broke down.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broke down.

ok. heres my problem.... broke down, thaught I seized my motor, due to piston rings ect ect. and when I got the bike to a safe location I checked the oil. I had an oil leak but I didnt think it was that bad, apparently I was wrong, becuase when I checked it, it was bone dry. went along with clymer book instructions. took off carbs, took off cam cover, removed cam sprockets and chain guide, removed cam chain, then removed head. cylinder walls are not scored, the only thing is, there is excessive carbon buildup on the tops of the pistons. then to instructions were to turn the timing plate so that the "T" is aligned with the stationary pointer. the problem was that I cant turn the timing plate to move the pistons at all. any suggestions on what to do next? or what the problem might be?

PLEASE HELP! Im desperate.

thanks,
    Aaron.
    1978 XS1100E 81' motor
    ratted out piece of lightnin. yeah.!

Siezed bearings

Unfortunately, you have probably destroyed the crank and most, if not all of the rod bearings are siezed to the crank and you would be best to just find a new/used motor.

PS You shouldn't ride with leaks. Gotta fix 'em.
    You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
    Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
    Drilled airbox
    Tkat fork brace
    Hardly mufflers
    late model carbs
    Newer style fuses
    Oil pressure guage
    Custom security system
    Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

Aaron, Dick is right. The engine is now cold and still won't turn it is toast.
      http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

You can verify the bad crank. Remove the clutch cover, remove the clutch plates, and THEN try to turn the crank. If it will now turn, the transmission is bad. If it still won't turn, See planedick's comment.
        Ray Matteis
        KE6NHG
        XS1100 E '78 (winter project)
        XS1100 SF Bob Jones worked on it!

Comment

I've never done it with one of these, but I have seized up mowers before... and used them for years afterwards.

What you may try, and my suggestion will probably ruin the rotor which is easy to replace... is to pour some oil down on top of the pistons and let it sit. After a day or so, you can use a big pipe wrench on the rotor to try to get it loose by prying back and forth on it. You are going to need to get onto something more substantial than the timing plate "Bolt". You could try it on the rotor bolt first, but I doubt you'll get the leverage you need. There's a chance that only one of the inner cylinders (Since they usually get hottest) rings have seized to the walls. The bearings may have been getting a splash every now and then and be OK.

If you get the pistons to move, check for scarring on the walls. A slight hone may get it out if it's minor and you could possibly still use the motor.

Not trying to get your hopes up.. but I hate to automatically toss a motor.

If the lower bearings are gone, you may have ruined the head's cams and cam bearings also. Check that with some plastigauge before re-use.

Sorry to hear about all this. It's a reminder for all of us at your expense... check the oil. It only takes a second to look at that sight glass.

Tod
          Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
          '06 Suzuki DR650
          *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
          '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
          '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
          '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
          '81 XS1100 Special
          '81 YZ250
          '80 XS850 Special
          '80 XR100
          *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

yeah I checked the clymer and it said to get on the timing plate with a 19mm and it is actually a 20mm or a 21mm but there is no room to get leverage. so I will try to turn on the crank. if I do infact need to get a new motor does anyone know of anyone in my area to get a used motor?
            1978 XS1100E 81' motor

Comment

These things tend to be like boats and motors. You can buy a whole boat with a motor cheaper than you can buy just a motor. You may be better off finding another whole parts bike.

Good luck.

Tod

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
              '06 Suzuki DR650
              '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
              '81 XS1100 Special
              '81 YZ250
              '80 XS850 Special
              '80 XR100

Comment

ok Im new to xs'. what year xs motors will fit my bike? with no fab needed?
                1978 XS1100E 81' motor

Comment

Any of the years will fit. The ' 82XJ has the YICS system on the back of the head and cylinders, but would still work. You'd just use your elecrical stuff with it... unless the stuff that comes with it is better!

Tod

Current bikes:
                  '06 Suzuki DR650
                  '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                  '81 XS1100 Special
                  '81 YZ250
                  '80 XS850 Special
                  '80 XR100

Comment

Hey Bobber,

Sorry to hear of your engine woes. You've got the 78E, saw it in your profile, but would be best to put it in your signature for future inquiries...tips and suggestions are often model/year specific.

The 78 has the 2H7 TCI/Black Ignition box, and uses both cent. and vac. advance modules...mechanical.

The 81 model uses a different 4Ro TCI and dropped the cent. adv. parts from the timing parts, and the 82 XJ uses a 10M TCI, and uses a different vac. sensor, and also no mech. cent. adv.

SO.....IF you find an 81, you can either swap the mechanical ignition parts from your 78E onto the 81 engine so you can use the 78's TCI, OR....IF you get a working 81TCI, you can plug it into your machine's harness. But it gets tricky because the 81 doesn't have/use the ballast resistor for the ignition coils. I'd need to review the wiring diagrams to see what if any mods would be needed to be able to use the 81 TCI.

Good Luck. T.C.
                    T. C. Gresham
                    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
                    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
                    History shows again and again,
                    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

Hi TC,

Ballast terminals are male/female, so the resistor can be left out and the two wires from the loom simply plug together.

A better solution would be to strip out the entire ballast circuit, but most of the bikes running aftermarket coils just use the bypass.

AlanB
                      If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

hey thanks every body for all your advice, not that it all makes sense but Im learning as I go and hoping I dont destroy my bike more than it already is. Im thinking the crank is destroyed after all, so if anyone knows of a very inexspensive crank for sale let me know. anyways thanks again.

Aaron.
                        1978 XS1100E 81' motor

Comment

I have an 81 standard i'm parting out. The engine is good but 1st, and 2nd gear is slipping. SHipping a motor costs a ton, but since your in middle TN, and I live just south of Memphis we may be able to meet in the middle. Let me know if your interested.

Comment

Working...
                          X