Yes, You/We ARE Invisible!! Part1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No longer invisible

I have found a way to not be invisible. Cops around here wear helmets that are white on top and black around the bottom. I had a black helmet that got too hot in the summer, sssoooooooo I painted the top of my helmet white and left the bottom black. I know this works, because every cage I come up behind taps the brake and slows down. I think to finish the job by painting the vents in my windshield red and blue!!! I know that black and white always gets my attention when I'm in the cage. Sort of automatic, like, you know, even in the edges of my visual range I never miss that combination and I think others are tuned into that also. Some have even told me I look like a cop back there, especially when I have on my black leather jacket too.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

The more I think about that the more I like it.. Great Idea
      XS1100 F/G (79 Bike/80 Motor)
      Grab a tetanus shot and jump on!!!

Comment

I wonder if the cops would harass you if you paint the vents.It
        would pretty much guarantee people will notice you though.
        80 SG XS1100
        14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

I don't care

They will have to change the law, because it says I can't have red and blue lights up front. Painted vents don't count, yet. Maybe a black and white MC would help. LOL
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system

Comment

Re"Maybe a black and white MC would help. LOL"

Ya, and a timing light in your hand (might look like a radar gun).LOL
            80 SG XS1100
            14 Victory Cross Country

Comment

Looks like...

What do you think?

Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system

Comment

Since Spring is here, BUMP!

Just wanted to BUMP this up since I have YET to make it a tech tip!
                Also wanted to make sure the photos would work, etc.!

So..newbies and such, if you haven't seen this thread, please read it from the Beginning!
                Be safe, be seen, have fun!
                T.C.
                T. C. Gresham
                81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                History shows again and again,
                How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Very excellent TC! Lots of stuff they did not cover in my MSF course.

One concept I have drilled into my little pea brain also is that when someone is turning left and I am not, while I am passing that SUV, the cars approaching from the left have no possbile way to see me. So I assume someone is blowing the light and gonna cream me from the left until I pass the vehicle.

Also, when I went to buy a helmet, the guy at the MC shop explained to me that the most hit colors of cars are in order (IIRC) Grey, white, black. Because they all blend with road surfaces. The main reason I bought a helmet with colored graphics. The bike is black, I wanted something on my head to stand out!!!
                  Life is what happens while your planning everything else!

When your work speaks for itself, don't interrupt.

81 XS1100 Special - Humpty Dumpty
                  80 XS1100 Special - Project Resurrection

Previously owned
                  93 GSX600F
                  80 XS1100 Special - Ruby
                  81 XS1100 Special
                  81 CB750 C
                  80 CB750 C
                  78 XS750

Comment

It works

I can say for sure that the black and white helmet makes 'em see me. They even let me know they see me by tapping the brake or at least slowing down for a little. I will say for sure that it works.

Drilled airbox
                    Tkat fork brace
                    Hardly mufflers
                    late model carbs
                    Newer style fuses
                    Oil pressure guage
                    Custom security system

Comment

I take the military approved MSF course here on base monday, I just forwarded your posts TopCat, the instructor really liked the info and said he will use it. Thanks, you're really making a difference to how people will ride with this.
                      1980 XS11SG
                      Dunlop elite 3's, progressive fork springs, tkat brace
                      Stock motor, airbox, carbs, exhaust
                      ratted out, mean, and nasty

Comment

Originally posted by TopCatGr58 View Post
                        Just wanted to BUMP this up since I have YET to make it a tech tip!
                        Also wanted to make sure the photos would work, etc.!

So..newbies and such, if you haven't seen this thread, please read it from the Beginning!
                        Be safe, be seen, have fun!
                        T.C.
                        TC this thread deserves to be made into a STICKY! Get on it! This info is way too valuable for people tot come across it by chance...and you wouldnt need to keep bumping it up....just sayin'..... JAT!
                        1980 XS650G Special-Two
                        1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Just finally read this. It was excellent! Very educational. I agree 100% about trying to have this professionally made into a brochure or little booklet and sold to the MSF and DMV. I think it would really drive the point home about just how "invisible" we really are.
                          "I said I never had much use for [a pistol], never said I didn't know how to use one."

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Maroon) - "Organ Donor" - Parts bike

'82 Maxim XJ1100J (Black) - "Outrider" - Dynojet Stage 1 kit, Kerker 4-1 exhaust, AGM battery, Mikes XS coils, small inline fuel filters, Dunlopp Elite-3 tires

'06 Star Warrior (Custom Gadsden Flag Theme) - "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ" - Sissy bar w/ luggage rack, 4" risers, braided stainless steel cables and brake line; Mods on deck: new exhaust, new seat

Comment

Originally posted by planedick View Post
                            I have found a way to not be invisible. Cops around here wear helmets that are white on top and black around the bottom. I had a black helmet that got too hot in the summer, sssoooooooo I painted the top of my helmet white and left the bottom black. I know this works, because every cage I come up behind taps the brake and slows down. I think to finish the job by painting the vents in my windshield red and blue!!! I know that black and white always gets my attention when I'm in the cage. Sort of automatic, like, you know, even in the edges of my visual range I never miss that combination and I think others are tuned into that also. Some have even told me I look like a cop back there, especially when I have on my black leather jacket too.
                            While I would tend to agree that people see cops more readily than not...Dont kid yourself on thinking that 80 year old lady with one eye is gonna see you 5 secs down the road before she pulls out in front of you... And BTW you and your bike are still too dark... I wear hi-viz lime /yellow jackets and many times people tell me I look like a cop...
                            Last edited by madmax-im; 04-07-2009, 05:21 PM.
                            1980 XS650G Special-Two
                            1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Great advice

That's the best advice any motorcycle rider can get, new or experienced. I just assume that everybody is going to pull out in front of me, or cut me off and then when it happens I'm not surprised, and more importantly that allows the room for it.
                              "Shop"
                              Click Here! For the latest XS11 bobber update. shopschops.blogspot.com

Comment

I hope I didn't step on toes

T.C. - I took the liberty of copying the images and the text from your original thesis for this thread, and created a bit of an informational booklet out of it. It's formatted to be printed, double-sided, on standard paper, and allows the reader to get around the "forum look" of the original post. I really liked the information you put together, and I know that the sentiment is shared by just about everyone else here. I have linked to the PDF file on my website here. If you would rather I not post it, I would not feel at all upset. Just let me know, and I will take it down.
                                1980 XS850SG - Sold
                                1981 XS1100LH Midnight Special (Sold) - purchased 9/29/08
                                Fully Vetterized and Dynojet Kit added, Heated Grips, Truck-Lite LED headlight, Accel Coils, Irridium plugs, TKAT Fork Brace, XS850LH Final Drive & Black SS Brake lines from Chacal.
                                Here's my web page devoted to my bike! XS/XJ User's Manuals there, and the XJ1100 Service Manual and both XS1100 Service manuals (free download!).

Whether you think you can, or you think you cannot - You're right.
                                -H. Ford

Comment

Working...
                                X