Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fellow XSrs, I could a hand, or a brain ...:)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fellow XSrs, I could a hand, or a brain ...:)

The fight with the insurance company is in full swing as I trade daily emails with their attack dog, Pat. They have offered me roughly 1K for my bike and a salvage title transferred back to me.

I have refused of course .... but it looks as if it will come down to 'comps' ... market value of comparable bikes. My SF has a very low mileage motor and frame with the tour package from a Std like in the photo ... a Yamaha ad.

Every high value comp could be VERY helpful toward getting a fair settlement out of them ..... so ...... I'd like to ask anyone who has an XS11 bagger or any very nice SF for sale for $2500 or more OR who knows of one anywhere For Sale and could post a link to do so. Anything in your local Cycle Trader of Craigslist or otherwise would be very helpful.

Insurance companies are evil to the core ... demonstrate your disdain by helpin' me beat 'em if you can. Thx.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    80G Mini-bagger
    VM33 Smooth bores, Pods, 4/1 Supertrapp, SS brake lines, fork brace

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
    79SF eventually dismantled for parts
    79F Bought almost new in 80, sold for a house
    79F The Ernie bike sold to a Navy dude summer 08
    79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Your kinda between a rock and hard spot here. Here is my .02 gleaned from being married to someone who worked for Farmers for 13 years. #1. "Comps" are regional or collected from within a limited area decided upon by the insurance carrier. Often times, the comps are way to low and collected by using incorrect or incomplete info on the rig in question. Make sure the know what a "factory tour pak " is.
    #2. The number of the comps they get can be very small within a region depending on the rig involved. They are gonna find lotsa comps for a R6, but very few for a XS11. This will scew the numbers.
    #3. You CAN request they get comps from a larger cross section of regions because the XS does not have a plentiful "base" to draw from in you specified region.
    #4. See if you can get a local shop to give you value of you bike in "preaccident" condition.
    #5. Request an independant apprasial of you bike. I had to do this when they wanted to total my then 25 year old truck that was in excellent condition over a $1200 repair. I won.
    #6. It may come to the point, you have to take there money and run and cut you losses. I know it sucks, but thats the suckie part of dealing with insurance companies.
    #7. While my 80g, full bagger, with 65k on the clock, in very good to excellent condition, is not for sale, I would be more than happy to put in in craigs list for ya. If everyone else here did it, you have a sh__tload of "comps" to show them.
    When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Basically, the only comps you are interested in are ones in EXACTLY the same shape, and trim.

This means that they will have to find one in the same shape, close miles, and with the same options, in order to even call it a fair comparison.

How far they have to go, is not your concern.

A buddy of mine had a twit pull out of a sidestreet, right in front of his '85 Shadow 1100. The insurance company offered him $1200. He refused, he told them he wanted them to find a replacement, in reasonably close shape.

His was an '85, in mint shape with 27,000 kms on it, ~2001.

They tried to pawn off a few lesser ones, so he searched himself, and found one that was close to the same as his, in Calgary, for $3200. They bought it for him.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

I wouldn't sell my 81SH for less than $2500, and it isn't in that great of condition. There is an 80 standard with a tour pack in the wichita craigs list, says it hasn't been started in several years and will need rings, has some rust and he wants 800. Around here, if it runs and doesn't have holes in the seat, its worth a grand. Even used scooters are bringing $1500.
        Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Here's a few I found around the country. Not necassarilly SF's, but tell them there wasn't a whole lot of difference between 78-81. A couple are midnight specials... but I doubt they will know that they go for more. Just tell them it's the same bike but they painted stuff black on them.

http://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/mcy/833408558.html

http://newyork.craigslist.org/wch/mcy/825240910.html

http://shreveport.craigslist.org/mcy/756293386.html

http://memphis.craigslist.org/mcy/820399266.html

http://dallas.craigslist.org/ndf/mcy/797160615.html

http://www.oodle.com/view/1979-Xs110...009690044/usa/

http://www.oodle.com/detail/1980-Yam...007210625/usa/

All over $2500... but I didn't see any with the touring package on. Tell them that this would make them worth even more than that!

Good luck.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I think Tod beat me to this one...

but maybe not...
            79 Special
            81 SH Something Special
            81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
            81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
            80 LG Black Magic
            78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
            For those on FB

Comment

Of course I did... but what's new? You know you enjoy a good beating anyway! lol..

Tod
              Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
              '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
              '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100
              *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Bro, fight em to the end. I wouldn't sell my xs for 4 grand plus. I have more in LABOR alone not counting how many pints of blood I have spilled on her. She owes me, and until I get my money's worth, she is mine...

Comment

Right On, Everyone !!

I couldn't have imagined a better response !! I have already begun to feed them the results you all have written about and posted.

Special thanks to Webb and Crazy, for the strategy plays, Wildkat and Tod for the fabulous links the rest for the support !! This is some great $hit!!
                  80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

79F Stone stocker and former daily driver, sold May '10 now converting for N.O. to cafe style
                  79SF Squared-off Special, Vetter/Bates tour pkg., Mikes XS coils, G rear fender and tail light. Sold June 09

Comment

Ok, the evil to the core insurance guy is going to weigh in....

You have a rare machine. In the People Repulic of California there are three ways to detirmine the value of a total loss.

One is comp vehicles from the local market area and taking the average of those adjusting for differences in milage and condition. There aren't going to be a lot of 11's for sale and they are going to have a wide range in value. While it is easy for any one on here to say, I wouldn't sell mine for under x, there are also a lot of threads about guys finding super clean machines for amazingly low prices. Remember, they owe you the average of what you could reasonably replace your bike for. Not the highest, not the lowest.

The next is dealer quotes. For a bike this age and this uncommon to sell at a dealership that wouldn't work either.

Third is independent apprasial. That cost is usually split between the vehicle owner and insurance company.

So, you can ask them for a copy of their value report. They do have to provide it to you if you ask.

Like you have already done, look for your own comps. They may argue that they are not in your market area but you can argue this is a specialty or rare vehicle and this is the only way to find comps.

I know most of you will find this hard to believe but for the most part they are not trying to cheat you, they are only going by the information they have available. Of course there are always good and bad people that work for every company. And some insurance companies are better than others.

My advise, don't trade emails. Get "Pat" on the phone, provide him (or her) with the information you have. If they balk, ask for a copy of their report. Just saying I want because I feel ain't gonna cut it.

Most of us are reasonable people and look for ways to help those who are reasonable with us.
                    1979 XS11SF (Shiny Red Sled)
                    1982 XJ11 (winter project- Black Beauty)
                    1992 XT225 (yard sale find)

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

Whoa, Whoa, there Tomatao ...

the evil to the core insurance guy
                      Sorry for the confusion here, Tom. I never meant to say or imply that insurance PEOPLE, themselves, are "evil to the core" ..... au contrare... the people who do insurance work are generally top notch folk. I know this because I was one once upon a time.

For every person who has been helped by an insurance company though, I bet I can find one who believes that they have been wronged by one. (and probably have been) Ya' don't have to look much farther than the stories of victims of Hur. Katrina. I know better than to think that ins. companies are really trying to help me. They will use every ploy, including omission of information that could be favorable to me, to INCREASE their bottom line. If you believe differently, Tom .... well ... that is your perspective and more power to you.

Far as the trading of emails with this Pat is concerned, this seems to be the way they want to work. I like having an exact record of what's been discussed between us. I would gladly shift to phone conversation but I have found with this company that that is merely a ticket to 'voice mail jail'.

Perhaps you know why this Pat has pressed me for reciepts since that doesn't seem to be a method valuing this bike in the People's Republic of Calicornia ??
                      80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

Don't worry, I said that tounge in cheek.

the evil to the core insurance guy
                        Anyway, the receipts can help show that your bike was worth more than their comps. If you just spent 1k putting new tires, doing a valve job, replacing the exhaust, etc... your bike may be worth more than the comps they have. It's not a dollar for dollar thing. Think of it this way, if you had identical bikes sitting on a lot, one has new tires, new seat, recent engine work, it is probably worth more than the one without.

The reciepts will help Pat show that your bike may be worth more than they came up with.
                        1979 XS11SF (Shiny Red Sled)
                        1982 XJ11 (winter project- Black Beauty)
                        1992 XT225 (yard sale find)

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

Here is what I recommend; go to download.com and down load Craigslist Reader. This program will allow you to search the ENTIRE United States for xs elevens in on swoop. Then you should have tons of good info.
                          '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

More good ideas ..

Thx, Tom and 81, didn't know about the bulk search vehicle for CL. Sweet.

Tom, that makes perfect sense regarding the receipts and I have asked her (Pat) for an example of how she would use these receipts to help value the bike. No answer on that yet. I have 'em but I'll be dammned if I'm gonna' waste my time digging out, photocopying and faxing all these things for just a few measly bucks. I'm retired but my time is still very valuable to me .... and I want to be careful as not to box myself in as well.
                            80G Mini-bagger

Past XS11s

Comment

My 79 special would not really help to value yours in your situation as it was restored by Bob Jones (Mirrium Cycles).

Bob liked to get paid for every minute his shop worked on an XS.

mro

Comment

Working...
                              X