Almost a miss

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost a miss

On the 55 Freeway Southbound near Katella in Orange, CA, a custom rack came off of a pick up, bounced once and landed in the lane with me. I was able to swerve some, but not quite enough. Just about the time it came to rest it contacted the right side bag frame. I have the hard bags with the two bar chrome thing around them. It bent the leading bars back a little and blew the cover off, ripping the hinge and lock system out. Lucky me, The Wiz has already told me he has a set of covers for me that are better than mine and heve a better rubber trim thing.

Man, things can come at you real fast, of course the way I ride, real fast is an understatement. LOL
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

I was once behind a pick-up towin' a trailer... till the trailer broke loose.
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

I was on the freeway doing 75 a few years back. Some guy in a big truck was towing a huge 5th wheel camp trailer. All of the sudden the entire left rear wheel comes off and starts rolling across traffic in front of me at 75..... I had to slow while it crossed my lane and hit the center barrier.... I was sure it was going to bounce back into my lane... I was on the throttle hard at that point and luckily it never did........
      1985 Yamaha VMX12n "Max X" - Stock
      1982 Honda XL500r "Big Red" - Stump Puller. Unknown mileage.
      1974-78 Honda XL350 hybrid - The thumper that revs. Unknown miles.
      1974 Suzuki TC/TS125 hybrid. Trials with trail gear. Invaluable. Unknown miles.
      1971 Honda CL350. For Dad. Newtronic Electronic Ign. Reliable. Unknown miles.

Formerly:
      1982 XS650
      1980 XS1100g
      1979 XS1100sf
      1978 XS1100e donor

Comment

Yikes, glad your ok. Good to hear there was not need for a change of pants.

Not the same as stuff fallin off trucks but once I was in a traffic jam on the highway in the winter. As I got up to where they were lettin us by the wreck then things became clear.. Ive never seen something quite like this again, but one of those giant rolls of steel sheet.. ya know the ones that are 4-6 feet wide or whatever.. well a semi overturned and one of those coils came undone and "sprung" itself across the highway.. looked like a roll of film that popped out of the canister only on giant scale. Till this day it gives me the creeps thinking of what may have happend had someone drivin into that. Wide glide slinky anyone?

Glad your ok
        XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
        Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

Good thing you were going fairly quick likely helped to lessen the push. Sometimes fast is better. Glad you are ok that could have hurt.
          http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Glad you came out okay even if the saddlebags took a hit!

I swear, between you, Ivan, loco drivers and too many turkeys....

Regards,

Scott
            -- Scott
            _____

2004 ST1300A: No name... yet
            1982 XJ1100J: "Baby" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1980 XS1100G: "Columbo" SS Brakes, '850 FD, ACCT
            1979 XS1100SF: "Bush" W.I.P.
            1979 XS1100F: parts
            2018 Heritage Softail Classic 117 FLHCS SE: "Nanuk" It's DEAD, it's not just resting. It is an EX cycle.

Comment

Working...
            X