing.. I think I recognize that truck cause he's local to my town.

Never a good idea to mess with a truck. (by the way for those that dont know gravel trains are semi's with 2 trailers behind em, michigan specials we used to call em. or those ones with ten million axles hehe.)

I will say that I personaly never saw a brakelight on that big truck so mabye it was truly an accidental thing and that rear trailer wasnt hooked up or whatever.. I cant say.. but still makes you think..
    XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
    Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!
Working...
X