Touring Windshield

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Touring Windshield

I've been reading bits and bobs on here about cutting and replacing windshields. Has anyone any pic's of a SF or the likes with a windshield fitted? I like the idea of having one myself but undecided which size to go for.

Al

Re: Touring Windshield

Originally posted by ardvark1
    I've been reading bits and bobs on here about cutting and replacing windshields. Has anyone any pic's of a SF or the likes with a windshield fitted? I like the idea of having one myself but undecided which size to go for.

Al
    Hmmm ..are you speaking of a frame mounted fairing like a Vetter Windjammer of are you talking abt a fork mounted windscreen?There are a few ppl here ,I am sure who have your model with fairings and or windscreens.On my '82 XJ 1100 I just mounted a Windjammer and the windsheild is quite tall...like 22".Its too tall to look over but luckily the quality of the windsheild is quite high and so there are no distortions in it.I am thinking of cutting the sheild down 3''-4" as to get better aerodynamics...heres a pic of my '82
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Originally posted by madmax-im

Its too tall to look over but luckily the quality of the windsheild is quite high and so there are no distortions in it.I am thinking of cutting the sheild down 3''-4" as to get better aerodynamics
      I had the same problem with my vetter. I sat on the bike while a buddy marked a line just below my eye level. He cut it off with a angle grinder and bevelled the top nicely. Makes a huge difference, especially in the rain. The air flows over it and just catches the top of my lid, nothing in my face.
      Ernie
      79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
      (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Cutting

I have cut all the windshields I have had to the height I can see over and like egsols said, works great. I have also had special replacemnts made out of polycarbinate by my bro in law who runs a plastics company. When cutting, I cover the area to be cut with masking tape and mark the cut line then use a sabre saw to do the cut. I finish the edge with a file and sandpaper.
        You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
        Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
        Drilled airbox
        Tkat fork brace
        Hardly mufflers
        late model carbs
        Newer style fuses
        Oil pressure guage
        Custom security system
        Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

smaller winshield

Here's the windshield I run with on my '79 Special. It sits below eye level and throws most of the wind right over your head. They're about $70 clear or tinted.

2H7 (79)
          3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

Xsive status

talk about rolling out the red carpet!
            Ernie
            79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
            (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

I've cut several windshields with a saber saw then used a grinder to finish them up, to add a professional touch run a propane torch over the edge a couple inches from the surface. Bikerpil, what did you use for saddle bag brackets on the black bike? Are they just the stock inside plates or did you make them yourself?
              Fastmover
              "Just plant us in the damn garden with the stupid
              lion". SHL
              78 XS1100e

Comment

saddle bag brackets

Wa407mpp....I used 90 degree angle iron from Home Depot. On the bike, one end bolted to the shock bolt, the other end bolted to the stock turn signal mounting hole. Another angle iron bolted to the bag. The bag bracket sits on top the bike bracket and is attached with 2 bolts for easy 2 minute removal. I also added a custom bent piece of flat iron bolted to an existing hole on the frame to the bottom of the bag for added support. They are mounted a little higher than normal, (Kerker 4-1), but they don't interfere with the passenger. Also, I modified the lids with a hinge in front, stock latch in back, so they can't fly off accidentally.
                2H7 (79)
                3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

The ones I'm on about are the smoked plain screens similar to the Harley types.

Al

Comment

I'm kinda partial to my setup with a National Cycle Street Shield. Mfg says, "will only fit Honda motorcycles"...........hehehe

My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

Working...
                    X