New Criteria for XS Gurus??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's what I love about this site...

It has all degenerated into a fun banter of semantics because it's not dealing with mechanical stuff. Whenever a post is not related to real mech issues no one misses the oppprtunity to jump in and make it fun, whatever your perspective.
    I do appreciate those who chime in right away when someone posts a question and have real concerns and needs to get their bikes running, as well as those who do not miss a beat in getting their snide remarks in.
    We all have our personalities and they come through as we express ourselves, and that's what makes this forum absolutely great.
    And WildKat, YESSSS we do need our den mother to helps us keep it somewhat civil at times.
    Ray, that's exactly where I am coming from, some folks don't put up a lot of posts but are willing to physically come to your aid and are of more help to those mechanically impaired than a million posts. Just because some don't know the difference between the box and the open end of a wrench and they need the handholding!! Yet, be that as it may....
    In the last three weeks I've cleaned two sets of carbs in less that three hours each. Had it not been for a true XSessive who came to teach me I may still be posting for help. Now I feel I can do this with ONE eye closed and the other hand hoding one of those green bottles with the red star!!!
    Thanks All
    1980G Standard, Restored
    Kerker 4 - 1
    850 Rear End Mod
    2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
    Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
    Automatic CCT
    1980GH Special, Restored
    Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
    '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
    Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

Re: That's what I love about this site...

Originally posted by Cobia
      Now I feel I can do this with ONE eye closed and the other hand hoding one of those green bottles with the red star!!!
      Well... if you cleaned the carbs correctly... you have to do it with one eye closed... as that would be the one that gets the shot of carb cleaner...
      Who was it that said - the carbs are only clean if you get shot in the eye through every hole?
      81 SH Something Special
      81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
      81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
      80 LG Black Magic
      78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
      For those on FB

Comment

RE: "one eye closed... "

The stuff I used is so strong that it probably would have caused permanent blindness had it gotten to an eye!!
        I guess I would have to use the stuff in the green bottle as emergency eye wash then.
        1980G Standard, Restored
        Kerker 4 - 1
        850 Rear End Mod
        2-21 Flashing LED Arrays on either side of license plate for Brake Light Assist, 1100 Lumen Cree Aux Lights,
        Progressive springs, Showa rear shocks
        Automatic CCT
        1980GH Special, Restored
        Stock Exhaust, New Handlebars, 1" Spacer in Fork Springs, Automatic CCT, Showa Rear Shocks
        '82 XJ1100 (Sold)
        Automatic CCT, RC Engineering 4 X 1 Exhaust, K&N Pods, #50 Pilot Jets, YICS Eliminator. Sorely missed.

Comment

I tend to agree with the consensus, keep the "Guru" qualifications the way they are. I have had my engine and transmission down to nothing but parts, put them back together again and it all worked. but I am by NO means a guru in any way. I see all the knowledge floating around on this site and have come to the conclusion that I know NOTHING. I like to read the posts, pick up information where and when I can. I share what little I know but it isn't much. love this site! Have a nice day and ride safe
          I am the Lorax, I speak for the Trees

'80 XS1100 SG (It's Evil, Wicked, Mean & Nasty)

'79 XS1100 F R (IL Barrachino)

'00 Suzuki Intruder 1400 (La Soccola)

'77 KZ400s (La Putana)

Comment

Hi Guys,

We are all just learning, and come in here to take as well as give.

I regard the "status" titles as a guide to how long people have been around and how much time and interest they have in the site (and the bikes!), not as a way of telling whether their opinion is good.

The quality of information stands by itself; Good info can come from "newbies", and Cr@p still smells like Cr@p no matter how often you smell it.

The titles should stay as they are.

AlanB
            If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Hey Kat,

If you are the Den Mother type.

So I'm happy with my comic relief/ Den Mother status and the friends I've made and will leave it at that...
              this must be John
              Nubee

Comment

When in Rome...

Personally I feel that it is somewhat ludicrous to assign Guru status based soley on one's post count.Does this truly reflect a level of knowledge and wisdom of the XS/XJ1100's?Yes and no...I too feel there are many ppl here who's post count is less than 1000 but yet their knowledge and their CONTRIBUTION would make them worthy of the title GURU.On another forum for my other bike...a discussion was raised abt giving members titles like we do here.It was shot down...big time...it seems over "there" they give their forum members plenty of recognition for their contributions...in the form of Member of the Month and member of the Year.Recently they started a Newbie of the Month award.It was felt that assigning a status to a member baased on post count alone was impersonal and did not really tell you anything abt that person's contribution.So within any particular forum...YMMV.I have no problem with the way things are done here and I find it refreshing that things are done a little bit differently....Personally I could give a rat's @$$ abt guru status...I am here to learn and have fun making new friends...to me thats priceless...
                1980 XS650G Special-Two
                1993 Honda ST1100

Comment

madmax-im

Just my 2 cents

....Personally I could give a rat's @$$ abt guru status...I am here to learn and have fun making new friends...to me thats priceless...

Well said, I could not agree more with your closing statements.
                  Trying not to offend since Aug 28, 2010

Disclaimer: I am an idiot. Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.
                  Owner of:
                  1979 XS1100F (The Pig)
                  140 mains
                  45 pilot jets
                  Floats at 24mm
                  Running Rich

"Arrogant, delusional tyrants can't be stopped by earnest words and furrowed brows. Action, strong bold action coming from a position of strength and determination, is the only effective deterrent." -Mitt Romney

Comment

I kinda like the present system in which any post whore (such as myself) can quickly reach guru status.

It should be noted that I'm no longer a post whore since I disconnected my home computer from the internet. It became a complete waste of time. I can catch up on emails and such in an hour every week or so at the public library.
                    Shiny side up,
                    650 Mike

XS1100SF "Rusty", runs great, 96k miles
                    XS650SJ "The Black Bike", engine from XS650H with 750cc big bore kit, 30k miles

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in one pretty and well preserved piece, but to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, worn out and defiantly shouting, "WOW, what a ride !" - [URL="http://www.flyingsnail.com/Sprung/index.html"]Sprung[/URL]

Comment

WildKat is more of a "Den Mutha"...
                      "Time is the greatest teacher; unfortunately, it kills all of its students."

Comment

Working...
                      X