Custom 79 1100 parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Custom 79 1100 parts

Ok so after google and searching i am at a loss i go to alot of sites and i am just looking for a good site to get some custom parts handlebars and such mainly seats....ok i am not sure if this was where is should have gone if not i am sorry just would like some input on some good sites thanks

the usual suspects

Dennis Kirk? J.C.Whitney? Where have you been looking?
    Fred Hill, S'toon
    XS11SG with Spirit of America sidecar
    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Everywhere.....

will they fit though

Comment

7/8" after market bars fit, some may need risers/set backs tho...
        Can get a little creative and fab a seat pan out a fiber glass...cover it yourself or have it made.

I saw a real nice 750 honda chopper today. Most I've seen were pretty funky or just plane lame. This one not only looked pretty good (custom frame, seat, tank, bars, lights etc., it also was running straight pipes and even ran good.

mro
        the road not taken lead to where?

Comment

hey Custom, a guy on another forum I frequent makes killer custom seats, If you got the budget for it you should see what he can do.
          heres a link
          custom seat and leather work
          "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
          "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
          79 XS1100 modified standard
          Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
          pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
          straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
          new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
          Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
          Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
          owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

If you dont want to chop off an arm and a leg, I would stay away from J&P cycles. Looks to me like they sell the same stuff as other sites but at a 200% mark up. Just My $0.02
            just compare some prices on handle bars
            "Beware of any man that owns a pig farm"
            "Hence the meaning of the Saying,.. As greedy as a pig"
            79 XS1100 modified standard
            Chain Drive, Monoshock,extendend hand built swingarm, 200 rear
            pod filters,150 mains,45 pilots
            straight pipe 4-2 exhaust
            new to me 05 Kawasaki zxr12r man does she fly
            Owned 83 Honda V65 Magna
            Owned 02 Vstar 650 classic
            owned 85 Honda Shadow VT 700C

Comment

J&P Cycles

Its funny cause i Have there book at my desk and i was looking through it but damm they are expensive

Comment

Couple of ideas

First, can you fill out a little more about yourself in your profile? Where are you, what kind of occupation(mechanically inclined, etc.), just so we're not talking out of your league or worse, talking to you like you just fell off the turnip truck...
                Second, if you are near water, go to a local marine shop and find out who their upholstery guys is. He can probably fabricate a pan and seat for you for a very small amount of money. With marine guys too, you can get almost any color of the rainbow or combination thereof, their stuff is made to be outdoors and wet, and the colors won't fade. Better grade of materials for marine applications. IMHO.
                Third, if you are reasonably creative and somewhat handy, you could do the seat yourself. There are some threads here about what others have done. The seat pan is sheet metal-easily manipulated with basic tools, foam can be had at any fabric store, so can vinyl. Or you can buy a replacement seat cover for around $30 from several sources. If you have a bike like mine(80 G), the seat pan has little teeth that hold the upholstery in place, just little tabs you fold over with the material pinced inside.
                Handlebars are a personal preference. Look around at other people's bikes, check out how you are comfortable on your bike-sitting up, bending at the waist, etc. Almost any 7/8 bars will work. Some may need other items-risers, etc.-to be right. Even clubmans work, if you want to ride in that position all the time. It's entirely up to you.
                Good luck, and put up some pictures asap. Well, after you flesh out your profile a little more.
                80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
                79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

Handlebars

OK, no one has mentioned using MikesXS for handlebars. They have a great selection with pictures and they're cheap!

MikesXS
                  1979 XS11 Special (slightly modified)
                  dubbed the "Mad Mosquito"

MikesXs Pod Filters
                  MikesXs 35k Coils
                  8mm plug wires
                  42.5 Pilots 142.5 Mains
                  (Carb tune by GNEPIG Performance)
                  Kerker 4-into-1
                  Shaved emblems
                  Progressive frt springs lowered 1.5"
                  Progressive 11.5" rear shocks
                  Harley Dyna rear fender chopped
                  Custm side mt tag (apparently illegal)
                  Custom Dual Headlights
                  Lots of time and hard work.

Comment

" The seat pan is sheet metal-easily manipulated with basic tools, "

Hi Carolyn,
                    you never were a sheetmetalworker, right?
                    The XS11 seat pan, as are most others, is a complex deep pressing. Reproducing one from flat sheet with hand tools is eff nigh impossible. I would never even think of trying to hand build an exact replica of one. If a person could borrow a seat pan they could use it for a plug to make a mold to form a fiberglass replica seat pan in.
                    Or (and this is the best way) buy a used seat pan or a beat up complete seat, strip it to bare metal, get any required repairs done and get it repainted. Now take the pan to a professional seat man and hold out your billfold.
                    Fred Hill, S'toon
                    "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Sorry

I will update my info as soon as i can i am at work right now but fyi i am from upstate NY and I know my way around a shop and thank you for the info but i dont really live by water but i will find something....and pics are coming thanks again

Comment

MikesXS

Mikes site was great and i thought i found all the stuff i needed until i realized it was 650 site darn me well does he have a site for 1100

Comment

About MikesXS

Hi Ryan,
                          Mike Lalonde has built up a really good niche organisation that only sells XS650 parts. If you ask if they have this or that XS11 part they will say they only sell parts that fit an XS650. OTOH there is a great deal of parts interchangeability between all of the XS series Yamahas and there's a whole bunch of stuff in Mike's catalog that will in fact fit on an XS something else, including the XS11. But it is entirely up to you to find out what those parts are.
                          Many have said that's a strange way to run a business but Mike is by no means going broke doing it his way. Lotsa Mike's parts on my XS11; lots more on my son's and my XS650s.
                          Fred Hill, S'toon
                          "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Interchangeable Parts

Well right now a big thing i need is the wire harness so does the 650 wire harness swap to the 1100 no problem?? i found it on there so i hope so cause i would like a new one

Comment

Getting into harness

Hi Ryan,
                              wiring harnesses are one of the exceptions to XS650 parts swapping like Lego. Harnesses don't hardly even swap between different years of XS650, let alone fit any year or style of XS11.
                              Where you'd get a new replacement harness for your bike I have no idea although others might. I'd try our Andreas Weiss (see his ad in the XS/XJ parts column) for a used one) I got a harness from Andreas that worked well on my bike. Be sure and specify the exact year and type of XS11 it's needed for because there are subtle differences.
                              Fred Hill, S'toon
                              "The Flying Pumpkin"

Comment

Working...
                              X