Knee Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knee Replacement

Well I had my right knee replaced on June 3 at Baylor Hospital in Dallas. I t had been bothering me for some time and I really need to be able to walk in my job. Having no cartilage sealed the deal. I have been rehabbing at home ever since the operation and am going stir crazy. John, I do not know how you delt with your recovery time for your back injury! I am looking forward to being good as new soon and want to get to tearing into my XJ1100 so I can ride it before I'm too old and broken down. Hope everyone is having a great summer.

You'll make it, I'm sure.

I had my lower left leg rebuilt to save it from amputation after being crushed and degloved back in '04. Both feet were crushed as well. They put a titanium rod in from the knee to ankle to replace what was left of the tibia. And now I've spent the last three days in the parking lot tearing down my bike for a head gasket replacement....which unfortunately is leading to going back in for a valve repair now that I have it all back together.

I'm not saying there's no pain by any means...but at least I can function. You should be up and going soon.

Good luck on your recovery.

Don
    currently own;
    1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
    2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

For what it is worth, I had a hip replaced 18 months ago. I had gotten to where I could hardly walk. I gave up hunting, and any thought of getting back on a bike 10 years ago. Recovery was a bitch - not so much due to pain as being stir crazy. It was worth it and more. Back on a bike, hikeing, walking - no pain. I am 58 and again doing stuff I haven't done since my early 40's.
      Wish you the same and More!

Deny
      1978 XS1100E - The TimeMachine
      1980 XS850 Special - Little Mo

Comment

Thanks guys. I just turned 65 and only took up riding in my 50s, so I want to do a lot before I get too old.

Comment

Here's to a speedy recovery!

It just goes to show you they don't fix stuff any more they just replace it.

Hahaha!

Paul

Paul
          1983 XJ1100 Maxim
          1979 XS1100 Standard
          1980 XS1100 Special

I'm not a motorcycle mechanic but I play one on the internet.

Comment

Patiences is the key to recovery

If you have patience, you can get anything done. If your doc gives you pain meds, grab them and do what ever they will let you. When fully recovered, you will be estactic at what you can do now. It is well worth the pain and effort!
            DJinNH, I have this burning question I just have to ask: If you put one of the super magnets on your bike for traffic lights, do you have trouble getting your leg away from the bike frame to put down the kickstand??????? Yea, I know, I am kind of left of center now and then, but my wife makes me take my meds and I am ok for a little while. Actually it all started in grade school, when I discovered I was Left handed. It was down hill from there.
            J.D."Jack" Smith
            1980G&S "Halfbreed"
            1978E straight job
            "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

I don't know if titanium is magnetic or not. I hear that when you fly you might as well have your luggage personalized with "Osama" and declare that you are smuggling state secrets since they are going to pull you over and search you with some intensity anyway. The little card that they give you to explain things is not taken seriously by anyone but you.

Comment

Best wishes for a speedy recovery

John kept from going overly stir crazy by putting his bike back together... or supervising the putting back together of his bike in some instances...

So far, the titanium rod in his back hasn't set off any detectors at the airport... I don't believe it is highly magnetic either.... I'll have to try sticking a magnet to his back later...

Hmmmmm... new and improved ways of hanging "Kick Me" signs...

I hope all continues to go well in your recovery...
                81 SH Something Special
                81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                80 LG Black Magic
                78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                For those on FB

Comment

My pin

I have a titanium rod inside my right femor and it doesn't set off any airport sensors. No one knows it's there but me.
                  You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                  Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                  Drilled airbox
                  Tkat fork brace
                  Hardly mufflers
                  late model carbs
                  Newer style fuses
                  Oil pressure guage
                  Custom security system
                  Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

This is one thread I do not want to see any pics on!
                    1981 XS1100SH

Comment

Re: My pin

Originally posted by planedick
                      I have a titanium rod inside my right femor and it doesn't set off any airport sensors. No one knows it's there but me.
                      Walking through the gate like metal detector has no effect but when they use those wands, it set them off. I just show them all the skin grafts on the back of my leg and they wave me along.

Don

this photo makes my leg look gigantic but it's normal. You can see more skin grafts on the upper calf...look for the chicken skin design.

Last edited by DJinNH; 06-23-2008, 08:56 AM.
                      currently own;
                      1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
                      2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

Working...
                      X