Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

No front fender Illegal or legal? (oklahoma)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No front fender Illegal or legal? (oklahoma)

So i have a 79 yamaha xs1100sf and i want to pull the front chrom fender off it. I don't like it and i want a bratstyle bobber look. So i was wondering am i gonna get into a lot of trouble with a motorcycle and no front fender? I've seen a few round town without one but i was just wondering? Thanks everybody!
    Yes it's a damn nice bike, yes it's in REALLY good condition, yes it would be a shame to chop it, BUT damn how cool would it look with ape hangers?

"Check with the DMV."

I had one of those booklets laying around here.. but can't find it now.
    You know... booklet from DMV... like when you take your driver's test.
    "Rules of the Road for Motorcycles"
    Must have turn signals... must have a headlight but not more than two... must have mirrors....

Here's your answer:

http://www.oscn.net/applications/osc...?CiteID=437656
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

What crap! My fenders are ugly! Dang! Thats a PITA!!! Oh well i guess i'll have to actually find some pantable fenders for it! Dang!
      Yes it's a damn nice bike, yes it's in REALLY good condition, yes it would be a shame to chop it, BUT damn how cool would it look with ape hangers?

Comment

There's a bike(kawi 750twin) where I work that parks in the lot every day with no fender on the front. And it always has a nice coating of **** from the bottom of the motor all the way up to the headlight, lol. But doesn't appear he's having problems with Johnny Law.
        79 XS11 special

Comment

i know i've had a couple friends of mine run no front fender and they never had any problems with "the man" round here. Humm....? Anyways i guess for now i'll live with the chromey unless someone wants to trade for a paintable style fender?

Comment

ur better off with the fender on,
            it helps prevent the forks from flexing,
            y dont u paint ur chrome one?
            pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots
            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

lets not forget the original reason for fenders. They keep the stuff from flying off your wheels and hitting you or your bike.
              United States Merchant Marine Academy, Kings Point, NY
              If I can do it at 18 yrs old, anyone can
              "You know something, You can't polish a turd"
              "What are you rebelling against", "Well, what do you got?"
              Acta Non Verba

Comment

"lets not forget the original reason for fenders. They keep the stuff from flying off your wheels and hitting you or your bike."

And everyone else who doesn't like rude morons throwing rocks on thier cars!

I shake my head at twits that like to detune thier bikes.
                Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
                '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Removing the front fender won't cause that many problems. These bikes are too close and wide at the front for crap to end up on the rider, indeed, not being a driven wheel you won't even get much in the way of stones being kicked up. But if you're in a wet environment the efficiency of the oil cooler will be reduced if it becomes coated in crap.

Most streetfighters have their rear fender removed, and I have ridden behind a number of them without undue stone problems, and that's sitting right on their tail while racing through backroad twisties. Do occasionally get hits on my hands (fingerless gloves) which stings, but that's all. PITA in the wet though, you can't sit as close without covering your visor with dirt and crap.

Do have to watch who's behind you if you light it up in gravel though.

Comment

Not having the front fender will throw up a nice line of spray (mud, rocks, oil, and whatever eles is on the road) for you to drive through, whenever you ride in the rain.

Not having a rear fender gives you a skunk stripe up the back, or at least my bikes did when I was 10.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Originally posted by Crazcnuk

Not having a rear fender gives you a skunk stripe up the back, or at least my bikes did when I was 10.
                      Aaaah that might explain those occasional noxious odours when I'm at the pub, that or the kebabs I'd eaten

While I remove the rear fender I don't normally shorten the length of the seat unit, so no skunk stripe. But I have had stones destroy the underside of tail light lens covers and bulbs. I now position the rego plate to cover that area.

Comment

I was always somewhat amazed at how far around water would come off the back wheel.

I think it's more prevalent at pedal bike speeds, though, as with faster modes the air going by starts to become a factor in keeping the spray to the back. However, this is exactly the problem with the spray off the front wheel...

So driving around town is far messier than buzzing down the highway in the rain.

'05 ST1300

Comment

Wondering about how much the front fender stops.....look at the underside of it
                          Ernie
                          79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
                          (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Paint the chrome one, I did. And I also have a huger fender that stops at about 12 o'clock. I get soaked when it rains, no matter how fast I am going. My buddies behind me said I was throwing a 30 foot roster at about 40 mph.
                            "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
                            "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
                            79 XS1100 modified standard
                            Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
                            pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
                            straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
                            new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
                            Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
                            Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
                            owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

fenderless in the rain

To quote my local motorcycle Guru
                              " Focusing one's mind on peering through that upward-flowing waterfall for oncoming traffic does distract one from the chill of one's water-cooled testicles. "
                              Or you could sandblast & paint the existing fender if your aesthetic sense is offended by the chrome.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X