Headlamp Modulators?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlamp Modulators?

Just curious if anyone has a HM on their XS or XJ?I have seen these on various other makes and years of m/c's.I have yet to see one on our older machines.
    There is some controversy over the good and the evil of using a HM...so how do you all feel abt them?
    Personally I would like to add one to all of my bikes.Having bright lights on your bike only does so much.These days almost evryone has daytime running lamps...so whats to distinguish a car from a m/c? A headlamp modulator would give a m/c that distinction.I have seen bikes approach me from 1/2 mile away with a HM flashing...its eyecatching... almost immediately you see it and you see it early...something abt pulsating light just grabs your attention
    1980 XS650G Special-Two
    1993 Honda ST1100

The big reason I've NOT put one on is the cost. Around here, they want $120 for the little bit of silicon that modulates the light. I KNOW it's only about $10.00 worth of parts, and I don't think I want to make someone that much money that fast. I will probably build my own on down the road, but only if I DON'T convert to a HID lamp. I know the modulators will not work with HID technology.
    JMHO
    Ray Matteis
    KE6NHG
    XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
    XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I want one, but price has kept me from getting one. I like the idea. Go for it.
      1979 xs1100 Special -
      Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
      Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
      My Bike:
      [link is broken]

Comment

i bought one from jc whitney for not that much, however i had to return it after it malfunctioned in 3 or 4 months, i now have hid which more that compensates....
        "a good man knows his limitations" dirty harry
        History
        85 Yamaha FJ 1100
        79 yamaha xs1100f
        03 honda cbr 600 f4
        91 yamaha fzr 600
        84 yamaha fj 1100
        82 yamaha seca 750
        87 yamaha fazer
        86 yamaha maxim x
        82 yamaha vision
        78 yamaha rd 400

Comment

Try flicking up and down with your thumb, it'll do the same thing, you'll get a work out and have spent no $'s
          Si Parker
          '81 XS1100H

Tkat brace, new coils/wires/plugs, refurbed carbs (thanks 81 xsproject), recon'd top end, windshield (thanks dpotter58), resprayed tank and panels, 4-1 exhaust, sweet xs pod filters, in line fuel filters, progressive springs, thick hand grips, jumped headlight relay.

Comment

Originally posted by SiP
            Try flicking up and down with your thumb, it'll do the same thing, you'll get a work out and have spent no $'s
            Si...I have done this but there are times when your attention is focused on the situation in front of you.It isnt always that easy to just flick the hi beams up and down...a modulator will do this for you ...it is also a wise idea to have a sw. that can turn it off too.
            I would not shy away from the expense of purchasing a HM...its money well spent and could really make the difference in being seen.
            1980 XS650G Special-Two
            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

You can make one for next to nothing....just need a special headlight and two bolts, two nuts and two lock washers....locate the headlight adjusting bracket and install one bolt, washer and nut throught the slot above the headlight adjusting bolt...install other bolt just below the adjusting bolt....then loosen the adjusting bolt slighty.....voila....now when you ride the headlight will bounce up and down attracting all sorts of attention (just like they used to on some of the older bikes, you know which ones I mean)
              Ernie
              79XS1100SF (no longer naked, now a bagger)
              (Improving with age, the bike that is)

Comment

Originally posted by egsols
                You can make one for next to nothing....just need a special headlight and two bolts, two nuts and two lock washers....locate the headlight adjusting bracket and install one bolt, washer and nut throught the slot above the headlight adjusting bolt...install other bolt just below the adjusting bolt....then loosen the adjusting bolt slighty.....voila....now when you ride the headlight will bounce up and down attracting all sorts of attention (just like they used to on some of the older bikes, you know which ones I mean)

Are they metric compliant for us Aussies?

Comment

Originally posted by egsols
                  Ernie...while I am never one to refuse a method to save money...I have to say that this isnt even close to what I had in mind...actually I think its kinda ridiculous...no offense and I appreciate all suggestions...but I dont want to drive around with a loose headlamp bouncing around.Granted in the daytime it wouldnt matter but after dark...you want the proper focus of light ahead of you and not bouncing all over the place.
                  I'm interested in saving money but I'm not a cheap bastard when it comes to my safety..so this idea is getting tossed.
                  I understand that alot of us ride these bikes because we cant afford to buy new...but it seems to me that some of us are just plain cheap/frugal with our money.
                  1980 XS650G Special-Two
                  1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

madmax-im,

You're right...my suggestion is ridiculous....I wasn't serious.....I just remembered years ago when a certain make of bike had bouncing headlights which weren't originally designed as a safety feature
                    Ernie

Comment

Found this...looks pretty inexpensive....http://www.jcwhitney.com/webapp/wcs/...1#BVQAWidgetID
                      Ernie

Comment

Here's a schematic for a simple and cheap headlight modulator for those interested in building their own.

http://www.mindspring.com/~wayne.orw...ls.html#smlmod

Parts should be no more than $10 retail.

Comment

Knowhow

Ray sez:-
                          "Around here, they want $120 for the little bit of silicon that modulates the light. I KNOW it's only about $10.00 worth of parts,"
                          Hi Ray,
                          there's the story of someone querying the $120 the Irishman billed him for removing the dent from a boiler:-
                          "To whacking your boiler one time with a sledgehammer to pop the dent out, $10.
                          To knowing exactly where & how hard to hit the bastard, $110."
                          It's not only the parts that you are paying for, it's also paying for them knowing how to make those $10worth of parts modulate your headlight.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Ernie I hope you know that they are NOT legal in ON. I asked the cops last time I was chatting with them. They think it is stupid as well but you can be charged.
                            http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

StrippedFJ - thats a cool page. Who knew you could build one that easily.

As for the price I think your mostly paying for all the hoops that a manufacturer has to jump through to get DOT approved to sell these things as street legal. Ya know testing and such.
                              1979 xs1100 Special -
                              Stock air box/K&N Filter, MAC 4-2 exhaust, Bad-Boy Air horn, TC fuse box, Windshield, Soft bags, Vetter Fairing, Blinkers->Run/Turn/Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator, hard wire GPS power

Short Stack - 1981 xs1100 Standard - lowered for SWMBO.

Originally posted by fredintoon
                              Goes like a train, corners like a cow, shifts like a Russian tractor, drinks like a fish, you are gonna love it.
                              My Bike:
                              [link is broken]

Comment

Working...
                              X