Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Y'all gonna make fun of me if I show on a Shadow?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Y'all gonna make fun of me if I show on a Shadow?

To the the Meeting of the XS Minds, I mean. Now, bear in mind, I was a newspaper reporter for 12 years and I've been married for almost 30, so there's nothing you can call me that I haven't been called. No threat you can make that hasn't been made. And it wouldn't be the first gun pointed at me. And that's just from being married.

I'm just afraid, however, that insults would be met with my fatal wit. My wife says, in fact, that I am so full of wit that she's surprised I don't choke on it. At least I think that's what she said.

I was surrounded by a group of bikers recently who insulted my Shadow. Asked if it was my ole ladies bike. I hit them with my rapier wit and left them curled in fetal positions, crying in the parking lot. Course, they were Hardley riders, so they weren't emotionally stable to begin with.

Been riding Succubus lately, but I'm afraid I just don't trust the old girl on a 400 mile round trip yet....

Patrick
    The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
    1969 Yamaha DT1B
    Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Y'all gonna make fun of me if I show on a Shadow?
    Yup.... but not as bad as if it's a Honda CAR!

I believe you incorrectly heard someone. I don't believe they yelled at you and said you were "Full of WIT!!"

Tod
    Try your hardest to be the kind of person your dog thinks you are.

You can live to be 100, as long as you give up everything that would make you want to live to be 100!

Current bikes:
    '06 Suzuki DR650
    *'82 XJ1100 with the 1179 kit. "Mad Maxim"
    '82 XJ1100 Completely stock fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Bagger fixer-upper
    '82 XJ1100 Motor/frame and lots of boxes of parts
    '82 XJ1100 Parts bike
    '81 XS1100 Special
    '81 YZ250
    '80 XS850 Special
    '80 XR100
    *Crashed/Totalled, still own

Comment

They always liked to call my Shadow a Harley 'wannabe'.

My comeback was always " You bet, it's what Harely wants to be...)

I would then walk away mumbling, something about '..more power, more torque, faster, quicker, more reliable. Yep, I really want your piece of crap...'

My Shadow appeared on the front cover of at least 2 harley magazines, and on TV broadcasts, so I figured they must have liked it.
      Nice day, if it doesn't rain...

'05 ST1300
      '83 502/502 Monte Carlo for sale/trade

Comment

Hi Patrick,
        you can so take your XS11F to the MoM despite the machine's suspect reliability.
        Hard as it may be for your mighty intellect to grasp, you CAN learn something from your Harley buddies. Do what they do.
        Trail the bike to within a few miles of the destination. Park & hide whatever rig the bike was towed on. Spray the bike and yourself with Genuine H-D aerosol road-crud-in-a-can (contains 20% genuine insect parts!) and ride the bike to the meeting.
        Fred Hill, S'toon
        XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
        "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

See?

Fred has it all figured out for you, Patrick...

As long as you get here... it's all good...

You could be riding a Schwinn... and we won't make fun of you nearly as much as we would if you were driving a car... Not that we would have ever made fun of someone in a car...

Looking forward to seeing you again!
          81 SH Something Special
          81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
          81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
          80 LG Black Magic
          78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
          For those on FB

Comment

We, as a group, will always take every opportunity to belittle anyone every chance we get. We have had members show up on and in Hondas. As a covert action, you can show on your Shadow dressed in drag. Be advised that Wildcat has the concession on wearing spiked heeled boots while riding. You might want to consider an outfit that includes spandex and a tube top. Whilst this may not may the safest riding attire, it would be a sure bet you would get some attention. And please remember, we are a very visual group, so pictures are a must.
            When a 10 isn't enough, get a 11. 80g Hardbagger

Comment

Reliability?

I can't imagine an XS11 being unreliable. Besides a 400 mi trip is just getting warmed up, not even a day's ride. I would feel comfortable riding either XS I've owned to the opposite coast and back without problems. If you're that afraid of yours, I have a '79 standard full bagger you could have for around $1000. Ready to ride, mechanically perfect, tranny fix done, fuse mod, etc. It only needs polish and paint. You could ride this one for months without problems. You could pick it up here and ride it to Texas without worry.
              You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
              Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
              Drilled airbox
              Tkat fork brace
              Hardly mufflers
              late model carbs
              Newer style fuses
              Oil pressure guage
              Custom security system
              Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

"I have a '79 standard full bagger you could have for around $1000. "

Hi Planedick,
                do you deliver? If I had a grand to spare and if you showed up at my place in Saskatoon with that '79 the $1,000 would just about pay for your plane-fare home.
                Fred Hill, S'toon
                XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Nice ride to Saskatoon...

I would love to deliver, but it would cost you a little more than plane fare home. I figure it would cost about $400 worth of gas, another $500 for housing and food, plus the airfare. Still not a bad price for an XS11..... But, if the gas prices still are going up??? Of course you could fly our here and ride it home...
                  You can't stay young forever, but you can be immature for the rest of your life...

'78E "Pathfinder" Show bike...
                  Lovingly restored by Dave Delzell
                  Drilled airbox
                  Tkat fork brace
                  Hardly mufflers
                  late model carbs
                  Newer style fuses
                  Oil pressure guage
                  Custom security system
                  Stainless braid brake lines

Comment

400 mi? In '06 we rode 600 mi ONE WAY to XSEast in West Virginia. GNEPIG rode his (IIRC) 1300 mi! Last weekend we rode 400 mi just during the rally!

Realize, that you are riding into a den of XS-ively knowledgeable XS-ives. Even if you wind up limping in, they'll have enough wrenchers on hand to have her purring in no time!

Comment

Re: Y'all gonna make fun of me if I show on a Shadow?

Originally posted by Succubus
                      To the the Meeting of the XS Minds, I mean. Now, bear in mind, I was a newspaper reporter for 12 years and I've been married for almost 30, so there's nothing you can call me that I haven't been called. No threat you can make that hasn't been made. And it wouldn't be the first gun pointed at me. And that's just from being married.

I'm just afraid, however, that insults would be met with my fatal wit. My wife says, in fact, that I am so full of wit that she's surprised I don't choke on it. At least I think that's what she said.

I was surrounded by a group of bikers recently who insulted my Shadow. Asked if it was my ole ladies bike. I hit them with my rapier wit and left them curled in fetal positions, crying in the parking lot. Course, they were Hardley riders, so they weren't emotionally stable to begin with.

Been riding Succubus lately, but I'm afraid I just don't trust the old girl on a 400 mile round trip yet....

Patrick
                      I showed up at the XSEast rally on my Honda ST1100.I was not the only non-Yamaha there so I did not catch any grief over it.There were H-D's,Hondas,KTM.Triumphs and Kawasakis so it was an eclectic mix.The most important thing is that you ride.After seeing all the really cool vintage Yamahas...I was a little sorry i didn't have either one of my Yammies up to speed ...next year I'll be on the "81 Special...and Gary...you wont be passing me 'cuz my bike wasn't a Yamaha, and that the Yamahas should be leading the pack...
                      1980 XS650G Special-Two
                      1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

Only Kat gets to wear spike heels? Damn, now I need to buy new boots... It's just one thing after another thing.....

Patrick
                        The glorious rays of the rising sun exist only to create shadows in which doom may hide.

XS11F (Incubus, daily rider)
                        1969 Yamaha DT1B
                        Five other bikes whose names do not begin with "Y"

Comment

Den of XSive Gurus

Half a den is coming from Austin anyway.... just hook up with a few and ride in a group. keep lookin

Dave, Skippy etc etc
                          Mark A. Guthrie TSgt USAF (ret)
                          S&M Comp. Serv. Inc. V.P.
                          1981 XS11SH XCaliber

Comment

Working...
                          X