It's a Maytag...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's a Maytag...

Saw a Maytag motorcycle today????? Anyone ever heard of them? Google search only gets appliances. The rider said it was a '76 and the side cover said 850.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Re: It's a Maytag...

Was it this one?

Just kidding, never heard of it and can't find one on Google. Probably an old Suzuki 850 with some old washing machine emblems!
    http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Probably

I thought it was really suspisious. Darn, one of those rare times I was without my camera. Side covers said SE850, but it looked like someone had tried to squeeze the "E" between the S and the 850. Only place I saw Maytag was on the tank. I don't know much about the maytag logo so I don't know what one looks like.
      You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
      Tkat fork brace
      Hardly mufflers
      late model carbs
      Newer style fuses
      Oil pressure guage
      Custom security system

Comment

Hey Dick,

I vaguely remember someone talking about a MayTag motorcycle, but a search on here hasn't revealed anything??

Here's their old logo!

T.C.
        T. C. Gresham
        81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
        79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
        History shows again and again,
        How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Here's a maytag scooter

http://www.gadgetengineer.com/motorcyclespecials.html
          Ernie
          79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
          (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Logo

TC, That's not the logo on the tank. It was a script (looks written) like font. I now think it was a hoax and like Montreux_Blue said, probably an old Suzi 850.

Drilled airbox
            Tkat fork brace
            Hardly mufflers
            late model carbs
            Newer style fuses
            Oil pressure guage
            Custom security system

Comment

I have looked and looked and looked and found no Maytag motorcycle. They did have a very short lived automobile and did make some tiny 2 cylinder gas engines but no motorcycles. Look at their history -

http://www.maytagclub.com/
              http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Hi Planedick,
                yeah, most likely someone's sense of humour at work. I saw a Toyota 1/4ton pickup once that had the tailgate's original embossed TOYOTA very neatly modified to read TONKA
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

The closest I found is this page of information for Maytag single and twin motors used on washing machines.
                  Ken Talbot

Comment

Could you tell how many cylinders it had Planedick? Can you tell us anything else about it, such as suspension (telescopic forks and disc brakes were developed in the 60's so that would indicate a 'fake' or seriuosly modified bike).

An 850 does sound overly large for the period in which Maytag were making engines, but they did build 1, 2 & 4 cylinder chain drive engines, some for cars, in their early 1900's, and it is not unrealistic to think that they could well have experimented with motorcycles. Vincent (aka Vincent HRD) experimented with aircraft motors, based on the big V twin, during WW2. Only one or two pilotless aircraft were ever developed, but over 100 motors were built, most of which are still around today, but few motorcyclists would think an aircraft was a genuine Vincent if they encountered one.

Another possibility is that the motorcycle was 'built' around a motor. I have a mate who has a 1930's Australian built ~2.5 litre V-twin watercooled stationary motor to which he has fitted an early English chain drive gearbox and mounted to an early Japanese chassis. The chassis has Mazda stamped into it, but Mazda know nothing about it (the chassis is tiny). Does he call the vehicle a Mazda, or by the name of the engine manufacturer, or just a bitza?

Comment

Many years ago my gran-dad gave me an old single cyl. maytag washing machine engine, it was a lot of fun to play with, lots of smoke and noise, just what a kid likes. When I went in the USAF my parents sold the house and it was hauled to the dump. I'd like to have another one to build a horseless carriage around.
                      Fastmover
                      "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
                      lion". SHL
                      78 XS1100e

Comment

SIG

I found a Maytag collector's group and they never heard of such a thing. Looks like someone took their logo and stuck it on the tank.

Drilled airbox
                        Tkat fork brace
                        Hardly mufflers
                        late model carbs
                        Newer style fuses
                        Oil pressure guage
                        Custom security system

Comment

Working...