My terrifing ride home from work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Middle gear repair

When my middle drive locked up it would roll backward, but not forward, have you tried that? If it's the middle gear bearings and the shaves are not toast you can find them "the bearings", at most good parts suppliers, if you can still read the numbers. You set them up just like you would a car differential, Just watch your pre-load and tooth engagement. If you are not experienced in this kind of work go ahead and replace it if you can, it is a lot easier. My book says you have to pull the engine, but you don't, with a little rearranging you can slip it out pretty easily.
    Fastmover
    "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
    lion". SHL
    78 XS1100e

Comment

Sounds like you may have needed to get some clean underwear also! Glad to hear you pulled it out and didn't get hurt more than anything.
      I worry more about someone hitting me than I do about having to lay it down. At least you had drivers around who were paying attention and didn't make a bad day even worse.
      Glad to hear you are OK and that you will be back on two wheels soon
      1979XS100SF
      2007 Dyna wide glide
      Too many dodge trucks to list!

Comment

Every time a read a post about a bike locking up it makes me pucker a little.That has to be one of the scariest things to have happen at high speed in traffic.I think I'll check mine out real good this winter.
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Hmm, tarzan. If you can't remember the last time you checked it, it might be worthwhile taking 5 minutes tomorrow to check it. I did mine a month ago so I know I'm good...
          Ken Talbot

Comment

something less though of but also possible, a broken shift fork, happened to me, thankfully, I wasn't going fast at the time. were you shifting gears at the time of the lock up? if not, probably not a shift fork, but thought I would throw the possibility out there. glad you were not injured my brother, have a nice day and ride safe
            I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Actually Ken I changed both middle and final drive oil this summer.I meant I want to check the mechanics of them.
              80 SG XS1100
              14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

locked up

Dave I read your post in the rally section then came here to see what happened. Good to hear you are safe and alive after that. Now looks like it could be a number of things that might have happened and you have a good plan to NARROW IT DOWN TO THE RIGHT PROBLEM. I'm not shouting, just want it clear. It wasn't my bike, but my S10 pickup driving down West Beach road it locked up on me. I had been having screaching sounds on an off again and was way past a need for oil change. I pushed in the clutch and she coasted, let it out and again locked up. Was able to coast right up into my driveway. I swore it was a seized motor due to lack of oil. Purchased a $350.00 motor from junk yard, pulled the tranny and loosened the truck Cab to get the motor out. pulled the fan to get ready for the motor to come out and noticed something interesting. The ALTERNATOR bearings were seized up. I still got that "boat anchor" motor from the junk yard sitting on a stand out back. Read "Egg on my face". Anyway take all the advice and do it right, eh? Good luck
                Dan
                80XS1100G (Ebaybe) Whidbey Island, WA
                Lightning of 4 is better than thunder of 2.
                I always wanted a Harley. Not anymore! XS11 rules!

Comment

You know the pisser of all this, this weekend is going to be great riding weather!
                  And thanks all for the advice.
                  Dave
                  1978 XS1100E
                  Tacoma, WA.

Comment

Working...
                  X