A question for the Paint Pros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question for the Paint Pros

The up coming painting project is rapidly approaching. I am not doing anything crazy like making reptilian scale patterns out of slutty stockings My question is, what should I do about smoothing over the badge mount depressions. I don't want to hear anything from the purists, either!

I don't like the gold blocky badges, period. What I want to do is smooth over and then clear over 3t decals. I know from the body work experience I do have that large patches of bondo can shrink over time and cause issues. I have looked at the body solder kits in the Eastwood mag, but $100+ for the small kit is a little more than I want to spend. I was already planning on grinding out the spot welds for the mounting brackets. Any suggestions?
    Last edited by 81xsproject; 07-08-2008, 08:20 PM.
    '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Any suggestions?

Flat Black...... ...Seriously, the body solder works miracles in small cracks/crevices were bodo/putty doesnt have enough surface area to adhere without flaking problems....My 2 Cnts. However, I did just fiberglass bondo the emblem depressions with great results....chop
    MDRNF
    79F.....Not Stock
    80G......Not Stock Either....In the works

Comment

I am going to remove my Yamaha's also. I havn't looked behind them yet. I'll most likely be filling base filler with a fiberglass reignforced filler called duraglass. Tigerhair or Gorilla are 2 others. Then skim 3 times with a lite filler like Featherlite or bondo. Sand entire 80 grit, fill and skim anywhere else you need. Sand spots flush. Wipe/clean, tack, prime heavy, block with 220, prime med, block with 400 dry or 600 wet, clean, tack, spray base.

I think that covers it.

Edit: Mines gonna be fire red pearl. panals and fenders and tank.
      Last edited by DavesXS; 07-08-2008, 08:30 PM.

Comment

hey there 81xsproject...not a paint pro by any standards.....but i do know how to repair stuff.....i know that sound funny but trust me....as far as your issue goes, why not turn the tank on its side and just fill in the badge area with lead......should be easy and quick...it is very sandible (is that a word?)......and should hold tight to the fresh metal...also, the bracket will lock it in into the surface of the tank, so it should not move much....talk 2 ya later...ross
        rebel devil
        1979 xs 1100f standard
        authenic historical vehicle
        42°36'23.52"N, 82°52'44.78"W
        "I'M IN MY HAPPY PLACE"
        "i got 14 jobs mon....you only got 1 job....you lazy bones mon"
        "if you don't wrench on it, get behind me satan!"
        '96 venture cct.....installed!
        stainless, braided, pvc coated brake lines
        i can translate...deustch, nederlands, 汉语, 漢語, français, ελληνικά, italiano, 한국어, português, русско, español and most importantly, 日本語....

Comment

The base fiberglass reinforced filler can be replaced with real metal of most any kind. But will still need a lite filler on top and the rest of the finish goes the same as described above.

Edit: You'll have to over sand the metal filler before applying lite filler. If you don't skim you'll always see the edges of the repair.
          Last edited by DavesXS; 07-08-2008, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Filler

there is a filler on teh market called real metal it is basicly ground up material with a hardener it is Gnarly stuff it will stick to anything it does not shrink and will last like steel. just make sure you use iy with good ventilation. then a light coat of filler to make it perfect.
            John
            79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
            80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
            06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
            2000 Concours
            84 Kawi KLR600
            79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
            79 XR250
            Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
            John

Comment

Usually body filler shrinks at the edges due to poor adhesion. When you remove your emblems sand blast around the area where they went so the mud has a rough surface to stick to and you should have no problems with shrinkage.
              78 standard

81 midnight special

Comment

Hey Jessie,

You're right the bondo can show over time, especially if it is applied liberaly (not as in politics but as in thick). You don't want to be more than about 1/8 of an inch. If you really want it done nice you could run by a local body shop and have them fill it for you. Likely they won't charge you much since it is a small job.

I use to go to Fortuna for work and dealt with Bob Aldrich's Body Shop a lot. Though I usually don't like to recommend shops as once I do they do something stupid, they did pretty good quality work. I would guess they could fill take care if for you for about an hours worth of labor or around $60. If I still worked that area I would run it by for you. Heck, if you're looking for just a solid color they may be able to do it cheaper than you think. Of course you don't get the pride of doing it yourself you also don't have the frustration if it doesn't turn out like you want.

I work with body shops and most of the problems with paint I see have nothing to do with paint application and a lot to do with poor body work.

The best thing about free advice is that it's, well, free.
                1979 XS11SF (Shiny Red Sled)
                1982 XJ11 (winter project- Black Beauty)
                1992 XT225 (yard sale find)

Decide-Commit-Succeed

Comment

Don't weld them.

In my nubee/rookie stupidity, I set my MIG welder to it's lowest setting and tried to fill in the tank badge areas. Of course I promptly burned a hole through my tank (this is hard for me since I've never confessed to this act). I needed something to fill the hole that was fuel resistant. I used JB Weld and it has held up so far. I used a couple of applications of JB then sanded it down and skimmed it with body filler. After I was done an old guy with lots of wisdom told me it would shrink. I wasn't about to redo it so I left it alone. It's been 6 months now with no issues, but he's probably right and I'll probably have to redo it later.
                  1979 XS11 Special (slightly modified)
                  dubbed the "Mad Mosquito"

MikesXs Pod Filters
                  MikesXs 35k Coils
                  8mm plug wires
                  42.5 Pilots 142.5 Mains
                  (Carb tune by GNEPIG Performance)
                  Kerker 4-into-1
                  Shaved emblems
                  Progressive frt springs lowered 1.5"
                  Progressive 11.5" rear shocks
                  Harley Dyna rear fender chopped
                  Custm side mt tag (apparently illegal)
                  Custom Dual Headlights
                  Lots of time and hard work.

Comment

Mine have been filled with body filler since 82 From what the PO and the paperwork tells me. When I had it repainted the painter had no idea there was filler there until it got stripped.
                    I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

Hi Jessie,
                      your filler is no better than your prep. work. Sand the recess good, or has been posted already, sandblast the recess for the best adhesion. And leave that tapped strip in place, it'll act as a re-bar. First glob, body filler with glass strands in it. Finish with the lightweight stuff. I have 7 years life on a filled XS650 tank and 5 years on my filled (and severely dented) XS11 Special tank. There's no lifting on my filled areas and you can't see the edges either.
                      I bought $6 aftermarket peel'n'stick 3TF badges to dress up those tanks a little but I must confess, my newly acquired Standard tank has kept it's blocky stock badges.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Thanks for all the info, guys. While we're on the subject, what kind of decals do I need to get so I can clear coat over them.
                        '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

My instructions are exactly what a body shop will do. Use the base filler of your choice. If your prep work is good and follow my outline it will be perfect and last forever. I own a refinish shop and started refinishing 14 years ago.

Some good advice by others too. Just not thorough start to finish. You can sand blast or sand well with 80 grit. Clean with light acetone, reducer, thinner, not mineral spirits as it is oil base will leave a film. After prime use special dirt/grease remover purchased at possibly home depot( if you use epoxy 2k high build primer you can wipe with acetone). I use Sherwin Williams auto paint shops for chemical supply's and PPG paint. Duplicolor will do just fine. Layer color in 15 min intervals wiping with tack cloth in between. wait 24 hrs and buff.

Comment

There were 2 holes just above the tail light. The bolt that holds the tail light and another. I ground down the top, welded in place, ground down weld, and performed the posted procedure, base then clear. I still have to wet sand and buff. I did this out doors 2 days ago.

Comment

Working...
                            X