Tank Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tank Help

I don't know when the last time was that I was this bummed out. Purchased a NOS tank for my SH from a ebay seller who had advertised it as for a 80 1100. Mine had been creamed by the PO and the coating is turning a dark color and has flaked off in one spot. Not wanting to have to clean that stuff out of the carbs I went looking for a new tank and thought I had found one. Price was OK and it arrived. Its a beautiful dark maroon color and the inside looks like the day it was built. Problem is that it is definitely not for a 1100. It dose not have the cutout to mount the level sensor and the shape isn't right when you compare it to the tank thats on the bike now which I know is OE. It doesn't have the indentations for clearance of the aft valve cover either. I looked at the Yamaha web site and it may be for a XS 650 but I can't be sure. I was hoping one of you could help identify it for me. I have sent email to the ebay seller asking him if he would accept a return and refund my $. Hope he dose the right thing. Here are some pictures. Any ideas would be great.

wingnut
    81 SH (Daily Ride)
    81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
    81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
    82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
    81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Hi Wingnut,

I don't think it is a 650....... Looks a lot like the XS750SE tank I have in the shop, only a LOT less beat-up......

I vote for XS750/850 Special; I don't know if they are different to one another.

No part number on it?..... that would settle it for sure.

AlanB
    If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Alan, I've looked all over it and can't see a part number. If your 750 tank has a number stamped in it can you tell me where to look? Think I'kk post the pictures on the triples site and see if they recognize it.

Dave
      wingnut
      81 SH (Daily Ride)
      81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

You know I was thinking the same thing? Don't look like a 650 tank but sure looks close to the 750 but I really didn't wanna stick my neck out and steer someone wrong.
        My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

750 web site

Dose any one know the URL for the Triples folks?
          wingnut
          81 SH (Daily Ride)
          81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It's a 750 I have one of each hanging on the wall. I'm guessing that one won't fit the bike at all it's to narrow in the tunnel. They look almost the same but the take tunnel is wider under the 1100.
            I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

Yes I am pretty sure its for a 750. Went to the triples web site and looked at some pictures. It is close but not close enought. Well I hope the seller takes it back as it was listed for a 1100 so .........
              wingnut
              81 SH (Daily Ride)
              81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

It is definitly from the 750-850 Special. If you will notice, there are no indentations in the bottom/sides of the tank, whereas the 1100 has them to clear the valve cover. The pockets in the tunnel, where it slides over the tank rubbes on the frame are in a different location, and there is no fuel light sender. I had an 850 tank that I wanted to swap out, that's when I found the differences.

Comment

Thanks All. And the good news is the seller has agreed to take it back.
                  wingnut
                  81 SH (Daily Ride)
                  81 XS 400

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                  X