Frustrated!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frustrated!!!

First of all, I am sorry. I just needed somewhere to vent. I am a rather new rider on my XS11. I have ridden it a total of 4 days since I bought it in November. It is not the weather, mind you, but the constant stream of problems I have had so far, combined with the limited availability of parts and/or service where I live has slowed me down to a stop. I live in perhaps one of the nicest places in America to ride (weatherwise). We have year-round temperatures that range from 65 to 95. (Didn't mean to rub that in to all of you who live in areas of the world with seasons.) We get nearly no rainy days because I live in an area with low land mass (too much Discovery channel). But all of this accounts to about only 5-10 days out of the year where I would not ride. All of this, combined with the fact that Daytona has been rainy for bike week has frustrated me. They all came to my area of Florida!! Every parking lot from my house to work (including work) is full of motorcycles this week. There is almost a constant drone of motorcycles passing night and day right now. It is literally killing me!! I should be out there!! Riding with them, showing up the Harleys and others. But here I am, getting ready to get in my cage, and be jealous of all the bikes on the road today. By the way, it was 89 degrees here today, and not a cloud in sight for the last two weeks. If anyone made it this far in to my rant, thanks for listening. Have a nice day!! Sorry again for the frustration!! RB

That IS frustrating. When I was getting my XS11 road-ready, I picked up another, smaller bike to ride in the meantime. Takes the pressure off the XS11 project. Keep your eyes peeled. Old 750s (and many other sizes) often sell cheap and still give a decent ride, especially for town riding. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

Bill K.
    1985 Yamaha XJ700 Maxim
    1986 Yamaha FZX700 Fazer

Comment

Originally posted by Bill
      That IS frustrating. When I was getting my XS11 road-ready, I picked up another, smaller bike to ride in the meantime. Takes the pressure off the XS11 project. Keep your eyes peeled. Old 750s (and many other sizes) often sell cheap and still give a decent ride, especially for town riding. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!

--------------------------------you'll get it runnin soon and have a great ride, one of my best rememberances, to ride from largo to key west,
      all those bridges, i love bridges, have fun soon.

buzz

Comment

Maybe you should have an open house for XS11 mechanics until you get it running. I bet with beautiful skies and temps and a little beer you could get some great help.

By the way, what is wrong with it?
        Bill Murrin
        Nashville, TN
        1981 XS1100SH "Kick in the Ass"
        1981 XS650SH "Numb in the Ass"
        2005 DL1000 V-Strom "WOW"
        2005 FJR1300 Newest ride
        1993 ST1100 "For Sale $2,700" (Sold)
        2005 Ninja 250 For Sale $2,000 1100 miles

Comment

That's tough RB. I've just started mine up today for the first time since I put her into hybernation last September. After a battery charge, she started first time bless her.
          As with the weather, anytime you feel like you want to swap, you just holler. Drizzling rain and 54 degrees aint nothing to shout about.

Cheers,
          If you can't afford it....finance it!!

Comment

Howdy RB,
            You wrote....
            "the constant stream of problems I have had so far, combined with the limited availability of parts and/or service" .....snip.....

I am pursuing the same carrot you are......lol? I have been attempting to restore my XS11E to roadworthy, dependable condition for sometime now.
            Where I live up in the "Great PNW!" it seem to rain to some degree ALL the time to some degree..... I want to be ready when it does dry up!

Yeh, I have had my periods of whining retrospect too,
            (a loud shouting MOAN, alone with my scoot.... in a closed garage) "AM I EVER GONNA GET TO RIDE IT AGAIN!?!?".

It seems that I never am able to reach a point where I can just get on and ride without having to fix or replace sumpthin'........! Even my Bronco runs better!

But.....y'gotta keep on, keepin' on! It will be worth it.....!

I remind myself of this daily. Just as Mel Fisher, with his mantra of, "Today's the day!".

From what you did mention, I understand yer scoot runs, so what IS the problem/s??

Make a check list of your problems, or needs.

Prioritize it/them.....

The people on this list, XS11.com are very knowledgeable, and helpful.

Expand your help requests further, if necessary, and check out the AllXS11s with yahoo groups too. There is more XS-XJ11 resource available "out-there" than you may realize......

So if ya need help, or parts, be specific......
            Red Tarrents
            XS1100E "Big Red"
            IOOB #792669
            "Don't let the Bastards grind ya down!"

Comment

Heck, as far as my problems go----here's the list so far:
              Carbs gunked up-fixed (2 weeks of cleaning parts......)
              petcocks leaking-fixed
              rotted gas line-replaced
              bent valves-replaced & full head rebuild
              idle off-fixed
              front brakes locked-replaced m/c lines and rebuilt calipers many times
              rear tire-replaced
              no glass in muffler-replaced
              broken exhaust baffle-waiting on parts
              locked final drive-waiting on parts

What all this amounts to is about 4 days of riding to/from work (4 miles), and 4 months of blood, sweat and tears (literally). I know most of these are normal problems, but this project has been nything but. I will let you all know my progress. Thanks for listening!! RB

P.S. Any XS11 mechanics who do show up......beer will be on me....for the first day at least.....

Comment

"When going through Hell, Keep going", Winston Churchill (I think)
                DZ
                Vyger, 'F'
                "The Special", 'SF'
                '08 FJR1300

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Red Tarrents
                  [B]Howdy RB,
                  You wrote....
                  "Yeh, I have had my periods of whining retrospect too,
                  (a loud shouting MOAN, alone with my scoot.... in a closed garage) "AM I EVER GONNA GET TO RIDE IT AGAIN!?!?".

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
                  At least you have a garage to work in ... I have been subject to the weather to get my work done. And well Weather hasn't cooperated very much this year so far. I am seriously considering bringing the bike in the living room. I metioned this to my girlfriend and well to make a long story short ...... "Over my dead body"....... I'll sure miss her......
                  wpc57

'81LH Midnight Special "Margret"

I ain't as good as I once was..but I am as good once as I ever was.... (Toby Keith)

Comment

figures

here I am with not one,but three great running XS's!BUT...I live in northern Ontario,Canada with five feet of snow on the ground and -22 temps!Dspshemp,if I lived closer to you I'd fix your bike for cost of parts.(love working on XS's,they're so wrench friendly!)I also just purchased a Venture Royale for touring, but I still love the XS.Anyone looking for a full dress XS in the area,I have one for sale ,complete with a 1196 kit and the rest of the goods...have pics

Comment

Working...
                    X