Seat comfort question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat comfort question

My tailbone seems to get quite sore after 100 miles or so and I'm sure some of you have the same issue.
    After looking around the web, I found this:

http://www.cyclestuffusa.com/index.a...D&ProdID=13636

Have any of you used the Airhawk before? What do you think about it? So far I have not read a bad review, but was wanting to hear from my fellow XSive's, before I make the purchase.
    1979XS100SF
    2007 Dyna wide glide
    Too many dodge trucks to list!

I haven't used it, but I took a long trip with a friend who claimed it provided the relief he needed. He went on to buy a Corbin seat, if that tells you anything.

I have a Sargent seat I'm pleased with, although me pillion riders are less than thrilled. I maintained the stock '80 Special shape.
    Marty (in Mississippi)
    XS1100SG
    XS650SK
    XS650SH
    XS650G
    XS6502F
    XS650E

Comment

I have one for the bike and I talked GM into buying them for the Fork trucks at work and use on there. Great product they do work a bit pricey and easily taken off by nefarious persons. You may find it easier to have a custom seat made locally. there is a woman in town here that will do custom seats for about 100 bucks, Recovers for 30.00
      I hate signatures. Too many cars and Bikes to list here.

Comment

My butt gets real sore on the stock seat. I am wondering about the saddlemen seat that Denniskirk have. Sure are cheap enough.

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...Id=&mmyId=4022
        http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Saddlemen

I have the Saddlemen seat on mine and I will admit that I took the covering off and reshapped the seat area for a custom fit to my butt and I really like it. py putting my feet in the forward pegs I can push back into the pocket and really get comfy. What I want now is a backrest for the front seat.
          You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
          Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
          Drilled airbox
          Tkat fork brace
          Hardly mufflers
          late model carbs
          Newer style fuses
          Oil pressure guage
          Custom security system
          Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

ive got a saddleman seat as well,
            i think it looked ugly on the naked bike
            so i cut and reshaped the foam and got it recovered,
            pretty comfortable.

pete

new owner of
            08 gen2 hayabusa

former owner
            1981 xs1100 RH (aus) (5N5)
            zrx carbs
            18mm float height
            145 main jets
            38 pilots
            slide needle shimmed .5mm washer
            fitted with v/stax and uni pod filters

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pA8dwxmAVA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/url]

Comment

johnboi71:

The "best' solution depends on the riding you do, or plan to do. If long-haul trips are in your future, say 400 - 600 miles a day, then spring for a custom seat. Cost can get high - my Diamond was in the $400.00 range - but is worth the price. My recent trip to Yosemite was about 2,435 miles with 2 days over 600 miles each and 2 more over 400 miles each. No problems with the bottom end.

For day trips, commuting, or other shorter-range riding then the alternatives are many, including sheepskin, replacment seat convers, beads, and other solutions. Cost is quite a bit less as well. Getting the stock seat modified (refoamed, recovered) is the medium price alternative, and adding pads or covers is the budget approach. Any of these will give you a more comfort; mostly a matter of budget and time.

Have not tiied th Airhawk, but feedback from other type of pads is they are more comfortable than stock, but lessen your sense of security in cornering, as they tend to squish or squirm under side loads. How much canyon-carving do you do?

Thias sounds like a good Poll idea: How many are using stock seats vs stock seats with pads/accessories vs modified seats vs custom seats?
              Jerry Fields
              '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
              '06 Concours
              My Galleries Page.
              My Blog Page.
              "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Dee and I put almost 400 miles on over the 4th. My old but suffered. I will check out the saddleman seat. I would have gladlly paid twice the asking price to have had some relief besides constant stopping to streach the old but!

Deny
                1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Gel Pads

Has anyone tried one of the gel pads?? I have seen them in rest homes, etc. They say the gel pad is the best yet for preventing bed sores. I always wanted to try one but they are about 300th on my list of Stuff to Get.
                  J.D."Jack" Smith
                  1980G&S "Halfbreed"
                  1978E straight job
                  "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

Re: Gel Pads

Originally posted by xs11jack
                    Has anyone tried one of the gel pads?? I have seen them in rest homes, etc. They say the gel pad is the best yet for preventing bed sores. I always wanted to try one but they are about 300th on my list of Stuff to Get.
                    Yep

http://www.xs11.com/forum/showthread...threadid=17378
                    "If A equals success, then the formula is: A = X + Y + Z. X is work. Y is play. Z is keep your mouth shut." - Albert Einstein

"Illegitimi non carborundum"-Joseph W. "Vinegar Joe" Stilwell

1980 LG
                    1981 LH

Comment

Originally posted by Dsxs11
                      I have one for the bike and I talked GM into buying them for the Fork trucks at work and use on there. Great product they do work a bit pricey and easily taken off by nefarious persons. You may find it easier to have a custom seat made locally. there is a woman in town here that will do custom seats for about 100 bucks, Recovers for 30.00
                      Do you have any contact information for the woman who did your seat? I have a few rips and would like to replace the foam as well with some better material.
                      1984 XJ1100 - 79 cams, XS850 FD, XS triple tree/euro cafe bars, hydraulic clutch, bar end mirrors, yamaha R1 rear mono-shock
                      1972 CL350 - clubmans, Mike's XS coils/condenser, '98 Yamaha R1 rearsets (If I can find some at a decent price)

Comment

Don't forget to add some AMB

1979 XS1100SF "Sakura Natsuhiboshi"

Comment

When I got my Honda Hawk in 1978 I rode it from Phoenix, AZ to Modesto, CA about 10 times (900 miles each way, I was young).
                          The first 2 times I had cruising pegs, sissy bar, and pull back handlebars. I'd strap my sleeping bag to the sissy bar and lean against that. All my weight was on my tailbone and I got severe saddle sores on my tailbone area this way.
                          I swapped to clip-ons and chucked the pegs and sissy bar. I was now leaning into the headwind. I moved my sleeping bag to the tank and I'd lay on that. My weight was now on the meaty part of my inner thighs. I was quite comfortable.
                          The downside is/was my neck. Holding up my head and helmet in that position (and in later years in an aero-tuck on my bicycle) I now have problems with my neck.

900 miles non-stop on a 400cc bike. Dosen't that qualify for an iron butt award? Maybe plastic-butt?
                          Pat Kelly
                          <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
                          1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
                          2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
                          1999 Suburban (The Ship)
                          1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
                          1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

Oh, I don't know Pat. My wife and I did Sterling, Colorado to LaCrosse, Wisconsin 2-up on a 1972 Honda 450 in 1977. (820 miles in 1 day.)

Got to the point where we hated to stop for gas, as we had to get off the bike and walk, which was painful. Stock seat, bars, footpegs, but did have a Montgomery Wards windshield...

Well, it did have a sissy bar that my wife could lean back on, and I could lean back on her from time to time. We had our camping gear on the luggage rack, 1 small tent and 2 sleeping bags, plus a few extra clothes. That trip is probably the reason my wife no longer goes with me to XS rallies!

Plastic butt....I like it!
                            Jerry Fields
                            '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
                            '06 Concours
                            My Galleries Page.
                            My Blog Page.
                            "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

While in the Navy and stationed at Valao Calif I would make weekend jaunts to Salt Lake City, Utah on a 71 750 Honda. Thats a little over 700 miles each way (funny what a young person will do to be with their girlfriend). Got dang tired but I don't remember much pain. Know it would kill me just to think about doing it today with a stock bike.

Deny
                              1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
                              1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Working...
                              X