Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1000 mile iron-butt completed...

So...
    I packed it up with everything it could carry, filled the gas tank and pointed it south.

then I stopped and set the GPS.

Taking only back roads, I made my way through Pa and W Va before I got sick of that and hit the slab for the remaining 500 miles or so. Spent Saturday night in a truck stop parking lot in W. Va. slept fitfully for 4 hours, and when I went in to grab a cup of morning coffee, the lady at the counter just grinned and asked if it was me sleeping on the bike and...how the heck did do it without falling off?

one break-down in some tiny PA town across the river from W. Va. That was when I discovered out of the 45lbs of tools I packed, I hadnt put my allen wrenches in there. Turns out my charging wire from the alternator was grounding out on the case and kept my battery from being maintained at all. Some nice redneck with a mullet gave me a set of wrenches for the ride and I was on my way again.

If you EVER get a chance to ride US119 through w. Va., my friend you'd better do it! I literally wore out a set of brakes on that road. So, the ride went well, the bike was awesome, I found internet access at wendy's in Lilburn, and I'll be in my motel room Thursday. My butt hurts but it's a "good" hurt. 955 miles behind me my Rat Rod. If I forgot anything up there in NY...mail it to me.

It took about 50 gallons of gas to get here. Maybe a bit more. Averaging 80+ on the slab all the way from W.Va. to here hurt my mileage a bit but kept my face in the wind...
    "Rat Rod"
    79 XS1100 Standard
    87 VMAX cans
    Cheap Japanese Tires
    Cobalt Blue Rattle Can Paint
    Custom Lighting on a Budget

Perry Center Fire Department
    Perry Emergency Ambulance

"If we don't do it, who will?"

Some people have one of those days, I have one of those lives...

That is 20 MPG not too good. I am glad that the bike worked ok. Can be a real bummer to have a major problem on the road.
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Congrats. I plan on doing the IBA 1000 in 1 this thursday. Think it's cool doing this on a 30 year old bike
      78E ... Gone but not forgotten
      2006 Kawasaki Concours....just getting to know it

Comment

1000 mile IBA

Well, my seat wasn't really that comfy and I stopped every 50 miles or so to stretch and get a drink and maybe have a smoke. I averaged a gas stop every 145 miles. At 6 gallons per stop (it was on fumes every time) I guessed 50 gallons. Must be closer to 40 tho. I forgot that I topped off when I hit town.

The ride was awesome. I'd do it again in about a year or so. with a gel seat. And highway pegs.

I just cant wait to start meeting other XSives from the area.
        "Rat Rod"
        79 XS1100 Standard
        87 VMAX cans
        Cheap Japanese Tires

Comment

Congrats...

It is really too cool to do it on an old bike!
          Shiny side up,
          650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
          XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

It was cool anyways, but on an old bke it was better. I LOVED cruising, not speeding, taking in the sights on the way down. Just wish I could've shared that with someone.Riding alone SUCKS
            "Rat Rod"
            79 XS1100 Standard
            87 VMAX cans
            Cheap Japanese Tires

Comment

Riding alone SUCKS

NOT AT ALL

Group rides be cool ever year or three...
              Once in a while will go somewhere with another rider but just enjoy being out and about by myself.

Would like to cruse PA and Virgina sometime. Only got to pass thru the one time was there.

mater o fact....
              going out to the garage right now, change the plugs on my SF and go for a ride (rode only 110 miles so far today anyway)

mro

Comment

I like riding alone, I like riding with people, I guess I like to ride.
                http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1241/1480921818_241eade448_s.jpg

Comment

Bedtime here for me. I've done lots of miles over the past few days. School orientation starts tomorrow. I'll get some afternoon riding in after that and explore my new home.
                  "Rat Rod"
                  79 XS1100 Standard
                  87 VMAX cans
                  Cheap Japanese Tires

Comment

Riding alone SUCKS
                    This last weekend at the Bob Jones Memorial rally was great! All those old bikes and friends around. By Sunday morning, everybody had peeled off, headed to their own tiny places on the planet, and I rode back home by myself. I sat and truly realized that I just love riding this bike.... alone, with people... doesn't matter. Both have their good points, but the MAIN point is that I'm out there riding... not working!

Tod
                    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
                    '06 Suzuki DR650
                    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
                    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
                    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
                    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
                    '81 XS1100 Special
                    '81 YZ250
                    '80 XS850 Special
                    '80 XR100
                    *Crashed/Totalled, still own