New seat installed, fender, and pipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New seat installed, fender, and pipes

I just got done with my seat, rear fender, and pipes past couple days. Figured I'd share with every one.
    The seat was for a Dyna, pipes from a sportster, and tail off a soft tail. Chopped the rear frame and rebuild passenger support under the fender(what a pain in the Ars) No pun intended.
    I had to re shape the mold on the bottom of the seat and trim the edges of the foam pad because it swallowed the bike.
    So what do you guys think? I have to finish the fenders body work and paint. And put the saddle bags back on.
    The pipes are my custom 4-1-2 And added some bullet blinkers.

Looking good the pipes look good they follow the bikes lines well and the rear fender looks slick now the hard work is done lol enjoy

John
    79 XS1100SF 750 FD,Galfer Brake lines,ebc brake pads,Cross Drilled Rotors,TKat fork brace,bead blasted wheels repainted and polished
    80 XS1100 S Project gonna be a hot rod
    06 CBR1000RR sold!!!!!
    2000 Concours
    84 Kawi KLR600
    79 Yam XT500 Ouch it kicks back
    79 XR250
    Why is it that the smallest part can fly to the farthest part of the shop?
    John

Comment

Originally posted by Paintman
      Looking good the pipes look good they follow the bikes lines well and the rear fender looks slick now the hard work is done lol enjoy

John
      Thanks John,
      Those pipes where hard to get just right. I don't have a bender, so the bends are cuts welded and ground. Looks mandrel bent.
      From the rear angle it appears the pipes ends aren't parallel. Like they tweek out at the ends. So gotta tweek them back. They sound great. There not punched out.
      As I sit here and look, I see the ends of the seat could meet the fender/tank tighter.
      I have drag bars coming too. That should finish the look. The wind shield might go then. The flow of the lines are what I am trying to pay close attention too. And to make it look like it came that way tastefully.

Comment

Pipes look great .. are they custom?
        Bike look smart, clean and tidy!! .. I like clean and tidy :-)
        Rob
        KEEP THE RUBBER SIDE DOWN

1978 XS1100E Modified
        1978 XS500E
        1979 XS1100F Restored
        1980 XS1100 SG
        1981 Suzuki GS1100
        1983 Suzuki GS750S Katana
        1983 Honda CB900 Custom

Comment

I am not usually a custom fan but I would ride that. I like the way you really make the engine the focal point.
          http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

A little too Hardley-ish for my taste, but good execution on making it look just like a sportster. I had to look twice. A Hardley that's fast, huh...
            '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Hardly a Davidson

Hello DavesXS,
              I like what you've done to your bike. A couple o' things tho....After tweaking your pipes, perhaps you could bracket them together somehow on the inboard side so they stay parallel and then keep them from rejecting the custom pipe by adding a small stainless screw (also out of sight) thru each clamp, muffler, and pipe. Nice job thanks for posting picts.
              tdog
              '81 H

Comment

Good lookin

Nice, I'm a purest but I like it. Going to fool a lot of the unwashed brothern with that look untill they get close. Then again with 11 power that's not likly to happen very often. Good to see a fellow NCer in the mix
                wingnut
                81 SH (Daily Ride)
                81 650XJ (Brother in laws bike, Delivered)
                81 650XJ Jane Doe (Son's Ride)
                82 750XJ Project bike (Son in law's future ride)
                81 XS 400

No man has a natural right to commit aggression on the equal rights of another; and this is all from which the laws ought to restrain him.”

A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

WOW!

That's the fisrt custom XS11 that I've liked.

That custom's got style!

Paul
                  Paul
                  1983 XJ1100 Maxim
                  1979 XS1100 Standard
                  1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Re: Good lookin

I like it! Are you going to add some rear fender brackets?

Does my bike look too much like a Hurley?
                    http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Re: Re: Good lookin

Originally posted by Montreux_Blue
                      [B]I like it! Are you going to add some rear fender brackets?

Does my bike look too much like a Hurley?
                      No brackets. But I might eventually try another fender like in the pic that fits tight to the tire, and mount the tag on the side. But I'll have to modify the frame to drop the seat down to meet the fender.

Yours looks like a bobber with the seat and the short rear fender.
                      I like it. But not so much a fan of the tapered pipe on that exhaust. Too much like a megaphone.

edit: I'd feel like I was gonna slide right off yours at 65 on the hwy. Thats why I took off my bobber seat and got this one.
                      Last edited by DavesXS; 07-04-2008, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Good lookin

When I first rode it home, my hands hurt from holding on so tight. I felt like I was going to fly off! I have since recovered the seat and have gotten used to it. I kind of ride it like a horse and hold on more with my legs taking off, definitely not a long distance bike. What bike is your seat from?
                        http://www.myspace.com/i_give_you_power

1980 XS11 Special - chopped, dropped and OCTY is still installed - NOW IT'S FOR SALE! $1,800 OBO

Famous Myspace quote:

"Don't mess with TEXAS! It's not nice to pick on retards."

It's funny because I am from TEXAS!

Comment

Dude that thing ROCKS!!

Not much of a fan of the Hardley look but brother, you NAILED it. The customized pipes with the rear fender give that bike a Harley-Vmax cross type of look and its CLEAN. I love it.

I'd absolutely love a sound clip or video clip of the pipes to hear how they sound. While not a fan of Hardleys themselves, I like the sound of individual cylinders firing as they lobe off the cam. That "whomp-whomp" sound turns heads. Makes it sound BAAAAAAAD too. Nice job man. Hope to do some serious custom work on my own XS in the future when I get stable here, but I'd hafta find another XS to ride in the meantime, cuz theres no way I'd put my standard up long enough to do that type of work and NOT be able to ride.

Nice work man.
                          "Rat Rod"
                          79 XS1100 Standard
                          87 VMAX cans
                          Cheap Japanese Tires
                          Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
                          Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
                          Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

Seat: Harley Dyna diamond back seat.

The down time for seat/fender was 1.5 days. Pipes was half day. Each time I do something it has to be able to go back to riding condition fast. I am a year around rider so it will be hard to find time to do what I really want.( completely disasenble, polish every thing that can be polished, and paint every thing that can be painted) I love making old things look new again.

I'll get a sound clip as soon as I can.

Comment

And for the record:
                              I always said I'd never own a Harley.(still hold lots of respect for them)
                              But love there look and never said I wouldn't own one that looks like a Harley.
                              Later on I want a brand new bike. It'll be a V Star. Harley looking bikes with a big Ars Vtwin, and reliable and smooth as a balanced Japanese motor.
                              Then this one will get hopped up for drag.

Comment

Working...
                              X