Custom 79 1100 parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I figured

I figured this much i was so excited when i saw them on mikes and then got sad when i saw 650 lol ohh well anyone else have any ideas where to get one

Comment

www.z1enterprises.com

cycle-recycle

www.mikesxs.com

BikeBandit
      '81 XS1100 SH

Melted to the ground during The Valley Fire

Sep. 12th 2015

RIP

Comment

Z1

Thanks that place looks good

Comment

That wasn't what I meant

Fred dear, you should know me enough by now that I'm not completely helpless. I was trying to get to the bottom of what Custom79 was looking for.
          Does he want a solo seat?
          A replacement original?
          A custom fit from the original pan?

It would seem he got what he was looking for. Good, that is what's important.

To me 'basic' tools include, metal snips, ball peen hammer, die grinder, stilson wrench, etc. and the juice to beat, tear, pull the crap out of something to fabricate it to what I want it to be, and what will work better than the original.

It's hard to point someone in the right direction without something to go on. That was my point.

Besides, if he thought he could fabricate a whole new pan out of a raw piece of sheet metal-on my suggestion-that would've spoken volumes...
          80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
          79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

Havent found it

Thanks but i havent found a seat yet...and your right i am sorry i didnt include what i wanted so here it is a single seat no riders sorry lol.....I was thinking a springer seat but thats too bobberish and i am trying my hardest to stay away from that look my uncle sugested a seat on the frame so i am trying to find both to compare again any input is awesome

Comment

MIKES XS

ok so i did a search for interchangeable Parts and TomKat was doing a thread of parts that are interchangeable from mikes and the 1100......was this ever a finished list if so where is it....also what years are interchangeable i need some hard to find parts mainly a special gas tank and dont wanna spend the money for the wrong part thanks and you can slap me if i am asking too many questions lol thanks again

Comment

Try this for some interchangeable parts

Part Number Finder
                Most parts are listed... I know they worked on it for quite some time and it's very helpful...
                81 SH Something Special
                81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
                81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
                80 LG Black Magic
                78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
                For those on FB

Comment

Not what you said

Hi Carolyn,
                  in a reply to my post you say:-

" Besides, if he thought he could fabricate a whole new pan out of a raw piece of sheet metal-on my suggestion-that would've spoken volumes..."

But that's what you told him to do:-

" - - - if you are reasonably creative and somewhat handy, you could do the seat yourself. There are some threads here about what others have done. The seat pan is sheet metal-easily manipulated with basic tools, foam can be had at any fabric store, so can vinyl. Or you can buy a replacement seat cover for around $30 - - - "

And the last time I bought a Travelcade Saddleskin it cost me $95. If you can source them for ~$30 please tell me where?
                  Fred Hill, S'toon
                  XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
                  "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Hi Fred,

She did say"manipulated"..... not "made from scratch".

My SG came to me as a rear-end wreck; frame was bent behind the shocks, ally rail was missing and the rear guard (Fender?) was creased.

I managed to "Manipulate" the pan back into a shape which fitted the straightened frame..... but I certainly could not have made a passable replica in steel.

I was actually easier modding the seat a little further, fitting a non-standard tail unit, and pretending that I wanted it to turn out that way! LOL! LOL!

AlanB
                    If it ain't broke, modify it!

Comment

Made from scratch?

Hi Alan,
                      to me, "made from scratch" starts with a pile of iron ore, charcoal and limestone and I'm sure that's not what Carolyn meant. I did assume she meant that Custom should pound one up from 22ga sheet steel. Silly me.
                      But further posts reveal that the lad wants a single seat but don't like the look of an aftermarket springer seat. OK, here's what I'd do:- Start with a beat up stock seat and carefully rip it apart. Cut the pan off short where the rider's part stops and oxy-acetylene weld on a rear cuff made from the leavings. Saw off the carefully saved seat foam with a bread knife and use contact cement to stick on any extra bumstop that may be needed, again, salvaged from the leavings. Any fool who can borrow a sewing machine can make a new cover. That leaves holding the shorty onto the bike. The front tongue will still be there but those stock bolt down thingies went away along with the back half of the seat pan. (those things are eminently re-sellable BTW) I'd think about a bolted on U-shape each side that fitted over the frame tubes, each with a quick release pin going through it underneath the tube.
                      Fred Hill, S'toon
                      "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Stock seat

OMG thanks fred didnt really think of doing that i am still open to the springer seats just havent found one i like yet sorry just really picky but as far as the factory seat that doesnt sound like a bad idea one problem with that lol i bought the bike with out the seat lol didnt mind cause i wasnt planning on using the stock seat anyways damm me well if i wanted to go that route i think i could find a stock seat again thanks for the input and if anyone sees a 79 special tank could you let me know i wanna put that on instead of the big boxy standard tank thanks

Comment

and NOW you decide this?

"if anyone sees a 79 special tank could you let me know i wanna put that on instead of the big boxy standard tank."
                          Hi Custom,
                          where were you last fall when I was attempting the exact reverse of that. I made the swap with another list member and (give or take a screw-up or two by my alter-ego "Mr. Stupid") even as I type this the final coat of paint is hardening on my delightfully big boxy Standard tank.
                          Betcha there's many another Special owner would want to straight trade you.
                          Failing that, Andreas Weiss can usually fit you up with a Special tank. Note that the Special tank's gas cap and fuel taps do NOT interchange with a Standard's and while the fuel level senders physically fit either tank they work in a different way.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                          X