New from MI

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New from MI

Hi guys, I recently ran across your forum via google. I was looking for a wiring diagram for my 79XS11F and you had exactly what I was looking for. Wound up even being better then I was expecting to find. Love the colored diagram that actually corresponds with the wire color on the bike. Thanks.

Anyway I own 2 different Yamaha's. A 1981 XJ650 Maxim and a 1979 XS11F as I said before. I recently bought my XS11 and have been working on getting it rideable for right now. I bought it from one of my dad's friends who bought the bike brand new. It has been sitting in storage for 15+ years, but its really not too bad for what its been through. All the components to the bike were painted before being stored, tank, side covers, seat cowl and side pieces I mean.

As it sits right now I have no spark, I checked all the wiring and it seems to all be intact, but all the connectors are green and corroded, so I am going to clean them and see where I get. As soon as I find an Ohm meter I can check the components, if need be. Hopefully its nothing serious, but I don't think it is. The bike was only parked because he bought a Gold Wing, and still ran when it was parked. I have new tires waiting for it and can't wait to get on and ride.

My dad has a 78XS11 dresser that we just got running this summer after a 14 year down time. It's running great and hope to join him on mine soon.

My 81 XJ650 has turned into a really nice bike. I originally bought it to be a started bike for me, but fell in love with it and started to clean it up and polish out the bugs. Now it has a brand new tank from Yamaha on it, used but clean stock exhaust system and rebuilt carbs. Runs like a champ and looks darn good, if I I do say so myself.

Look forward to meeting more of you and hopefully I can get the bike up and running before I run out of summer up here in MI.
    1979 XS1100F Standard
    1981 XJ650 Maxim

Congrats on the find!! As you may see from my signature, I'm partial to the '79 standard myself. As you check wires, don't forget the GROUND locations!! The main one for the harness is on the reg/rec, and the battery ground goes to the frame, and THEN the engine. Make sure BOTH are clean.
    Welcome to the club.
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

Welcome to the xs club. Hope you get it going soon, you don't have much good riding weather left, unless your one of those crazies that rides till there is 6" of snow in the streets.
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

Hi Lunut,

Welcome to the XS11 crowd! I would've loved to be able to ride with my Dad when he was alive. I hope you two have many great memorable rides together!
        BobE
        Richmond, RI
        1980 XS1100G - "The Old Coot"

PREVIOUS RIDES
        2005 Venture, 1993 Venture, 1983 Venture
        1978 Gold Wing, 1983 Gold Wing
        1975 CB500T, 1983 Husqvarna 250WR
        1981 XL500, 1975 CB750K5
        1981 CB900F, 1965 C200 (Honda 90)
        1968 Powell Challenger (Hairy-Chested Mini-bike)

Comment

Im new too but welcome.. I know what ya mean about beating the upcoming fall/winter.. Im hopin to cram in some good ridin here now that I'm up and runnin (for now anyway).

Tryin to decide if I have enough bike to make it to florida this winter and loop around to alabama and home again blow off a month or so of the worst part of winter.. Hope I dont have to sell my soul and do the top/bottom end before then... 3k miles?? hahhah not sure yet.
          XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
          Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

Hi Lunut87! Greetings from Saginaw Mi

My 1978 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v518/mstic2000/xs.jpg

Comment

thats a nice clean looking bike mstic. Saginaw.. ya ever hear of Larry Mcray?
              XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
              Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

Thanks everyone for the welcome!

Originally posted by psycoreefer
                Welcome to the xs club. Hope you get it going soon, you don't have much good riding weather left, unless your one of those crazies that rides till there is 6" of snow in the streets.
                Ha, no I'm not quite that brave. last year I happened to put the XJ away the day before it snowed...Oct. 24.

mstic2000, thats a great lookin XJ. I would love to ride one of those someday. I've never seen one in person, how do those compare to the smaller XJ's for size and handling? I would assume its larger, it would have to be to hold the 1100 engine, but is it still as nimble as the smaller ones?

I sure do love riding with my dad, I hope to do a trip with him someday soon here. No real plans or anything but he and my mom used to ride to FL on his 78 XS11 dresser, yes from MI. Hopefully I can get mine running, and his doesn't need to be re-ringed, so we can do it. I think it'd be a blast.

My dad mentioned to me the other day that he thinks his is burning a little bit of oil. I hope that when we pulled it out of the barn and started it we didn't break a ring or scar a bore. I guess we'll see how it pans out as he rides it more.
                1979 XS1100F Standard
                1981 XJ650 Maxim

Comment

Working...
                X