Bike Week is over now what

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bike Week is over now what

A couple of weeks ago someone used my name in a brochure for a speaking engagement and obligated me to be in Florida this past week. I was really upset until I got to Daytona and realized it was Bike Week. I have never seen so many bikes in my life. It was like someone opened up Harley Davidson heaven or hell which ever you prefer and laid them all over the road. We couldn't move for the harley's in the way.

I looked all over for a classic section with XS 11s in it but no such luck. I didn't find any xsives there. Where was everyone?

deo
    82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
    Riding with the Son

I know where I was.... Shovelling snow.... You know that white stuff that Gary likest soooooo much!
    Tom
    2004 FJR1300abs 311,000 kilometers and counting
    gone,but not forgotten 1978 XS11E

Comment

Snow???? Let me see that is the stuff that falls every time I go on a trip and my wife has to shovel. We have had 48 inches of it this year, according to reports by the weather folks. It has become such a huge thing that my SWMBO has told me that we are going to buy a snowblower. Today it is 65 and sunny. I see no reason to buy one now, do you?

Has anyone ever been to Sturgis? Is it worth the trip from the east coast with bike on trailer? Or are bike pullers considered wimps by those who ride to the event?

deo
      82 XJ1100 "Resurrected"
      Riding with the Son

Comment

Has anyone ever been to Sturgis? Is it worth the trip from the east coast with bike on trailer? Or are bike pullers considered wimps by those who ride to the event?
        Sturgis is one of those events you should go to at least once. Still mostly harley-oriented, but more and more European and Japanese bikes are showing up. Many are trailered; Sturgis is a long way from anywhere.

The event has more of an image than the town, which is long past the glory days and, if you see it at almost any other time, you would not be particularly impressed. The main part of the show takes place in abut a 4 block long area of downtown. Most mechants literally close shop for a couple weeks, move out, and lease the space to vendors for the duration. The owners make more money from the show rental than they do from regular business the rest of the year.

If you go, you might want to take the time for a ride in the Black Hills and see Mt Rushmore. Some nice trips in the area.

Accomodations go fast, both hotel/motel and camping. You might want to check the Spearfish area f you can't find anything is Sturgis. Also a couple XSives in the area who might put you up.
        Jerry Fields
        '82 XJ 'Sojourn'
        '06 Concours
        My Galleries Page.
        My Blog Page.
        "... life is just a honky-tonk show." Cherry Poppin' Daddy Strut

Comment

Working...
        X