%^#@$!^ Yami Dealer....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• %^#@$!^ Yami Dealer....

I finally got my new brake rotors in (from MikesXS). So I took the front wheel off the bike and, before swapping the rotors, stopped by the Yami dealer that I had mount my tires because I have a slow leak. Once I get there, I'm told they don't do ANY tire repairs. Too much liability they say. Tire only has about 1000 miles on it.

<RANT>

So now I have yet ANOTHER thing on my list of things to do by myself... I'm up to my eyeballs with work and other things for my wife to do right now and I really didn't want to take the time to muck with this as well. I think all the Yami dealer wants to do is move new stock.

</RANT>

I wanna get my clean-up repairs done so I can enjoy at least one GOOD ride this year before bad weather sets in.

If I find it isn't just the valve stem, does anyone have suggestions on tire changing/balancing gear? Is the changer & balancer at HarborFreight any good?

Eric
    Eric Roellig
    1980 SG w Windjammer V & KG hard bags
    **Very first bike**
    Current condition: Running!!! Lead, follow or get the #^%# out of my way!!!!!!

None of the local shops repair tires.

I know I wouldn't.
    Sure, I may patch or plug my own, but wouldn't do it for a customer. Too much liability.
    Now, if it's just a bad valve stem, no reason why they can't do that, but then again, it's gonna cost ya. With breaking the bead and maybe removing the tire to get at the valve stem... might have to charge the same as mounting a tire.

'course, one can do it themselves....

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...ht=tire+change
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

When i bought my XS11 i knew it would need some carb work. Just a cleaning and a check to make sure they were ok. Because carbs are my major downfall, and lack of time, I wanted to have them done at a Yamaha dealer. Tried two different dealers here in Central Ohio. They both basically told me that a bike that has sat that long, in a barn ,not outside, would never be a runner again. Even when I said I was willing to accept the work with no warranty they said no way. I finaly got out of one them to admit that since my 78 was pre computer they really did not have anyone that could work on it unless it could tell them what was wrong with it. ^%%$##@# I was lucky enough to find some one who only works on old bikes. He did a a good cleaning and synching, also found a leaking float which he fixed. I have had no problems at all in 3 years and over 25k miles. So i feel your pain. I had to stop a Honda dealer to get a clutch cqble for my wifes Shadow, which they didn't have by the way. Anyway, as I pulled up on my 78 XS I was met by an eager salesmen. He wanted to know if I was ready to "trade up". I asked him if they had any new bikes that had nice easy power, long legs, were comfortable to ride, had a full fairing and complete hard bags, could be worked on without a computer, and did not look like every other bike being sold today. He gave me a dirty look and stomped away. Oh well.
      78E ... Gone but not forgotten
      2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

Thanks for the reference Prom.

If I'm gonna suck-it-up & do it myself, at least I can count on the best information posible here.

Eric
        Eric Roellig
        1980 SG w Windjammer V & KG hard bags
        **Very first bike**
        Current condition: Running!!! Lead, follow or get the #^%# out of my way!!!!!!

Comment

I ran over something metallic once on my Shadow and poked a hole in my rear tire. I took the wheel off and took it to a place to replace it. They did and as I was about to leave I asked where my old tire was. (it only had about 2000 miles on it). He said we through it away!

I told him I wanted it. He had his helper go out to the trash and get it.

I wanted to keep it because now that it was off I could patch it from the inside and have a spare.

Kinda pissed me off they would just chuck it without asking. But I knew they wouldn't patch it for liability reasons. But I had heard of tires being patched from the inside and lasting just as long as a new tire.

They probably was going to fix it and sell it as used. Wouldn't surprise me.
          Never scratch your head with a nail gun!

1982 XJ1100

Comment

Everything gets chucked unless someone says they want it.

Sure, ya always hold parts like starters or stators to show to the customer that they indeed, had been replaced, but tires?
            Have only had one person ask for his tire back... he had another bike he wanted to put it on.
            They probably was going to fix it and sell it as used. Wouldn't surprise me.
            It'd surprise me.
            You'd be hard-pressed to find a shop that would sell someone a used tire. Again, liability issues.

Nothing wrong with patching a tire yourself.
            Then again, a shop looks at... did the puncture damage the threads or radial belts? Are the ply's gonna separate?
            Suppose the patch slowly leaks. (And we all know how often people check their tire pressure.)
            So this guy goes screaming down an on-ramp, and his now under-inflated tire rolls offa the rim. Who do you think his lawyers are gonna target?

Tires... I hate them.
            "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor, not a mechanic!' ('Bones' McCoy)

Comment

The Harbor Frieght changer does good for the money it cost. I bought both a changer and a balancer from them for well less than a hundred bucks about 6 years ago now. Have the changer screwed down to the floor in the garage. Have probably did upwards of fifteen hundred dollars worth of changing on them , so not a bad investment. Just a lot more work than the auto changers in most shops but well worth getting.
              POTTS CREEK EXPRESS

IF YOU AINT THE LEAD DOG
              THE VIEW IS ALWAYS THE SAME
              1980 G Full Dresser

Comment

Nothing wrong with patching a tire yourself.

I've patched a few of my own with out problems.
                Never had to take the tire off either.
                I've read where guys have used plugs, but never seemed like a good idea to me.
                Bike tires are just a little on the thin side.

mro

Comment

Working...
                X