Mini Vans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mini Vans

Why is it that people driving minivans always follow motorcycles too close? Today I was tailgated by two consecutive minivans. The first one was probably about ten feet away from me, and I tapped my brake lights multiple times trying to tell them to back off. After that didn't work I made some hand gestures (not the finger) at them to back off. Then they were where they were supposed to be. I think people who drive mini vans must either dislike people who have any youth at all, or they are ignorant and don't understand that riding a motorcycle is more dangerous than a car. Or maybe they weren't even paying attention, probably talking on their cell phone or doing their makeup or arguing with the brats in the back seat. And it's not always on the bike, either. Every time someone pulls out in front of me, it's a minivan. Every time someone leaves a dent in my door, it's a minivan. I don't even park next to vans anymore! Does anyone else feel this way? I'm sure there are some decent people who drive vans, I just haven't seen too many. That's my rant of the day.

i avoid tractor trailers because they are dangerous to me now i can look out fof minivans, thanks for the tip.
    "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
    History
    85 Yamaha FJ 1100
    79 yamaha xs1100f
    03 honda cbr 600 f4
    91 yamaha fzr 600
    84 yamaha fj 1100
    82 yamaha seca 750
    87 yamaha fazer
    86 yamaha maxim x
    82 yamaha vision
    78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

I always thought Semi drivers were supposed to be really safe drivers. are you talking about the wide turns?

Comment

Mini vans do that to me all the time no matter what I drive. I think it is the large windshields. Maybe they think they are on the starship enterprize looking at that giant screen (and presumably have shields).

Seriously though I have noticed that lately. Im in a 97 olds gutlass putting along like grandma tryin to conserve gas and the only people that bother me are minivans. Flying up behind me at light speed then doin the "back and forth" uncertian if they can pass. Then they always end up passing you erraticaly in a no passing zone. (oh those lines on the road mean something? haha).

How much you wanna bet they are on a phone complaining to someone about traffic??
        XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
        Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

Maybe it's because there are so many mini vans out there now.
          You should see hom many vehicles (motorcycles included) that tailgate me in my tractor-trailer. Had a motor cop today pull out and come after me. I thought I was going to get pulled over (I wasn't speeding). He disappeared behind me and in my right mirror I saw him stopping a mini truck that was so close I couldn't see him. I see the shadow of tailgaters al the time. If I don't like it, I gradually slow down until they go around. In my rig I stay 4 to 6 seconds behind the vehicle in front of me. Too many others don't. If I hit someone from behind it's not a fender-bender.... someone dies. Sadly, if a bike is hit by a Mini Cooper (example), the biker dies.
          I have found that bikes are my least problem as they are in close proximity for such a short amount of time. They are usually speeding and splitting lanes.
          The worst vehicle group I have encountered (long before getting my CDL) is white Jeep Cherokees.
          Last edited by Pat Kelly; 09-01-2008, 07:16 PM.
          Pat Kelly
          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Re: Mini Vans

Originally posted by al_ngl
            Why is it that people driving minivans always follow motorcycles too close?
            Because it's easier to check out their butts?

I drive a Mom-mobile... out of necessity... but that's beside the point...
            Maybe it's because I ride... but I tend to watch very carefully how I drive around bikes... but I do notice a great deal of SUV drivers and mini-van drivers talking on the phone while driving... but it isn't just them... Most problem drivers I've encountered have been on the phone... vehicle type doesn't matter...

I stay out of the big trucks way no matter what I think of their driving abilities... They are a lot harder to compensate for due to their size... I figure it's just best to give them plenty of space...
            81 SH Something Special
            81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
            81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
            80 LG Black Magic
            78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
            For those on FB

Comment

Originally posted by al_ngl
              I always thought Semi drivers were supposed to be really safe drivers. are you talking about the wide turns?
              Maybe they are good drivers, if they can see you! They have very limited visibility. And the draft from them will push you around in directions you don't want to go. I just zip past real fast to get in front of them.
              http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

I have found more and more of the "Professional" drivers in the rigs to be a problem. When you are coming up fast in the fast lane, they pull right out in front of you and shut you down (I assume it's amusing to them) or run a rolling roadblock for mile after mile with another rig at @ 5-10 mph UNDER the speed limit. In these cases, I think it should be legal to start shooting out tires... I'd also like to say that none of these rigs have been passed on the shoulder and both of them given some international sign language.... but I can't. lol.

I have been in some close calls with regular cage drivers, but I expect this kind of thing from them, so it doesn't bother me as much.

Tod
                Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                '06 Suzuki DR650
                *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                '81 XS1100 Special
                '81 YZ250
                '80 XS850 Special
                '80 XR100
                *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

I'll have to be more cautious around semis. I knew about the wide turns and low visibility, but blatantly interrupting traffic? That's pretty bad. I haven't ridden on the interstate yet so I haven't ridden next to semis much.

Comment

Passing with a big rig is frustrating for the operator too.
                    -Finding an opening to change lanes with a rig 70 feet long can be challanging. 4 wheelers are comming up faster than the truck and the cars tend to be closer to each other (despite the higher speed)
                    -This 70 foot long truck that has been stuck behind the slower truck now has to accellerate 40 tons to pass the other truck. a total vehiclelength of 140 feet.
                    - For safe spacing we need to have at least another truck length before moving back to the right... 210 feet. This is a mooving 210 feet that can take a mile to accomplish.
                    -Add to this that the slower truck may now speed up (the a-hole) leaving the passer "hung out to dry".
                    It takes very little effort for a car or bike to slow for a minute while the big-rig passes, then get back to speed. The truck can take many miles to slow then regain speed for a slower vehicle.
                    A frustrating area for me is when I'm driving my truck at 59 MPH (CA speed limit is 55) and I get to an on-ramp. The car drives the length of the ramp at 40 MPH then accellerates once on the freeway, or worse, being at the end of the ramp, I've slowed to let them on (can't move over for all the cars whizzing by on my left), and they hit the brakes.

Just as we cyclists think everyone should ride on a bike to see our frustration, everyone should take a ride in a big-rig to see what the road throws at them.

I personally don't find it amuzing to hold-up traffic, it's just what happens in the real world when vehicles share the road.
                    Pat Kelly
                    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

hey i have a mini van and i don't tailgate...
                      can't put the whole family in a sidecar... i have 3 kids with 1 on the way!!!
                      " She'll make point five past lightspeed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself. "

79 xs11 standard
                      xs pods, Kerker 4-1, zrx1200r carbs mikesxs coils 35k voltz of power!!!
                      8mm msd wires
                      tkat fork brace...
                      Fox shocks...
                      mikes650 front fender
                      led's gallore...
                      renthal bars
                      gold valve emulators
                      vmax tensioner
                      Rifle fairing

Comment

Pat, I have driven trucks also and still have my CDL. I know when a truck is trying to just pass, and that isn't a problem. Out here in the middle of the U.S., there's a lot more room between cars when you're away from the cities than there is on the west coast. The problem I have is having everyone in the slow lane, me clipping along in the fast lane with miles ahead and behind me of clear lane.... then having a truck pull out in front of me when he could have waited about 5 -10 seconds.

SO.. I can tell the difference between someone just trying to do their job, and someone being bored and screwing with people.

Tod
                        Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                        '06 Suzuki DR650
                        *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                        '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                        '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                        '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                        '81 XS1100 Special
                        '81 YZ250
                        '80 XS850 Special
                        '80 XR100
                        *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

Nobody said all truck or van drivers are bad drivers. There are bad drivers/operators in any type of vehicle. It's just more noticeable when a larger vehicle does it.

Comment

Ive been behind a few of those rolling roadblocks.. very frustrating but I have to say the few times it happened to me.. you realize later on that there is a horrible accident up ahead a few miles.. those trucks are actually helping because now we are all still moving along at a snails pace. I guess mabye they were doin that on purpose. Id rather creep along slowly and have some airflow than sit in hot traffic..

Not sure if its really that organized but thats what happend a few times to me.
                            XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
                            Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

TBH, Dumbasses drive all kinds of vehicles. Minivans are just very popular, so there are more jerks in them. I have found the worst ones to deal with are yuppies on custom built choppers. I guess they figure since they spent enough money to buy a small country on their "chopper", they own the road. Maybe they are pissed because I have less than two grand and am having more fun. Big Dog drivers, Victory drivers and any prefab "chopper" guys will cut me off, tailgate, pass in the same lane, and anyother stunt they can pull. Guys with grease under their nails are much more kindly on the road, and they wave too.

Truckers, as I understand, are just trying to do their job. I have met the rolling roadblocks, and more often than not, its the car they are trying to pass that is screwing with the trucker. I have seen cases where the trucker has a good view into a convertible and pauses to savor the cleavage for a bit. That gets to me, cause they should at least share with other drivers.

One of they guys I work with has been riding for 30 or more years and he said he carries a pocket full of bolts and washers and such just for persistant tailgaters. Not sure if I am that gutsy, but I certainly understand his frustration.
                              Ich habe dich nicht gefragt.

Comment

Working...
                              X