Bitten by the bug.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bitten by the bug.

Ok, i've been at this for about 5 years. Over the course of those 5 years, i keep getting great deals on bikes. The problem is that none of them are done, and I don't have the heart to get rid of any of them! I find myself losing sleep a few nights wondering what i can do to which bike, and what I can make to put on the bike. Tell me i'm not alone...

1- 1982 yamaha xj750 seca. currently being chopped and bobbed. sweet little project.

2. 1972 suzuki gt750 "water buffalo". Two stroke three cyllinder water cooled and oil injected. Hasn't ran since I got it, but always wanted to hear what it sounds like.

3. 1979 yamaha xs1100. Yeah- we all know what problems this has...

and lastly- the newest addition to the line-up.

4. 1969 Honda CB450 twin. Sure sounds great with harley mufflers! Gonna be a "cafe racer" when I get done with it... The only comfortable sitting position is on the passenger seat!

The honda is currently the only bike that runs right now- and boy does it run! (for a 450)

So what kind of projects are floating around here? Anyone got any spare parts or websites?

Still working little bugs out of my 1100SG and have sort of put my 1100SH on hold so I can enjoy riding the first bike. I got the SH included with the SG as a parts bike but there was no way I was going to end the life of another 1100 Special.

Don
    currently own;
    1980 Yamaha XS1100 SG
    2009 Yamaha Star Raider

Comment

What started so innocently...

I started last year with the 79 F that was a rat, but ran. It needed so many little things that a parts bike was necessary.
      This spring found a 'parts' bike-won't run-that is too nice to part.
      Parted the 79 to the 'parts' bike, and saved everything I didn't need now. At least this way they both will live on for a really long time.
      Now I am looking into other, smaller bikes to play with. The XS is my one and only, always will be. But my working on it has created so much interest(It is down where I work. We have over a hundred students coming and going at one time)that I really want to try to resurrect more of the old bikes. I think their time has come again.
      Not to mention the fact that I have had a ball learning and tinkering with the bike. Once my G is done, I won't have that much to do except polish and maintain it. I'm going to need to find another project(one that will leave home when done-Yeah, right. That'll happen. Well, that's what I'll tell HWMBO... .
      Sounds like you have a nice little 'stable' going there, with more to follow, I'm sure. You'd sure never find a HD guy with this addiction-not unless they have a 7-figure salary to go with it. And they certainly wouldn't work on them themselves!!-
      Yep, it's addictive, but what a way to go!!
      You mentioned Cafe Racers-Search:
      TonUp Club; cb750cafe; caferacer.com; Royal Enfield; AceCafe; etc. There are alot of them, but those are the best. YouTube has one video where you could get 100 ideas for what you want-type in 'rockabillyday' all one word. It's an 8 minute video with a ton of cafe bikes, all makes and models.
      80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
      79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

Seems to me I might have a project or two sitting around here somewhere... My signature might attest to that.

It does not list the 1978 Honda CB750 F3 I picked up a couple weeks ago. That one is still waiting.

My soonest to be completed in the K0 Honda 750. As soon as a part gets here it will be assembled and ready for the open road. My usual daily ride right now is the '87 Shadow VT1100 I picked up last winter. I'd say I got it for a song, but the guy didn't want to hear me sing. Just wanted to hear me disappear in the distance with the bike he couldn't make run in the back of my truck.

SWMBO likes my hobby. It keeps me out of the house and out of her hair...

Patrick
        The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
        1969 Yamaha DT1B
        Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

After I get my things together and get a place with a garage here in Lawrenceville, I'm going to have to start bringing in some twins so my kids can learn to ride. I have 3 now that are riding age and 2 more following closely behind. I know a member of this site here in Suwanee is going to part with his 650special as soon as his 1100 is up and running as a daily driver. I can see it now...it wont be long before my sig is listing a ton of non-running projects or partially running headaches. I CANT WAIT!!!
          "Rat Rod"
          79 XS1100 Standard
          87 VMAX cans
          Cheap Japanese Tires
          Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
          Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
          Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

Comment

Haha... I AM NOT THE ONLY ONE!!!

this makes me feel better. At least a couple of you have too many projects lying around.... or a want for project bikes BUT- I bet you don't also have a:

1978 Camaro Z-28 project
            1966 Thunderbird project
            1984 Fiero project
            1984 Trans am project
            2002 Z06 corvette Daily driver
            2002 Silverado 2500HD Daily Driver

I look like the redneck of eastpointe. three cars and 3 motorcycles in the garage at all times, and 3 more cars in the driveway. I've got a big garage... and a long driveway... oh, and the woman has a little pontiac G5 and a vt700 shadow.

It's time to get rid of some cars to get more room for bikes!!!

I wonder if they make a pill for what I have...

Thanks for the info on the cafe racers... I'll post pics as soon as I decide what i'm doing with the honda 450 twin. And Hammerhead1st- I might be done with the 450 honda by next year if you wanna take it off my hands to teach your kids on. I'll have the 750 yamaha done by than.

The woman doesn't like my projects so much... probably because I get bored with one, and go BUY another! lol. So consider yourself lucky, succubus

Anyone wanna buy a car? seriously...

Comment

Working...
            X