"Contest... it's contest time!"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motion Pro tool

Just a note for those that may have trouble with the valve shim tool.
    I've read where some have problems with the tool and some do not.
    When I got mine it would not hold down the valve bucket.
    Upon inspection and reading a few posts about the tool I modified it some.

In this pic, if compared to a new tool you might be able to see that I ground a little off the mounting surface so it would sit a little lower on the head. I also made the slots longer towards the inside on both mounting slots.

On the convex side of the tool I ground off a little so it would better engage the valve bucket rim.

The tool now works just fine

mro

Comment

• Yeah, I dug up these old threads concerning the mod yesterday.

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...pro+valve+tool

Last edited by prometheus578; 09-26-2008, 09:21 AM.
      "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

• Interesting ...

I have used the Yam version of this tool, PN ... somethin'or other-01245, and it worked perfectly once I read the destructions. Imagine that !!

Initially, I tried to depress the bucket by tightening the tool to the head but the tool wouldn't take a bite on the bucket to depress it. It seemed like it wouldn't work at all. Then I saw some instructions in the Clymer, I believe, that said to roll the cam lobe to open the valve all the way and THEN bolt the tool to the head. When the cam love is rotated back 180 degrees to the 'valve closed' position, the tool held or jammed the bucket in place so the shim came out easily with a little magnet. Was a snap and much easier than removin the cams for sure.
        80G Mini-bagger
        VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
        79SF eventually dismantled for parts
        79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
        79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
        79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

• I'm still pissed that the good flip-lever Yamaha valve shim tool I had was stolen 20 years ago. They don't make them anymore and whenever a used one comes up on fleabay it goes for over a hundred bucks...

Geezer
          Hi my name is Tony and I'm a bikeoholic.

The old gray biker ain't what he used to be.

Comment

• hey tony ..

I think it is still available .... I priced it in a couple of places earlier in the summer ... IIRC, it ranged from 56 (Zanotti) to 75 bucks depending on the dealer and how much they thought they could rip ya'

I didn't buy one then but with as many XSs as I have I'm probably gonna' ... I may get a MP one for 14 bucks and and try it first though.
            80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
            79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

• $14.99

Will this fit an XS?

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/I...D:100000146537

mro

Comment

• "Will this fit an XS?... "

Don't see how since the valve spring is in a pocket in the head, MrO. Don't see how that tool would get any purchase on the bucket without pressin' down on the shim. Some guys reportedly use the Kawa tool that kinda' looks like a 'W' found: here
                80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

• Simular tool used on Nissan engines.
                  Hooks under cam, then rotate on edge of shim bucket.

mro

Comment

• Yeah, I use the "W" a lot.
                    Not perfect, often slips sideways when rotating the cam, etc.
                    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

Working...
                    X