Leading front axel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leading front axel

Ok now...I have an'80 special with a leading front axel....
    Does any one know if there is much difference between the leading front axel and the standard so far as handling goes? Just an off the wall question that poped into my head:-) I like the way it looks but that may have been the engineers thought all along to sell more bikes and give it a bit more of a cruiser look.
    '80 XS1100 SG
    Don't let the good times pass you by..grab all you can
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_Z4cjUlIo4

The steering geometry (rake and trail) are the same between the standards and specials. The steering (theoreticlly) should feel the same.
    Yamaha designed the forks for the specials so they would look longer (Harleyesque).
    IMHO the standard forks are better in the brake caliper department.
    Pat Kelly
    <p-lkelly@sbcglobal.net>

1978 XS1100E (The Force)
    1980 XS1100LG (The Dark Side)
    2007 Dodge Ram 2500 quad-cab long-bed (Wifes ride)
    1999 Suburban (The Ship)
    1994 Dodge Spirit (Son #1)
    1968 F100 (Valentine)

"No one is totally useless. They can always be used as a bad example"

Comment

forks

IMHO, I think the Special forks are better designed. They use a 2 slider bushing set-up per fork as opposed to the standard's 1. They seem to be better over bumps.
      2H7 (79)
      3H3

"If it ain't broke, modify it"

Comment

forks

the special have a design advantage and they sure seem better when you ride them i was going to put a special on my standard but then i got a fj1100 fork.
        bill
        bill hane

Comment

??

I think I missed something here, can XJ forks be used on a XS frame?? Are they a noticable improvement???
          J.D."Jack" Smith
          1980G&S "Halfbreed"
          1978E straight job
          "We the people are the rightful masters of both congress and the courts, not to overthrow the constitution, but to overthrow the men who pervert the constitution." Abraham Lincoln

Life is like a coin, you can choose to spend it any way you wish, but you can only spend it once. Make your choices wisely.

Comment

forks

they would have to be better i did the valving mods new springs and i drove my fiends special sun and it was better than
            mine even after all that work.

bill

ps i have black xj fork complete brakes everything except the wheel sell it cheap

i'm putting on fj1100 fork
            bill hane

Comment

Working...
            X