Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been lurking out here for several days. After reading most of the posts in the discussion section Sat. I decided to join. The information I read here has already saved me hundreds of dollars!I recently acquired a 1982 XJ 1100 Maxim from an old (literally) friend. The bike has less than 8,000 miles & has been sitting for many years. I would like to ask advice from members. I've never used a forum so I don't know the correct proceedure. garyb

Hey Gary,

Welcome and congrats on your find.

Aside from the threads in the tech discussion forums, you should take a few more days and read the ones in the TECH TIPS forums, scrolling down from the MAIN FORUM PAGE, not just the links in the left yellow column because several newer tips are NOT linked from the left column!

In the Misc Forum there is a thread on what to look for in a neglected XS/XJ11, and it will give you plenty of pointers on what you will need to do to get your machine properly prepared for SAFE riding.

Then, as you are working, IF you come into a problem, you can first search the TECH DISCUSSION forum for possible previous threads...most everything has been discussed many times before!

SO...wondering about OIL will reveal hundreds of threads, but a more refined search for FINAL DRIVE or MIDDLE DRIVE OIL would reveal more specific info, etc.!!!

Have fun, get it running right, and you'll be enjoying it for many years and thousands of miles to come!!
    T.C.
    T. C. Gresham
    81SH "Godzilla" . . .1179cc super-rat.
    79SF "The Teacher" . . .basket case!
    History shows again and again,
    How nature points out the folly of men!

Comment

you've found it!

You've found the 'fountain of youth' for these bikes. The people on this site are the best around.
      Check the threads, use the searches, all will be revealed.
      Good luck and congratulations on your acquisition.
      80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
      79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

Ahhh yes it is the fountain of youth. Both for me and my bike. It is also a fountain of knowledge with all the guys here working together for the betterment of the XS/XJ 110's. I also can be a huge drain on the time spent as being a member here seems to eat time while aquiring the above noted knowledge and the comraderie of the guys is just something you end up needing your daily fix of. But I love it! One more thing I find draining on this site is also my wallet. I hear, see, read and I want to do it all to my bike. Even though most guys have many money saving tips or links to cheaper suppliers sometimes I just gotta have that part and right now. That is my own fault but after reading so many grand ideas on here many more just pop right in the old brain pan too. Welcome to the site and I hope you have as much fun as i am having.
        2-79 XS1100 SF
        2-78 XS1100 E Best bike Ever
        80 XS 1100 SG Big bore kit but not fully running yet.
        Couple of more parts bikes of which 2 more will live!

Comment

Here, here!...

Rasputin, you nailed it!
          So many ideas, so much to accomplish, and yet gas prices keep going up-damn! I so could've used that money somewhere else!!
          80 XS1100G w/ Windjammer-the Witch
          79 XS1100F

"Look Ma! No hands!...."

Comment

Welcome to the site!

Lots of knowledge and lots of helpful people here...
            81 SH Something Special
            81 frame, 80 tank and side covers, 79 tail light and carbs, 78 engine, 750 final drive mod, Geezer rec/reg, 140 mains, LH wheels

79 SF MEAUQABEAUXS
            81SH Nor'eas tah (Old Red)
            80 LG Black Magic
            78 E Standard Practice

James 3:17

If I can make at least one person smile, or pee their pants a little, or maybe spit out their drink; then my day is not wasted.

“Alis Volat Propriis”

Yamaha XS 1100 Classic
            For those on FB

Comment

Thanks for the responses, instructions & kind words. I'll be getting (more) bleary eyed usining Top Kats suggestions. My hope is to be able to give back to you. I owned an automotive specialty tuning shop 35+ years ago, when it was fun. There is still an old Allentest ocilliscope analyzer with a 2gas infrared in the polebarn.....

Comment

Working...
              X